Yaesu

Status
Not open for further replies.

echo4929

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
48
Hey there, I just had a few questions about the Yaesu radios...

Do I really need a 5 watt output or will 1.5 watts do the job?

Which one would you reccomend? Yaesu VX-3R or the Yaesu VX-FT60R?

If I live in an area wit big cities...do I really need a 5 watt output?

Thanks so much!
 

n2mdk

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2007
Messages
2,446
Location
Ames, IA
I lived most of my life in NYC and with all the repeaters available there and my very good location, it's better to have the 5W available to you, especially using rubber duck antennas. In places like Manhattan with it's concrete canyons you do need the extra power a lot of the time.
Like I did in the other thread I say go with the FT-60 or another full power HT.
 

echo4929

Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
48
So, if I live in a big city area...its best if I have 5 watts right?

I really like the VX-3R and I have found a very good deal on it...the only thing is that it only transmits 1.5 watts. I guess im going to have to spend a little bit more and get the FT-60R
 

SEMTTP

Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
1,024
Location
Ypsilanti Michigan
echo4929 said:
So, if I live in a big city area...its best if I have 5 watts right?

I really like the VX-3R and I have found a very good deal on it...the only thing is that it only transmits 1.5 watts. I guess im going to have to spend a little bit more and get the FT-60R

It is of my opionion and my opionion only that all portables should be 5 or 6 watts. There are so many times that I have heard Ham Radio operators using the "minimum" amount of power and wonder why they are not making the local repeater. This really gets under my skin. Something you have to remember is if your going to use a portable, its just that its portable and needs all the help that it can get. Get the 5 watt version and just be happy.
 

n2mdk

Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2007
Messages
2,446
Location
Ames, IA
echo4929 said:
So, if I live in a big city area...its best if I have 5 watts right?

I really like the VX-3R and I have found a very good deal on it...the only thing is that it only transmits 1.5 watts. I guess im going to have to spend a little bit more and get the FT-60R
Yes it really is, as I said in the other thread the VX-3 is really not what I call a first radio, it's something that nice little and handy but it's going to leave you wanting more. More output power, more audio, etc.
 

wogggieee

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,228
Location
Hugo , MN
Go with the higher power model. It's there if you need it and if you dont you should be able to turn the power down.
 

klinquist

Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
47
wogggieee said:
Go with the higher power model. It's there if you need it and if you dont you should be able to turn the power down.
Agreed. I'm a new HAM operator and picked up a Kenwood TH-F6A. I recommend this radio highly... (I think someone is selling one in the classifieds here). Full 5W on VHF & UHF.
 

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
8,728
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
I don't agree and there really is little to no difference in going from 5w down to say 2.5w on a handheld except for increased battery life and less chance of a brain tumor. if your a little noisy at 5w then going to 2.5w might be a little nosier but in reality will probably go unnoticed. A lot of people go from high power 5w to their lowest power around .5w and that is certainly a big jump and will take its toll. Upgrading to a longer aftermarket antenna will have more affect on signal quality than doubling your output power. The Yaesu VX-3R is a great little radio and its covered in a seperate thread.
prcguy
klinquist said:
Agreed. I'm a new HAM operator and picked up a Kenwood TH-F6A. I recommend this radio highly... (I think someone is selling one in the classifieds here). Full 5W on VHF & UHF.
 

scansomd

Member
Joined
May 16, 2002
Messages
242
Location
Southern Maryland
Yes, you need a 5 watt output. Do the people who will be listening to you a favor and use 5 Watts. It has been my experience those who use ‘low’ power on repeaters are often scratchy and marginal. YMMV. There are some occasions where 1.5 watts will do the job. For those occasions, a reduced power feature is available on your radio. Most of the time 5 watts are needed; sometimes you will wish you had even more.

Of the two radios you mentioned, I recommend the FT-60.


echo4929 said:
Hey there, I just had a few questions about the Yaesu radios...

Do I really need a 5 watt output or will 1.5 watts do the job?

Which one would you reccomend? Yaesu VX-3R or the Yaesu VX-FT60R?

If I live in an area wit big cities...do I really need a 5 watt output?

Thanks so much!
 

wogggieee

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 30, 2005
Messages
1,228
Location
Hugo , MN
klinquist said:
Agreed. I'm a new HAM operator and picked up a Kenwood TH-F6A. I recommend this radio highly... (I think someone is selling one in the classifieds here). Full 5W on VHF & UHF.
I have that radio as well and would definitely recommend it.
 

zz0468

QRT
Joined
Feb 6, 2007
Messages
6,036
Personally, I think it's a bad idea for a new ham to start out with a handheld radio. Even at 5 watts, performance could be marginal enough that frustration sets in, the radio gets set aside, and the new ham finds a less frustrating hobby. I've heard that this is a common reason why there are so many new hams that never go anywhere or do anything with their license.
 

mlconnell

Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2006
Messages
0
Location
El Paso, TX
Just my opinion but I started out in 1996 as a NEW HAM with an ICOM IC-2GXAT. It was a Full 7 Watts and was only a 2 meter radio. It was great in the city with the local repeaters and even better in the car with a cigarette lighter for power and an external antenna. Worked pretty good in the city for local repeaters. Later on I bought a Dual Band Mobile for increased power when I traveled. I recently traded an FT-7800R for a FT-60R because I needed a H.T. - I love the FT-60R as it has the extended receive also all the way to 999 Mhz (Cellular blocked). Was already moded to EXT TX. (Extended Transmit).
Definantely get the 5 Watts. Any less and your wasting your money ! Only my opinion !


73
KC5VVL
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,935
Location
Katy, TX
zz0468 said:
Personally, I think it's a bad idea for a new ham to start out with a handheld radio. Even at 5 watts, performance could be marginal enough that frustration sets in, the radio gets set aside, and the new ham finds a less frustrating hobby. I've heard that this is a common reason why there are so many new hams that never go anywhere or do anything with their license.
I agree with this stance. Too many new Hams end up buying a HT, finding out that they are limited to about 5 or 7 miles in coverage (and that is repeater distance) and become frustrated at that. They can hear the repeater, but can't talk to it. A regular, single band (2M), mobile radio will serve you much better as a first radio and can be had new for between $130 and $170. See here:
AES 2 meter radio pricing
 

eorange

Secret Agent Man
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
2,306
Location
Cleveland, OH
I had a VX-1R as an extra HT, but at 0.5 watts it sounded like popcorn into most repeaters and so I sold it.

The FT-60 is my only HT and it's solid. If you go mobile with it, an NMO mag mount antenna with even modest gain will MORE than get you into local repeaters. I've been on the PA turnpike and hit repeaters about 15-20 miles away with this setup.

Although, I don't disagree with having a solid mobile rig. That's where my 75W V8000 comes into the picture. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top