Yagi calculator help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Theres a few different calculators out there, but is there one or some way I can calculate a Yagi for a frequency range, I've been looking for ways to come with an antenna, I have built one, but I have no clue what kind of frequency I'm getting on it. I'm looking to build 2 more and I'm looking for the ranges of 400-500Mhz and 700-900Mhz. The whole thing confuses me, but I've built one so it shouldn't be that bad.

Guess I'll put up a picture of the one I built.

Last edited:

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Hey it worked just not sure how good LOL, now just looking to do it the right way, but like I said I know theres many calculators out there, but I'm looking for a way to calculate frequency ranges instead of one specific frequency.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Ahh its all starting to make sense now, although the log calc didn't seem to work, I'll try it again.

Let me ask this now and I'm sure its been asked many, many times before, but which would be better, a Yagi, Log Periodic, discone, or something else for what I'm doing. What I'm doing you may ask is I'll be using it for scanning both UHF and 700-800 Mhz ranges, at a distance.

Last edited:

KC0QNB

Do you want omni directional performance, or do you only want to listen in one direction, all band coverage or one band coverage, if so which band. These are things you need to consider, before we can assist.
For example if you live 20 miles north of town and you want to listen to that town only go with a yagi, and point it at town, on the other hand you live in a large city that uses several bands you can't beat a discone.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Well I would like to cover both UHF and 700-800Mhz digital, so I would guess all band and would like to get a range of about 25-50% in the part of the state I live in. I'm going to guess that a discone would be good for this. I'm in Colorado and about 20 miles north of Denver and would like to cover most of north central and a bit to the east and west of that.

Here a pic of the simple wire antenna I put up the other day and it makes a world of difference compared to just the rubber duckies. Its just a temp install, planning on putting up an antenna tripod.

Last edited:

N1BHH

If everybody took the initiative and built antennas, the world would be a nicer place. We should all learn one simple lesson from this, that constructing something on your own is the most rewarding part of life. Accomplishment is king. Glad you built this antenna. I hope more people get the bug. I have built beams for 2 and 1.25 meters, J-poles, ground planes and many others and I can say I am glad I learned how it's done and was satisfied that I could build it myself. Pat yourself on the back and build more good projects, isn't that a load of fun?

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
It is and I built the whole antenna for next to nothing, I've had all the PVC laying around. Thats why I've kinda been asking around, cause I don't really want to buy one right now, although I've been looking to buy a roof mount antenna tripod, but can't find them anywhere in stores. I have more pictures in the shack pictures forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.