Yagi question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4wxp

Was thinking about getting a PCtel 12 element UHF yagi for listening to distant GMRS and 70cm Repeaters, etc. on an SDRplay.

I'm guessing that (as it's only for receive purposes) it'd also be usable on the VHF portion of the spectrum as well as doing a bit of FM Broadcast DX Listening with some decent gain.

Any ideas what kind of receive radiation pattern / beamwidth etc a UHF yagi of that caliber would have on VHF and the FM BCB?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A UHF Yagi is not going to work well on VHF. The measurements will be all way off and that will impact performance.

If you want FM broadcast DXing capability, get an old TV antenna, or build a dedicated Yagi for the band. Building a simple Yagi isn't hard.

prcguy

A UHF Yagi will not work at all on VHF, or not any better than about 6" of coat hanger wire sticking up in the air. I take that back, At VHF, a UHF Yagi will work worse than 6" of wire sticking up in the air. Not only will it not have any decent gain for VHF or FM broadcast DX, it will have considerable loss compared to a 1/4 wave ground plane.

A Yagi works at a very specific frequency plus or minus some small percentage. At UHF a typical Yagi can have up to about 20MHz of band width and any gain and useable patterns start dropping off quite rapidly outside its design range.

w4wxp

I guess I could always just build an array of Rhombic Antennas in the cardinal directions...

merlin

Better off with a VHF Yagi. Vhf is poor on a UHF antenna. UHF on a VHF Yagi works OK but nothing of the gain you would have with dedicated antennas and switch.
FM broadcast DX, buy or roll your own 3 element Yagi and maybe an RCA rotator.
Receiving VHF, UHF, FMbc, an older log periodic type TV antenna and a preamp, you will hear any signals that are getting to you.
Hey, don't be fooled with this miles of range stuff, if a signal is reaching you, you get it, irregardless of range.
No such thing as a digital TV antenna either,,RF emission is analog,period.
73s

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.