Yagi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtfinder

I am looking at buying a yagi antenna to reach the hard to get 800mhz cc that I would like to hit. My question is do I get an 8 element, 12 or what? And two, do I have to have a direct line of sight to even make it work?And three, Which yagi is best for my situation? I have seen a lot of yagi antennas and they range in cost a little Thanks for any suggestions

LarrySC

Several factors come into play. Type of scanner. Your elevation. Distance to 800 tower. Length of coax run. Anything in between you and tower? A Yagi has a 62 deg azimeth and it does not have to be 100% dead on. Post more info.

RISC777

[I can pick up 800 MHz at that distance in Colorado on an ST-2 with 3 to 4 bars of signal strength.]

But . . . any decent, yet not too expensive, 800 MHz yagi should do the job. Keep in mind the higher the antenna the better, the shortest the cable run possible the better, and . . . your mileage may vary.

N

N_Jay

Can you get a signal without the Yagi?

If not don't bother, but if you can get even a noisy signal then get all the gain you can afford.

The beam-width of the yagi goes down with gain so at higher gains aiming starts getting critical.

Status
Not open for further replies.