• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Yahoo slurp spider???

Status
Not open for further replies.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
I've gotten sent here after doing a search for information. Guess that makes me a spider. spider.gif

edweirdFL

Premium Subscriber
My guess is they are the automated web crawling processes used by those sites to index and characterize the hits they show when a search is performed.

Ed

NightFox

They are part of the search engine to keep it updated. They browse your site and index keywords and cache your website. They are harmless.

Scram

Yep, NightFox hit it on the head..

They cache the pages on the website, and browse all files on your FTP that aren't protected, reads all META tags and indexes them, and a bunch of other functions..
Than someone goes to Yahoo, or Google and types in 'Radio Scanning References' and the most relevent (the one with the closest matching phrase in it) and most visited displays on top.. =D

car2back

cool! that's kinda what I figured, but thanks edweirdFL, Nightfox & Scram for confirming and explaining that!

mdulrich

Premium Subscriber
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Mike

car2back

mdulrich said:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Mike
I know how to use Google Smart-@$$. How about "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all" :roll:

cnmsales

Premium Subscriber
Dont think he was being a smarta$$. I might be wrong but being married i know sarcasim when I see it. :)

mdulrich

Premium Subscriber
My original answer had two points. First, if you do a search what you find is the result of a spider. Second, if you would have done a search before you asked you would have gotten your answer. That's what I did when I saw your original question and I had the answer L O N G before any of the others answered you. I guess if I summarized what I found you would have appreciated my answer.

I don't know why so many people ask questions that are easily answered by doing a simple search on the internet, a look at their scanner manual, or even a search of previous questions on RR. I don't have a problem with good questions that are asked here, it is a great place to learn. But there are way too many what is the best antenna, scanner, coax, etc. questions that get asked over and over.

Mike

Last edited:

car2back

Well, I don't know why when some people on RR don't have anything to contribute towards a question they have to post something saying to search previous posts or to look it up on a search engine. Why is that?

If your not part of the soultion, you're part of the problem. If someone posts a question that not good enough for you, why don't you just ignore it. There's over 86,000 registered members of this forum, Mike. I am sure you're going to run into quite a few posts that you may feel are a waste of your time or you know nothing about so why waste EVERYONES time posting a reply that is no help to anyone?

Last edited:

cnmsales

Premium Subscriber
Well you can read his signature "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't." That should tell you a good deal about his personality. Sorry we dont run linux and come up with validated reasonable questions. This is a forum if you didnt realize.

Google defination for Forum: An online discussion group, where participants with common interests can exchange open messages.

Guess you didnt GOOGLE that one did you?

eorange

Secret Agent Man
Sometimes it's just easier to ask in a forum and get a pointed response than wade through 10 pages of search results.

Sometimes people LIKE to answer common questions and help people out.

And sometimes they don't and you get no answer, in which case that's your cue to use Google.

USAPatriot

People like to socialize. Hell, we could dispense with the forum entirely and just set up autoresponders that would send files with freqs. Want California LEO freqs? Send an email to calileo@ra***reference.com (DON'T DO IT...IT'S JUST AN EXAMPLE!!) and the system would shoot you all the info you'd need.

But that wouldn't be much fun, would it? Google doesn't do much for a person's social skills, especially for someone in their early teens. Forums do, at least as much as one can from a computer. -Rod-

mdulrich

Premium Subscriber
eorange said:
Sometimes it's just easier to ask in a forum and get a pointed response than wade through 10 pages of search results.

Sometimes people LIKE to answer common questions and help people out.

And sometimes they don't and you get no answer, in which case that's your cue to use Google.
Then I guess we shouldn't look things up in the database or wiki, we should just ask in a forum. If we don't get an answer, then we go and look it up. :roll:

Mike

mdulrich

Premium Subscriber
cnmsales said:
Well you can read his signature "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't." That should tell you a good deal about his personality. Sorry we dont run linux and come up with validated reasonable questions. This is a forum if you didnt realize.

Google defination for Forum: An online discussion group, where participants with common interests can exchange open messages.

Guess you didnt GOOGLE that one did you?
My signature line is relevant to digital forms of communications and has nothing to do with my personality. You don't know me.

Also forums are what the Romans were famous for and we all know what happened to the Romans. :wink:

Mike

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Well, I don't know why when some people on RR don't have anything to contribute towards a question they have to post something saying to search previous posts or to look it up on a search engine. Why is that?"

Have you ever considered the possibility the old timers here who have seen the same questions asked ad infinitum may just be a LITTLE disgusted at the lack of motivational skills and the "instant gratification" attitude of the lazy?

Seek and ye shall find, if you don't know just ask where, not what!

"My signature line is relevant to digital forms of communications and has nothing to do with my personality."

Don't you mean "personalities"?

"You don't know me."

But I do Sybil, I know all ten of you. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.