Yamhill County, High Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Today I drove up HighHeaven road, and in between ycom to sheriff and police transmissions I could hear Eugene "frank" units. Very weak, but I could still hear em. Pretty far away... I was on 460.6250, in the Eugene RR, that freq is listed as a TAC channel for the Eugene PD.

Last edited:

mh34444

Its crazy how far away a transmission can be picked up when the stars line up correctly. At night I can pick up OSP Tillamook from just south of Oregon City while listening to OSP Portland without a PL tone.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Yeah its pretty awesome, Ill do that sometimes, just switch to csq and try to hear whats to hear ;]

jeremym70

I tracked the Lane County UHF trunk system using my 396 with stock antenna last year for an afternoon about 20 miles NE of Vancouver on a 1700 foot hill. There was some weird weather going on that day definitely. I have tried it again several times from the same location and I can't hear anything even with an outside antenna.

mh34444

That's OSP Newport you're copying = 154.935 156.7
OSP Tillamook = 154.86 179.9

Yah I had looked that up in the database as well. Its coming through on 154.935, but the landmarks they are mentioning are clearly Lincoln City, highway 18, etc. Strange.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Awhile ago I posted in another thread that I was on that same frequency - 460.6250, and I heard Skamania fire dispatch all the way from Skamania County, Washington, I was at the intersection of Woodland Loop Rd and Highway 240 at about 4 or 5pm. It was pretty crazy, at first had no idea what I was hearing, then I heard them dispatch a call to I beleive the city of Carson. Its so weird how the waves travel when the right conditions are met.

ac7nu

I remember a few years ago when I was a cop in Yamhill County and they were still on the low band system, during the summer time we would have a hard time hearing Y-Com because California Highway patrol would come in so strong.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
O wow thats pretty crazy, but completely understandable, were you with the sheriffs?

ac7nu

City of Carlton about 4 years then over to City of Yamhill for another 4 years. I remember many time during traffic stops when we would have to damm near stand on the hood of our cars with our portables high in the air just praying we could hit the repeaters.

Last edited:

PMJ2kx

Premium Subscriber
I had no idea CHP used lowband. I would've thought they would at least be using UHF, if not 700/800MHz.

ac7nu

Cop yes, CHP maybe? I could be wrong. Due to the locations they were pulling stops, thats who we figured they were. They would call out stops on spots like Hwy 41 and I think the other was Hwy 180 but almost always on the hwy. I know that CHP ran low band out in the flat lands for many years. Heck I remember when OSP (Beaverton) was on Low band (42.880 if I remember right)

joescanner

Just another radio geek.
Cop yes, CHP maybe? I could be wrong. Due to the locations they were pulling stops, thats who we figured they were. They would call out stops on spots like Hwy 41 and I think the other was Hwy 180 but almost always on the hwy. I know that CHP ran low band out in the flat lands for many years. Heck I remember when OSP (Beaverton) was on Low band (42.880 if I remember right)

Accoding to the database, CHP is still on low band. And then this thread indicates that there is a conversion under way to move CHP up to 700/800MHz now.

OSP or ODOT still has some lowband freqs licensed. Wonder what they're using 'em for. (VMS? Hiway cams?)

ac7nu

I've done some work in some of the ODOT field offices and have seen the multi channel low band base stations still fired up and working so they are still monitoring them in some areas

Status
Not open for further replies.