YAND Problems: Trying To Get Working

BOBRR

Hello,

Having a devil of a time trying to get Yand working.
Will blame it on old age now; a great excuse for most anything.

I am using a new Icom R8600 receiver.

It appears that simply the program is not seeing the radio, I think ?

In the Audio input button, there are apparently three options that come up:

Microsoft Sound Mapper
Stereo Mix (2-Realtek High Def)
Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)

None work.

I have turned the radio audio to max.

Radio is tuned to 518 KHz USB. Correct ?

Have no idea how to use these audio VB cables that have been mentioned. Or an external sound card.
Do I really need to implement one ?

Could it simply be some setting in the radio, perhaps ? (LAN setup)

I remember from many years ago when I did have it working, that it was a pretty basic setup,
and I doubt that I had any virtual cables, etc. implemented.

Would be most appreciative for any thoughts or suggestions.
Likely something very simple that I am, as usual, missing.

Much thanks,
Bob

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Old age is a great excuse hihi, I do it all the time. Perk of being a Senior Citizen.

When I use Yand I use a SignaLinkUSB in between my rcvr and my laptop. It's just a somewhat expensive outboard soundcard. That's not saying you need one though.

You have the correct frequency and mode but you may have to tune a bit higher or lower slowly until Yand locks on the signal.

Are you using an audio cable from your rcvr to your computer?

In order to decode Navtex (or also DSC) signals, the receiver should be in the CW position. Then use the narrowest possible filter (500 Hz) and then tune it exactly to the frequency. If you use USB for reception, you have to tune down about 1 kHz (at least in my experience).
If the R 8600 is operated and the sound output is via the PC, a VB cable is also required, which according to your statement does not seem to be installed (Microsoft Sound Mapper, Stereo Mix (2-Realtek High Def), Microphone (USB Audio CODEC) Alternatively, the R 8600 could also be connected to the PC (Line in) via an audio cable (Line out).

PS: When did you try to receive Navtex? During the day or at night? Please also consider the propagation conditions for the selected frequency.

BOBRR

Hi,

Certainly does keep this old brain well exercised.
Two clarifications, please:

a. What is "CRF" on the middle meter in Yand ?
At the moment is is over 100 while the Inp. Level is zero.

Will keep playing with the various options under the "Audio Input" button, and the Sound options
in W10.

b. And, are you saying that I do Not require a VAC if I pipe the audio output from the
radio to the Line-In on my pc ? Or, it is still required ?

Regards and thanks,
Bob

CRF indicates the signal to noise ratio. The higher the value, the better the ratio between noise and useful signal. However, this value is only displayed correctly for bandwidths of approx. 400 - 1000 Hz (according to YaND instructions).

That the input level is at ZERO indicates that YaND has no input signal.

If the IC-R 8600 is connected to the PC via an audio cable (I'm not sure if it has a line output) you have to select the appropriate input in YaND. If the audio signal goes directly to the PC, you need a VC cable. But that should also appear in YaND in the audio setup.