Yaesu: Yaseau FT-7900R Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased the radio years ago and always have used the face separation kit with the long cable. Now, as vehicles have changed I would like to use the radio with the face plate attached the the base. I'm assuming the radio originally came with a small cable to connect the base to the face but for the life of me I can't find it. I've checked the manual and looked through the forms and I'm unable to find this mystery piece. Does anyone have this radio with the original short cord or explain what I need to get this working again. All help appreciated!

wrath

You can call yaesu and order it , I know many people who have done the same thing, I will warn you those damn things are expensive , I myself save all my boxes and manuals with the parts and pieces that are unused in them, it makes finding the stuff easier and if you sell the radio later increases the price. I actually about three years ago had the face plate of my 8900 stolen ,cost me $200 at the time to replace, I suppose someone on here might have the pinouts for the cable and you could build it,from what I can remember its not a straight cable because I tried that and it didn't work when I remoted the head .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Pretty simple to make your own if you have an RJ type crimper.
If I recall correctly, it was a 6 conductor "silver satin" type cord with an "RJ-22" connector on the end.

Pretty sure the connectors were flipped. When the flat cord is laying down, the tab is up on one connector, down on the other.

Back when I had a FT-7800, the earlier model of this radio, I made my own extension cable and bracket to hold the head. When the radios first came out, the remote head kit was some ridiculous price close to $100.

Luckily I got the radio and they threw in the remote head kit for something cheap. My fear of making my own is that I will cross two wires and mess up the head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Station51

Might take a look on eBay for the wire or even a complete "junk" radio
I have had the same experience, but fortunately I finally found the missing wire.
Actually.....I just searched "YAESU FT-7800 & FT-7900 Short Head Cable"
and there is one for like 5 bucks!

Last edited:

mrweather

You can roll your own with 6-conductor modular cable and a couple of RJ-22 ends. Make sure it's wired pin-to-pin ("straight through").

The new Fusion mobiles (100DR and 400XDR) use modular cable as well and what look like RJ-11 ends. But they're narrower so making up your own isn't as easy since standard RJ-11 ends are too wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.