Yasesu 7800r

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Jerry_

I was in the market for a low-budget radio/scanner and the ft 7800 caught my eye. While it isn't a dicission maker, I was wondering if it recieved conventional analog signals. Thanks in advanced!

N8IAA

_Jerry_ said:
I was in the market for a low-budget radio/scanner and the ft 7800 caught my eye. While it isn't a dicission maker, I was wondering if it recieved conventional analog signals. Thanks in advanced!

Are you meaning analog trunking signals? Then, no.
If you mean VHF, UHF signals, yes. It is not just a dual band ham radio. I use my Icom 2720 as a public service scanner and milcom receiver in the AM portion of 225-390mhz.
Larry

_Jerry_

Thanks!

Thanks for the answer. I do have another question though. Is there a way to disable tx'ing on frequencies I program to scan (ie public safety)?

selgaran

_Jerry_ said:
Thanks for the answer. I do have another question though. Is there a way to disable tx'ing on frequencies I program to scan (ie public safety)?

If you are buying a new radio, it will not be able to transmit on those frequencies. If you are buying a used radio, it might have been modified to be able to transmit in such places. If so, there are several ways of preventing unintended transmissions, the best being to undo the mod.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I really wonder why everyone seems to have all these modded radios :roll:

Anyway, if you have a modded radio, you can set the offset (per Ch) to a much larger number. If it is 155.340, set the TX offset from the stock 0.6mhz to something like 40mhz, that way it will be trying to transmit on either 115.34 or 195.34, both well outside where the radio will transmit. I had to do that after buying a used HT that I did not know had the super-wacker-mod :lol:

kyguy

The 7800 is a great radio! The programming software I use for mine allows me to disable tx on any channel(s) I choose. Are you using software, or programming by mike?

ImTheWeasel

Just a general question about this unit- Can it do an offset of "4.795" ??? I've looked all over for this info, but couldnt find it. I need it to be able to do that offset so it will work with our local EOC input freq.

Thanks!

SAR923

Yes, it can do any offset you need. Of course, the radio will have to be modded to transmit outside the ham bands, which is not legal in the US, and your county communications officer may have a problem with a non-type approved radio being used under the county's license. But you knew all of that anyway, right? :)

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ImTheWeasel said:
Just a general question about this unit- Can it do an offset of "4.795" ??? I've looked all over for this info, but couldnt find it. I need it to be able to do that offset so it will work with our local EOC input freq.

Thanks!

SAR2401 said:
Yes, it can do any offset you need. Of course, the radio will have to be modded to transmit outside the ham bands, which is not legal in the US, and your county communications officer may have a problem with a non-type approved radio being used under the county's license. But you knew all of that anyway, right? :)

It's possible its for an odd offset on 440mhz (yeah, right) but even though we know a bunch of idiots use radios in an illegal manner every day, maybe some people still care about obeying the law as well as just doing the "right" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.