Yaseu Ft-7900 special key setup, is it possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seymourmtn

Premium Subscriber
Greetings
I would like to setup a special key, such as 1-5 .
I would like to be able to press 1 key and skip the current channel. Maybe another to unskip.

Is it possible?

Thanks
Doug
KK4RSJ

k6cpo

There are programmable keys on the microphone, but near as I can tell from reading the manual, that isn't one of the functions you can program them with.

D

DaveNF2G

One of the drawbacks of the menu-driven Yeasu (and other brand) transceivers is that it takes more than one step to perform almost any function. There is a lock-out-annoying-channel function in the 7900 (I can't remember the actual term used right now and the manual is in the van with the rig), but it takes more than one keypress. It might be possible to do it without looking at the rig with practice.

k6cpo

One of the drawbacks of the menu-driven Yeasu (and other brand) transceivers is that it takes more than one step to perform almost any function. There is a lock-out-annoying-channel function in the 7900 (I can't remember the actual term used right now and the manual is in the van with the rig), but it takes more than one keypress. It might be possible to do it without looking at the rig with practice.

It's the "Skip" function and it's part of the "Set" Menu. To set a memory channel to "Skip" requires seven different actions:

1. Ensure the radio is in Memory mode, you are on the channel you wish to skip and the radio isn't in scan mode..
  2. Push and hold the Band/St button.
  3. Use the Dial knob to select menu function No. 40 "Skip"
  4. Momentarily press the Band/Set button.
  5. Use the Dial knob to choose what you want it to do. The are three choices: Off, Skip and Only.
  6. Momentarily press the Band/Set button again.
  7. Press either the PTT key or press and hold the Band/Set button to return to Memory mode.
You can then start scanning again and the selected channel will be skipped during the scan.

You can then start scanning again and the selected channel

D

DaveNF2G

I must have been thinking of a different radio, maybe the FT-857, that had a "shortcut" to skip memory channels during scan. As I recall, such lockouts were cancelled when the radio was turned off.

I just checked the FT-7900 manual via Yeasu's website and it has no such function.

N0GX

Premium Subscriber
Nuisance delete, one of the main reasons I use commercial gear for my ham stuff.

The Yaesu FT-90R had a nuisance delete feature, but it's the only ham rig I've ever seen that had it.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Nuisance delete, one of the main reasons I use commercial gear for my ham stuff.

The Yaesu FT-90R had a nuisance delete feature, but it's the only ham rig I've ever seen that had it.

Not that big of feature to switch to old commercial gear. I think it's a bigger hassle to reprogram an old Motorola radio..

To help the OP out:

You can program channels into different "banks". There's "ALL" then "Bank 1" "Bank 2" etc. Therefore, put channels where you want and that way you can switch "off" the ones you don't want to listen to today.

Status
Not open for further replies.