Yavapai LE/General LE Inter-Dept Comm

firecaptdave

Watch Duty Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Is there a mutual aid freq that PD units can talk to each other? I'm specifically curious about Yavapai County. How would Prescott PD/PV/Chino and YCSO units talk to each other? Does LE have a mutual aid freq similar to VTAC21/154.280 as fire does?

Yavapai LE is VHF FWIW.

Thanks.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
Yes, all fire & law enforcement have the common mutual aid frequencies these days that are a common thing in all radios. That encompasses ALOT of channels which are standardized from VHF to 800Mhz + All common AZ state interagency.

Yavapai County does not have a PSAP 2 way network. Mostly by telephone.

Can a person in the field find these channels, that's another story. Agencies that do LZ should have a zone named LZ. It should have mutual aid 154.280 + other white which are used BY USFS medical keep 154.280 open. Law enforcement can never find 154.280.

firecaptdave

Watch Duty Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Yes, all fire & law enforcement have the common mutual aid frequencies these days that are a common thing in all radios. That encompasses ALOT of channels which are standardized from VHF to 800Mhz + All common AZ state interagency.

Yavapai County does not have a PSAP 2 way network. Mostly by telephone.

Can a person in the field find these channels, that's another story. Agencies that do LZ should have a zone named LZ. It should have mutual aid 154.280 + other white which are used BY USFS medical keep 154.280 open. Law enforcement can never find 154.280.
Well I guess I should have asked if anyone knows what freg(s) Yavapai LE units use to talk to each other. I was fire’s 154.280 as an example of a mutual aid freq that units from various depts can use to talk to each other.

KB7MIB

Depending on the attitudes of each agency, they may have each other's channels programmed into their own radios, and they just talk to each other that way.

Otherwise, every scanner owner should have those channels programmed into their scanners:

National Interoperability:

Arizona Mutual-Aid:

(Some channels in those two lists are the same, they just have different designations.)

I have everything but the UHF Medical/EMSCOM channels, and the Arizona Rangers. EMSCOM is no longer maintained in Arizona, and the Arizona Rangers are private, armed security officers who work closely with some law enforcement agencies at special events.

John
Peoria

firecaptdave

Watch Duty Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Depending on the attitudes of each agency, they may have each other's channels programmed into their own radios, and they just talk to each other that way.

Otherwise, every scanner owner should have those channels programmed into their scanners:

National Interoperability:

Arizona Mutual-Aid:

(Some channels in those two lists are the same, they just have different designations.)

I have everything but the UHF Medical/EMSCOM channels, and the Arizona Rangers. EMSCOM is no longer maintained in Arizona, and the Arizona Rangers are private, armed security officers who work closely with some law enforcement agencies at special events.

John
Peoria
Thanks...that's what I'm looking for.

Now that you mentioned it, I do remember hearing a unit from one PD up hear telling their dispatch they were going to another department's freq.

We see the Rangers a lot up here in Prescott since we have so may events around the Courthouse. As you mention they're usually supplementing the local PD.

AzTac

155.475 is (or used to be) the nationally recognized VHF inter-op frequency and is in most Yavapai area agency radios. However, unlike FD's most law enforcement agencies have been slow to embrace the mutual aid radio concept and tend to just do dispatcher phone relays. It's getting better in some areas, but just like it took law enforcement a long time to embrace the IMS protocols, this is slow to progress as well.

n0doz

...the Arizona Rangers are private, armed security officers who work closely with some law enforcement agencies at special events.
It's a bit more complicated than that.
The Rangers are private, that's true, but they are exempt from private security rules and are authorized to perform armed public safety services for a group of non-profit organizations throughout AZ. They have an interesting history dating back to 1901, when they were established to "clean up" the AZ Territory and satisfy the politicians back East that we were ready for statehood, which was granted in 1912. Not a member myself, but they have over 500 folks on their rolls.

KB7MIB

It's a bit more complicated than that.
The Rangers are private, that's true, but they are exempt from private security rules and are authorized to perform armed public safety services for a group of non-profit organizations throughout AZ. They have an interesting history dating back to 1901, when they were established to "clean up" the AZ Territory and satisfy the politicians back East that we were ready for statehood, which was granted in 1912. Not a member myself, but they have over 500 folks on their rolls.

There's at least two books written about the original Arizona Rangers, and there was even a TV series, "26 Men", about them. (The original Arizona Rangers never numbered more than 26.) They were disbanded in 1909. They reformed in 1957 as a community service organization.

John
Peoria

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Here is the present State Statute that establishes them:

Arizona Revised Statutes
Title 41 - State Government
§ 41-4201 - Arizona rangers​

Universal Citation: AZ Rev Stat § 41-4201 (2022)

41-4201. Arizona rangers
The Arizona rangers are an unpaid, noncommissioned civilian auxiliary that is available for the purpose of assisting and supporting law enforcement in this state. The Arizona rangers do not possess any law enforcement or investigative powers that are not provided or established in law for all citizens of this state. Law enforcement support and assistance services are provided on the request of, and under the direction, control and supervision of, established law enforcement officials or officers.

My Editorial: My dealing with them were mixed. Some were okay and some acted as complete whackers - especially one senior member who believed that he was exempt from traffic laws since he was going to a function at Lake Pleasant and claimed such after rear-ending a motorist. When that didn't work, he demanded 'professional courtesy'. That didn't work either.

Back to YCSO, LE doesn't do mutual aid the way FDs and EMS do. There are YCSO frequencies for such, but LE agencies usually command personnel to stay on their own channels for personnel accountability and officer safety. When the channel button/knob moves, some cops get lost and dispatchers don't like it. NIMS is adapted to fit LE and we cops don't have NFPA to answer to.