Yavapai LE Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecaptdave

Watch Duty Reporter
Premium Subscriber
A few questions about Yavapai County LE Monitoring for those in the know:

Is there a county or state wide mutual aid LE frequency, similar to the one for fire? For instance, a demonstration is planned, officers from various PD's will be there; how do they talk to each other? If so, anyone know the freq?

Re: Yavapai Sheriff, they have various mountain tops they use, plus the extenders. Are they all transmitting the same info, or are they used for different purposes? What/how are the extenders used? I'm in the Prescott area. What should I program to hear their primary channel?

Thanks.

KB7MIB

Everything on this page should be in your and every other scanner listener's scanner(s).

The last time I was up in that area, either there was a YCSO deputy in an unmarked vehicle within yards of me at all times, or the extenders are actually mountaintop repeaters, because I heard at least one of them the entire length of AZ 69 from Prescott to I-17 on my way home. And I made several stops along the way to change the ZIP code in my SDS-100 as I went.

John
Peoria

firecaptdave

Watch Duty Reporter
Premium Subscriber
/\ Yes, when I think of an extender, I think of something that gets a handheld transmission to a vehicle, then retransmits it (extends it.) Not sure how YSO's work.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Mount Francis is about 7,100 ft in elevation. Mount Union is nearly 8,000 feet high. Mingus Mountain is 7,800 ft in altitude. All of them house repeaters for many government and amateur radio operations.

The northern, western, and eastern portions of the County have excellent radio coverage. YCSO's coverage in the souther portion of the county is rather sporadic and they often refer to Maricopa County for assistance.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I think that Yavapai Co frequencies need some cleaning up. The freqs listed as “Mobile Extender” are likely not true mobile extenders, but rather UHF links for the VHF repeaters. They seem to have large RF footprints. UHF links typically have a license class FXO, which is how these frequencies are licensed. True mobile extenders (like Motorola VRX, DVRS, old PAC-RT, etc) are typically licensed as class MO3.

I rarely spend time monitoring in Yavapai County, so I will need some assistance from listeners a little closer to validate.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
In answer to FireCaptDave's original question about a mutual aid channel, there is not a dedicated channel for LE use. While the Fire Service has and uses Mutual Aid for expanding fire suppression and life saving efforts, LE does not and it has to do with legal and liability issues. Having a dedicated freq. is considered a luxury and many small agencies don't have the personnel to keep track of multiple channels when a crisis hits.

YCSO and Prescott PD have a dedicated channel and Camp Verde dispatches for a number of smaller agencies in the county. Sedona is split between YCSO and CCSO and that was why they couldn't have a PD for many years. State law didn't allow towns or cities to expand beyond county lines. Now Sedona and Peoria have done so.

Many smaller agencies often buy a few VHF mobile radios [without licenses] and will have YCSO frequencies programmed into them for the chief or duty commander to use for command and control purposes in times of emergency.

Astrak

AIRS and national interop channels should be in LE, fire and possibly county DOT etc radios.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I was up in Sedona to do some monitoring and took my SDS-100. Nothing was received in the evening. I was in a valley, but I expected some aviation, Sedona FD, YCSO, CCSO, and AZDPS... but I received nothing and triple checked to ensure everything was set correctly.

Either the valley I was in is a RF dead zone or it was darn quiet last night.

Driving back, there was radio traffic, but I couldn't log it

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
I was up in Sedona to do some monitoring and took my SDS-100. Nothing was received in the evening. I was in a valley, but I expected some aviation, Sedona FD, YCSO, CCSO, and AZDPS... but I received nothing and triple checked to ensure everything was set correctly.

Either the valley I was in is a RF dead zone or it was darn quiet last night.

Driving back, there was radio traffic, but I couldn't log it

Try change filters.

Know several SDS100 that for no reason go deaf after the warranty expires.

Random on each radio. Some loose airband, close call etc.

Ravenfalls

Premium Subscriber
In answer to FireCaptDave's original question about a mutual aid channel, there is not a dedicated channel for LE use. While the Fire Service has and uses Mutual Aid for expanding fire suppression and life saving efforts, LE does not and it has to do with legal and liability issues. Having a dedicated freq. is considered a luxury and many small agencies don't have the personnel to keep track of multiple channels when a crisis hits.

YCSO and Prescott PD have a dedicated channel and Camp Verde dispatches for a number of smaller agencies in the county. Sedona is split between YCSO and CCSO and that was why they couldn't have a PD for many years. State law didn't allow towns or cities to expand beyond county lines. Now Sedona and Peoria have done so.

Many smaller agencies often buy a few VHF mobile radios [without licenses] and will have YCSO frequencies programmed into them for the chief or duty commander to use for command and control purposes in times of emergency.

When I program a LEO radio, I add Muatal Aid for Central & North AZ along with Calcord.

Not having MA is a poor choice by many radio tech. If the officer is the only person available to block areas for an LZ.

I expect that officer to be able to land the helo without any help from the fire department.

Status
Not open for further replies.