• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

year i got my call 1989

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

I'm KAE9013 on GMRS.

Our GMRS callsigns predate the FCC's Universal Licensing System (ULS) and resemble an old CB callsign. That's actually what they are since GMRS was previously known as Class A CB. KA = Class A.

KAE9013 was issued to me in December 1992. Still have it today.

We witnessed the creation of FRS in 1996 and the invasion of the bubble packs which followed.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
My original GMRS call was KAE-6139. It expired and I was given KAE-9978 (my current call) when I reapplied.

I believe the original CB Class A calls may have been those weird ham radio-like calls like 19W2134. They didn't follow international protocol and the FCC changed them to KAA series in the very early 1960s.

The KA calls were reserved for Class A licensees.

Regular Class D CB calls started at KBA-0001 and were supposed to end at KZZ-9999. The CB craze of the 1970s exhausted those callsigns so another letter was added: KAAA-0001, and so on. All that went away with "license by rule", something I fear may eventually happen with GMRS.

Rick
Wellston Ohio USA
KAE-9978, KBA-3151, W8UU

Hans13

All that went away with "license by rule", something I fear may eventually happen with GMRS.

Since we just had a round of GMRS rule changes, I doubt this service will be going license by rule any time soon. However, that was a very realistic concern before the last changes.

n1das

Since we just had a round of GMRS rule changes, I doubt this service will be going license by rule any time soon. However, that was a very realistic concern before the last changes.
License by rule and rendering GMRS a bubble pack only service like FRS could still happen but I don't see it happening in the near future. It looks like GMRS will remain a licensed service for a while.

It doesn't really matter to me much anymore because I abandoned GMRS and went to FHSS digital on 900MHz with Motorola DTR and DLR radios. The vast majority of my use of GMRS over the years has been for local simplex type use. The Motorola DTRs and DLRs handle this very nicely and work excellent and outperform conventional radios on simplex. A coworker recently asked me why not just use FRS? My answer was that I have already been doing that since FRS was created in 1996 and longer than that as a GMRS licensee since 1992 and using good commercial gear. I want a secure digital end to end solution that is higher quality and more professional than GMRS/FRS and not have to worry about FCC licensing.

I still have GMRS/FRS as a backup and for interoperability but it is no longer my default go-to mode for my local on-site simplex type use with family and friends. I don't use analog radios at all anymore except for amateur radio on 2m and 440.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Hans13

Yup. We agree, not likely in the near future.

Quite a bit of my GMRS usage is repeaters so...
We have a healthy amount of local bubble pack users but they tend to not use the repeater outputs because there is often traffic. It works out well as they tend to stay on the lower channels so there is little issue for either group. We do scheduled repeater nets and at least one operator talks on the repeaters from about 60 or so miles away. Our GMRS community is growing fast once again. More than a few local amateur operators are adding GMRS licenses to their toolboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.