• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Yeh!! APX7000 hits ebay!! 700-800-VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTS3000

Seen a VHF/UHF APX 7000 at the 2010 dayton hamvention for $2800, while 3 other VHF/800's were 2200-2500 each.

PeterGV

K1PGV
Were the Dayton ones legit, or were they 123ABC1234 serial numbers?

Just curious... I'm not buying one until I can get UHF-H + VHF :)

Peter
K1PGV

rc50won

Premium Subscriber
The non tagged V/U's that were at the show are flashable for both firmware updates and feature upgrades and are fully loaded. The tagged radios were factory demo's are not upgradable. You don't want one of those.

M

PeterGV

K1PGV
Hmmmm... I thought the current V/U's were UHF LOW only, not "S Split".

If that's not the case, I need to start saving my pennies...

Peter
K1PGV

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I got my hands on a V/7-800 model for evaluation purposes for a few days. I won't be able to keep it but I can say right now that I would certainly like to.

I am IMPRESSED.

It's smaller than it looks in photos. Lighter, too. Though all the controls are there, it SEEMS like
there are fewer controls, because they're very intelligently shaped and placed. The radio's interface is clean and simple and you won't be hitting the wrong switch or button very often. They're simply not
in the way. They are easily used, even by feel alone, when you want to access them. I view this as a big leap forward in ergonomics.

Audio quality is excellent and the speaker audio is stupendously loud and absolutely clear even at full volume. This WILL cut through the noise and chaos of a busy disaster scene!

The radio I'm looking at has FPP. This implementation of FPP is simply amazing. If you know enough about radio to be qualified to use the FPP feature, you will instantly know what's going on here. Every parameter is easily defined and changed. There is nothing cryptic about it. It's even better than XTS5000 FPP, which is very, very good in and of itself.

Channel by channel, the radio does not care at all if you want to mix and match VHF and 7/800 frequencies in the same zone. You just type in the frequencies you want and as long as they're within
the limits of EITHER RF band in the radio, it accepts it. There is no switching between the two RF
bands as far as operator requirements go. You just choose your channel(s) and the radio does the rest.

The CPU is fast and the radio is very responsive to control inputs. From power off to operation it takes barely 3 seconds to boot up. Lag when changing channels or moving switches is so little as to be virtually zero. It keeps up with any fast channel changes.

By comparison, the Thales Liberty takes something like 14 seconds to boot up and be ready to use and nearly that long to shut down. It's also a monster of a brick of a radio by modern standards.
The APX is tiny by comparison.

The APX feels like a cousin to the Saber. It's a thinner radio than an XTS5000 and close to as thin as
an Astro Saber. Maybe it's even closer to an SSE5000, which I suppose is its cousin.
These ergonomics really work well for me. I think most users would like it.

RF performance: I'll be able to give better information on that after I put it on my test bench and fully spec out the receiver and transmitter, but I can say with some confidence that it has a HOT receiver.
Hooking it up to a mag-mount VHF antenna, I was able to hear distant stations at full quieting which
were a little bit noisy when heard by my very healthy and sensitive Spectra installed in my vehicle.
So it actually seems to be more sensitive than a healthy Spectra. The transmitter seems to do a
good job, giving me at least as good talk range on simplex as any other HT I've ever used, including
my Astro Sabers and XTS5000s. On 2 meters with the mag-mount antenna I was able to carry on conversations with amateurs on base station radios over 20 miles away, easily.

On the 800 MHz side of things, by a matter of pure luck, when I got the radio it was programmed for
a bunch of conventional 800 frequencies used in the Los Angeles area. Some of them are common
to a Motorola trunked public safety system used in an adjoining county. I am able to hear calls on that system at full quieting.

The display is, of course, bright, clear, and easy to read. The smaller top display alone is of very high quality, easy to read, and adequately informative, but the main display is all you'd expect of a large full color display like you'd find in most any modern cell phone. It's not cluttered with
extraneous junk and just gives you the information you need, and in a very clear format.

Also, the front display's backlight never turns completely off. It stays on in dim mode when you have
not been using the controls recently. Press any button and it goes to full brightness and the keypad backlighting turns on.

I observed at Dayton that Motorola dominates the HT market even among amateur radio operators. Hams like the features that Motorola puts into portables, such as loud clear audio and the ability to drop the radio without breaking it. I predict that even with the high cost, the APX is going to be
a runaway hit just like the XTS5000 became popular beyond all reason given its high cost.

Motorola has a guaranteed winner here. This radio WILL come to dominate the public safety market
and will be a highly sought-after item by radio enthusiasts for many years to come.

There is only one thing not on the radio that I would have liked to see and that is an XTS5000-style backlit illuminated channel selector, however this really is not needed as the top display is right
there beside the selector and easily readable day or night. It auto-illuminates when you turn the selector. Still, I would have liked to see that.

I would also think that with this radio's considerable memory capacity, Motorola should give you a
wallpaper option for the front display. When the radio's controls are not being operated, it would
be nice to be able to display a graphic relating to your organization, such as your unit patch or department's shield or even your own badge and number.

One interesting feature is that there is a small port inside the battery compartment for a micro SD memory card. I don't know exactly what Motorola will use that port for but I'm sure it will eventually come in handy. Maybe they'll even enable programming from that card port.

Elroy

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I got my hands on a V/7-800 model for evaluation purposes for a few days. I won't be able to keep it but I can say right now that I would certainly like to.

I am IMPRESSED.

Elroy

I had a V/7-800 model to evaluate a few months ago and my feelings are exactly the same. They put a lot of thought into it and I think they really came up with a winner. Even if it was ordered as a single band radio I know our PS users would like it just based on the form factor alone.

Mark

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Then look for the rumored APX 6000, which will allegedly be the single band version of the same radio. And less expensive, of course. It should be physically the same or extremely similar.

I'm sure that will sell like mad when it hits, too. Just the thing for all agencies that don't need or want multi-band radios.

Elroy

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Then look for the rumored APX 6000, which will allegedly be the single band version of the same radio. And less expensive, of course. It should be physically the same or extremely similar.

I'm sure that will sell like mad when it hits, too. Just the thing for all agencies that don't need or want multi-band radios.

Elroy

You can order the APX7K as a single band only radio that price is right in line with an XTS5K on my contract. The only problem is that all new accessories must be purchased.

mancow

Database Admin
And with all that it does they still only made it dual band. :roll: I just don't get it. hopefully a tri-band will some day come available.

Status
Not open for further replies.