Yes, Another Recommendation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I recently bought and installed a simple MaxxTenna wide band antenna on my roof. It’s a simple PVC pipe with a solid copper element inside and a length of coax. It works. At first I thought it was working awesome, but after some more time with it, I’m not totally convinced. I am running a Whistler TRX-1 with the antenna and I’m honestly not sure I’m getting anything more then I was getting before with the rubber duck from inside my house. I have a second TRX-1 coming tomorrow so I’ll do some testing. If it turns out that the MaxxTenna isn’t performing, I’m looking for a simple, aesthetically pleasing antenna that works well for freq’s mostly in the 140.000 to 160.000 range. A few UHF things but only a few. Nothing in the 800’s.
I looked at the OmniX from DPD Productions which looks promising, but I’m still finding mixed reviews. I’m really looking for something as stealth as possible, which is why I went with the Maxx to begin with. Any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Mike_G_D

If you can mount on the roof and want stealth in the VHF-Hi range try looking at he Ventenna: Untitled.

I would think that it would work much better than the thing you have, which, I'm sorry to say, is really pretty much a "snake oil" antenna. There are many of these, unfortunately, infesting the online order sites.

Some might say the same of the Ventenna but it really is a solid design and concept. Been around for some time as well. I think in your case it's worth a look.

Even better might be to make your own coaxial dipole which has no radials and looks just like a straight rod so not too sightly. Lots of design and construction advice on these online.

-Mike

Mike_G_D

If you can mount on the roof and want stealth in the VHF-Hi range try looking at he Ventenna: Untitled.

I would think that it would work much better than the thing you have, which, I'm sorry to say, is really pretty much a "snake oil" antenna. There are many of these, unfortunately, infesting the online order sites.

Some might say the same of the Ventenna but it really is a solid design and concept. Been around for some time as well. I think in your case it's worth a look.

Even better might be to make your own coaxial dipole which has no radials and looks just like a straight rod so not too sightly. Lots of design and construction advice on these online.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.