Yes, i'm new and would have used search but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

nautlynch

...i'm not sure what to search for. This is my first scanner and i've been studying how to program this but it's becoming overwhelming. This is as far as I got:

I copied all the blue and red control frequencies here: Portland Public Safety Radio System Trunking System, Portland, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies and pasted into control dialog in Freescan. Then I copied select talkgroups in "easy grab" or whatever it's called and imported to Freescan. I then messed around with the dialog and went with mot II standard. I then uploaded to scanner.

The only thing that seems to be working is simulcast backbone but it seems like it's all random. How do I listen to just the police or other talkgroups.

Did I mess everything up? I really don't have a clue what i'm doing.

W6KRU

Make sure you are using ID Scan not ID Search. It will be scrolling on the display. You didn't specify which scanner you're using and that will help with further questions.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you are using one of the Uniden DMA scanners - and that's what I would gather if you're using FreeScan - we have 2 documents linked in our wiki (anything in blue is a link) that will help.

The first is our DMA FAQ, which has many links to different topics - but most importantly, at the bottom of it, are the links to the Easier to Read manuals for the scanners, both printed and downloadable varieities. They're a much better read than the nasty Uniden manuals...

Uniden DMA FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

The next is the online help for FreeScan, which is also in our wiki. When you're online, you can access it by using the Help/Online Help in the toolbar, or use the direct link below

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

best regards..Mike

nautlynch

Thanks for the quick responses. The scanner is a BC346xt

I have it on ID scan now I don't hear anything even with the squelch all the way off. It goes from (I guess) each broadcast station to another without stopping with nothing locked out (I think).

Some of the terminologies that are defined, I don't know what....seems like I need the definitions defined.

DickH

I copied all the blue and red control frequencies here: ...

You need only the 4 simulcast control channels; 858.7125, 858.7375, 859.2625 & 859.4625.
All those other control channels are in the 9 Intellirepeater (fill-in) sites. Those only work with units affiliated to those sites. That may explain your spotty reception.
Also, SCAN lets you hear only the Talk Groups you have entered.
SEARCH lets you hear ALL active Talk Groups.

Last edited:

nautlynch

Thank you, I will edit. I am experiencing no reception when set to ID scan though. There must be some incorrect setting somewhere.

I was also wondering if it's possible to use the beartracker warning frequencies in close call priority for a similar warning effect.

I appreciate the responses as I find learning through a manual difficult. I guess one can call it a tactical learning perspective. I need hands on and to be able to ask questions to stay focused. I am grateful this message board is here.

nautlynch

I'm not sure how this happened but I did not need to edit. Just the four frequencies are already in place.

Attachments

• 12-19-2011 4-19-10 PM.jpg
    12-19-2011 4-19-10 PM.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 330

DickH

I'm not sure how this happened but I did not need to edit. Just the four frequencies are already in place.

Your screen shot shows only the 4 control channels, yet you said you copied ALL of them.
Only the 4 is right.
Where did the list on the left come from? I don't see any Talk Groups there (for example, Fire Dispatch is 28944). also, I see Milwaukie Fire. They are part of Clackamas County Fire Dist. 1 and do not use the 4 TGs listed in the database.

rwier

.............................. This is as far as I got: I copied all the blue and red control frequencies here: Portland Public Safety Radio System Trunking System, Portland, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies ...................................Did I mess everything up? ..............................

I should probably keep quite, but this warning is highlighted on your link, above. Not sure if it has been mentioned or if it might be a factor.

"One or more sites for this trunking system have gone through the 800 MHz rebanding process. Your scanner may be incompatible, require a firmware update or require special programming to track these sites. Please visit the RR Wiki Rebanding page for additional information."

DickH

I should probably keep quite, but this warning is highlighted on your link, above. Not sure if it has been mentioned or if it might be a factor.

"One or more sites for this trunking system have gone through the 800 MHz rebanding process. Your scanner may be incompatible, require a firmware update or require special programming to track these sites. Please visit the RR Wiki Rebanding page for additional information."

Does not apply to this discussion. If you know how rebanding works and look at the freqs. in the simulcast system, you will see that all those freqs. are not affected by rebanding.

nautlynch

Well, I don't know how only those four control frequencies show when I copied all the blue and red freqs.

As far as firmware update goes, this scanner came with 1.05 which is the latest firmware I think.

I am still not understanding something. ID scan does nothing. ID search brings up simulcast backbone only and will follow a conversation briefly but then jump on another group.

I don't know why talk groups are not there. I thought those were talk groups. I copied and pasted what looking interesting from that link.

I've only had a few hours to figure this out. It's not as easy as I thought it would be.

**edit - ID scan is working now and there are a lot of "found channels" after using "search and store"

The display only shows simulcast and now "found channels" and ID number it still does not show the name of the talk group such as portland police **.

Another thing: will my scanner become obsolete soon and should I return it for a digital because of this page?: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6830

Last edited:

DickH

... I don't know why talk groups are not there. I thought those were talk groups. I copied and pasted what looking interesting from that link. ...

Re. the list on the left side of your screenshot. Those are not Talk Groups. There is nothing like that in the RR database.
Here is a typical Talk Group entry in the RR database.

24816 60f A PDX TAC-3 Business

24816 is the decimal (DEC) Talk Group ID. - This is the form used in scanners.
60f is the Hex ID. - We don't use this form in scanners.
A is Analog (D would be Digital)
PDX TAC-3 is the Talk Group name.

Re. Portland 700MHz. I have read, "... they HOPE to have equipment in place by 2017"

Last edited:

nautlynch

As I posted in the Oregon forum:

I may just send it back because it's not user friendly for beginners and i'm getting frustrated and turned off. I don't want to hear that the bus is leaving the terminal along with a bunch of random transmissions with the audio cutting off every few seconds.

....waits for "don't let the door hit you on the way out"........

nautlynch

Your screen shot shows only the 4 control channels, yet you said you copied ALL of them.
Only the 4 is right.
Where did the list on the left come from? I don't see any Talk Groups there (for example, Fire Dispatch is 28944). also, I see Milwaukie Fire. They are part of Clackamas County Fire Dist. 1 and do not use the 4 TGs listed in the database.

Unfortunately you were adding to my confusion. The screenshot only shows 4 control channels because that is assigned only to simulcast. Each tower has it's own control channels. The reason you aren't seeing groups is because simulcast is highlighted. All the groups are bracketed on the left with [GRP]

I'm beginning to understand this system.

DickH

Unfortunately you were adding to my confusion. The screenshot only shows 4 control channels because that is assigned only to simulcast. Each tower has it's own control channels. The reason you aren't seeing groups is because simulcast is highlighted. All the groups are bracketed on the left with [GRP]

I'm beginning to understand this system.

There are 4 simulcast sites (your "towers"?). Each site uses ALL the same freqs., thus all the same 4 control channels. That's why they are called simulcast, because they broadcast everything SIMULTANEOUSLY. Those 4 CCs are all you need to monitor the entire system. REMOVE ALL THE OTHERS.
The other sites (towers?) are fill-in sites for difficult reception areas and are only used by units in those areas. It's called "affiliation".

nautlynch

Thanks DickH. What if I travel in the outskirts of the city or in areas that are difficult to receive? Will the scanner use those other sites? There are 10 sites and each one has a different frequency. There are many areas around Portland that are even poor for cell phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.