Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopyII

Let me preface this with the following, I'm not interested in turning this particular thread into a discussion about the concept, thoery, advantages, disadvantages, legitimacy, legality, hardware or software required. Plenty has already been discussed on all of the previous, I dont wish to re-open that can of worms over and over. A simple yes or no.

So, at the risk of getting e-tar and feathered and set on fire, (you only live once I guess) does anybody monitor locally using the hidden channel/talkgroup method? If you wish to remain anonymous, you can PM instead of posting on the open fourm.

So, at the risk of getting e-tar and feathered and set on fire, (you only live once I guess) does anybody monitor locally using the hidden channel/talkgroup method? If you wish to remain anonymous, you can PM instead of posting on the open fourm.

I am thinking he is asking if folks only monitor new and or encrypted talkgroups. But I could be clear out to the left on this.

E-tar and feathered, I thought that was a Facebook thing.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Let me preface this with the following, I'm not interested in turning this particular thread into a discussion about the concept, thoery, advantages, disadvantages, legitimacy, legality, hardware or software required. Plenty has already been discussed on all of the previous, I dont wish to re-open that can of worms over and over. A simple yes or no.

Considering I could not understand you encrypted message I am unable to answer.

Jim<

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
>hidden channel/talkgroup method<
Wow, I've played with radio for 40+ years and I've never heard of that one.

N

N_Jay

>hidden channel/talkgroup method<
Wow, I've played with radio for 40+ years and I've never heard of that one.

That is because they are hidden. (Duh) :twisted::lol::twisted:

(Obviously a joke, but just in case some one here did not grask I was joking, I want to state it as so.)

(Ok, so now just o be clear, I am not insulting anyomne who happened to think I was not joking)

(Well, just in case I have touched any nerveds, I also aplologize to anyone insulted that woudl joke about such a serious topic)

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Alright guys, now unless the OP can clarify what he/she was asking, let's let this one go.....

snoopyII

I am thinking he is asking if folks only monitor new and or encrypted talkgroups. But I could be clear out to the left on this.

E-tar and feathered, I thought that was a Facebook thing.

Actually, it has nothing to do with encrypted TG's. To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to circumvent them. - Also, I'm not on Facebook, I was unaware of that e-tar and feathered was used there.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm so confused.

..... And that's MY final answer.

n8myc

I think I get what you are saying. Do you mean a city has x number of talkgroups listed and within that list there are gaps that another talkgroup would fit into mathematically? If that is your question, then yes I do put those in and hope for the best.

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ok yes I get it ,,,,,,,Like for Longmont on Sunset tower I Have found 9513 as a test dispatch channel (me thinks PD but not possitive yet) so one might assume 9514,15 , 16 or maybe 95 12, 11,10 so on And Boulder fire grounds DTRS freqs 9111,9112,9113 and I recently have heard traffic on 9114 so logic ly guessing 9115 would be next as other TG's for that specific town and or service is that what you are asking Snooppy?

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I think I get what you are saying. Do you mean a city has x number of talkgroups listed and within that list there are gaps that another talkgroup would fit into mathematically? If that is your question, then yes I do put those in and hope for the best.

Good guess but not even close to what the original OP was asking.

Jim<

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Read the entire thread in the link found in my last post and you'll know what he's asking about, and why he asked about it so cryptically.

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Oh, now I get it....Crouching talkgroup - Hidden channel. Saw the movie.
I've used all sorts of walkies over the years for work: Moto, Johnson, GE, etc. As a scanner guy, I've used every feature on every model, and there are some cool ones, too. But none of them ever came close to what my scanners were (and are) capable of. Plus, the real radios tend to be bigger and heavier than a scanner.
The problem things for people that want to use a real radio as a scanner seem to be either -
- the scanner looks too much like a toy (good criticism, especially older radios.)
- the "real" radio transmits (and if you aren't authorized, a really, really bad thing to have.)
I guess if a guy wants to spend 2, 3, or 4 times as much for a "real" radio that does a tenth of what my 396XT does is OK.... his money and all. Just doesn't make sense to me, after 30+ years of toting heavy-a$$ radios every day (and wishing for something small and light!)

Status
Not open for further replies.