Yet again: N9JIG Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Some equipment changes caused me to rearrange yet again. Here we go from left to right:

Desk2.jpg

Far Left, Top Row:
Pro96, THF-6A, PSR-500, BCD396T and the the official CARMA Wireless Mic (170.245), MFJ Key and keyer (One of these days I will re-learn the code...)

Second Row:
Cimarron MDC Decoder, BC780

Row 3:
2 BC780's, each with a CSI CD-1 PL/DPL/DTMF decoder.

Row 4:
Pro83, Pro43, another Pro83, BC330, DSJ-11, RS Freq Counter, all in front of the Astron RS50 power supply.

Center Desk, Top Row (L to R)
Pro2096, BC785D, BC785D, Pro2096, 4 BC15's

Center Desk, second row:
BCD996T, PSR600 CDM-1250 (VHF), DR-635, CDM1250 (UHF), Monitor for the two PC's under the desk.

Center Desktop:
R8500, TS-440, PS-50

Right desktop:
2 monitors (30 inch, 23 inch Apple Cinema Displays) for the Mac that is barely peaking from under the desktop. Above the 30 is my little Fujitsu tablet PC.

I use the 2096's and 785's mostly for Pro96Com on the local StarCom21 sites. The BC15's are used mostly for Fire Tone Outs, 3 on regular local channels and the 4th for confirming found tone sets and CloseCall operations. I have another BC15 in my living room and a Plectron in the bedroom to monitor the local fire district.

The BC15's are fed by a 4-port wide band Stridberg multicoupler, the 785's and 2096's are fed by a 4 port 800 MHz. Stridsberg. The 996, 600 and 780's are all fed by an 8-port wide band Stridsberg. All 3 Stridsbergs are fed by scanner antennas in the attic. The 8500 and 4 transceivers all have there own antennas in the attic.

I figured there are enough airplane nuts around, so I tossed in a shot of the various 1/200 scale airliner models. I want to get a couple of the Airbus's I am missing (300, 310, 330) and the Douglas/MD's (DC-8, DC-9, DC-10) as well as a 707, 787 and L-1011 to round out my collection of full-size modern airliners.

planes.jpg

CLTX11

For how cluttered that looks, It is actually very organized. Looks like you need a bigger room :)

Looks good though, wish I could afford all those scanners!!!

jmtyra

Premium Subscriber
Wow -- that's....wow.....and.....damn
Nice setup, hate to see your electrical bill =p

gbakerj

Great looking setup. I have the exact shelves for my shack, they are great. Make it easy to get to everything. Very very nice indeed.
glen
W5HKE

N9JIG

Sheriff
gbakerj said:
Great looking setup. I have the exact shelves for my shack, they are great. Make it easy to get to everything. Very very nice indeed.
glen
W5HKE
A few years ago we remodeled the second bedroom into our office that my wife and I share. We stripped it bare and painted, then put in an Elfa system from the Container Store.

The system uses a horizontal steel channel along the ceiling joist mounted with large lags. The vertical dual channel shelf supports hang off the channel and then the individual brackets hold up the various shelf and desktop pieces. The desktops are 54 inches wide, the shelves are 24 and 30, so you offset the verticals so they support the joint.

This allows a huge number of combinations and is easily changed without drilling into the walls.

The original setup was (and again is) 6 desktops in a large "J" shape wrapping around the room with shelves scattered about.

The radio desks and shelves are actually in what was the closet of the bedroom, slightly above the page scanner in the picture is the support for the sliding closet door that I removed to open the area. I took out the closet shelf and hanger rack and added the Elfa stuff. The antenna wires come in thru a hole in the ceiling within the closet so they are pretty well hidden.

The Elfa stuff is nice since it is sturdy, clean looking, allows great flexibility in layout, and leaves a 1 inch space between the shelf and wall for wires.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I looked in my archive and couldn't find the pics you took several years ago of your attic antenna's, Rich. Do you feel like climbing up in the rafter's and taking a few snapshot's of the covert antenna farm?

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

tmfok7

N9JIG said:
I figured there are enough airplane nuts around, so I tossed in a shot of the various 1/200 scale airliner models. I want to get a couple of the Airbus's I am missing (300, 310, 330) and the Douglas/MD's (DC-8, DC-9, DC-10) as well as a 707, 787 and L-1011 to round out my collection of full-size modern airliners.

planes.jpg

If you can get a model of a 787, you're doing better than we are! They can't even get one on the field for flight test! Nice looking shack you have there!!!

money911

may i ask what it is that you do for a living, because i would consider rearranging my life for that....

but super nice set up, im a newbie at this and that makes me want to get into it so much more, how long have you been gathering that collection

N9JIG

Sheriff
kh6idf said:
I like your airplane models! I have a 767-200 model on my shelf. First airplane I worked on after getting out of college. If you're looking for a 787 model in 1:200 scale, I found one here at the Boeing store:

http://www.boeingstore.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=77&id=4952

I think I am going to hold out for a Hogan, they come with landing gear and are cheap. I don't want to get Boeing colors, I prefer an airline scheme. Maybe BA, I don't have them yet and I have flown them a couple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.