Yet another agency gone dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
I know it's not an agency that most of us would monitor on a regular basis, but with three kids in school and a wife who teaches in Jefferson county schools, it's disappointing to see that Jefferson Public Schools Security has flipped the switch effective yesterday, the 29th. It appears that both channels have been flipped. I am planning to email the director and ask him out of curiosity what the rationale was on making the decision. I'm not aware of any specific incident involving Jeffco Schools that might have prompted the switch.

snoopyII

Read between the lines here guys--- this is a prelude to what's coming down the line. Jeffco Schools Security?? - let me guess, the school officers probably roam all over the county as part of their duties...what a great way to very quietly "test things out".....

Insulator

Maybe this is in the wrong place, if the administrator please do move it and per my permission. According to 9 news, Broomfield pd is going E. Reasons given as usual. It is getting sickning now in Colorado.

wowologist

Certifiable
Really its just plain rude. But alas what is really happeneing is the "controlling authority" is drinking the koo laid of the sales pitch of "it cant be cracked nor monitored". Herein lies the problem, (and it may not really effect a school district security force with 5-10 users) whenever the E is activated each and every unit in the wild is potentially a direct back door into their entire system including the IP side. A unit that has not been killed quick enough can potentially be hacked into a zombie unit, literally not only granting them (the bad guys) access to the E code and hash, but escalating the control of/to the system from the zombied unit. Large manufacturers "silenty" allude to this to the site radio engineers but alas it's usually someone completely clueless to the danger that they are potentially granting the bad guys but turning the E on. They think their getting one over on the bad guy and doing good...when in reality ....they are setting themselves up for a very bad fall. That's why larger departments use E only as necessary and generally only on high impact channels (IAD, SRU command etc.) and those units in the wild are accounted for like bricks of gold.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
County has been in the process of moving over to ENC for sometime, I believe Douglas is in the pipeline as well.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Encryption in this case actually makes sense to me. Anytime you are dealing with building or event security, you want as little information about officer movements, locations, etc available to the public as possible.

Which is why departments that encrypt dispatch but nothing else or everything but say courts and jail frustrate me so much. It makes it pretty obvious that their powers that be don't really understand where the true risks lie.

I believe Douglas is in the pipeline as well.
Douglas/Elbert by the end of this year. Arapahoe (last I heard) was scheduled for December 1st.

hitechRadio

Really its just plain rude. But alas what is really happeneing is the "controlling authority" is drinking the koo laid of the sales pitch of "it cant be cracked nor monitored". Herein lies the problem, (and it may not really effect a school district security force with 5-10 users) whenever the E is activated each and every unit in the wild is potentially a direct back door into their entire system including the IP side. A unit that has not been killed quick enough can potentially be hacked into a zombie unit, literally not only granting them (the bad guys) access to the E code and hash, but escalating the control of/to the system from the zombied unit. Large manufacturers "silenty" allude to this to the site radio engineers but alas it's usually someone completely clueless to the danger that they are potentially granting the bad guys but turning the E on. They think their getting one over on the bad guy and doing good...when in reality ....they are setting themselves up for a very bad fall. That's why larger departments use E only as necessary and generally only on high impact channels (IAD, SRU command etc.) and those units in the wild are accounted for like bricks of gold.

You lost me at "Really"
....Zombie's ...what?

:rolleyes:

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Seems that there is an urgent need for ENC lately.

If one were to use tin foil in an unusual manner the thought of a certain S.B. that has been shot down in committee the past 2 legislatures might be back.

Need to have things in place so the pesky state cannot undo what has already been done if a certain S.B. were to become law.

You never know.

Keep the BLUE and MAC TG's active in your scanlists in the future.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
ENC does not stop bad actors.

This thread has expanded to area L.E. heading down the path of non transparency.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Good for them going encrypted, keeping our schools safer!

This is a fallacy. Radio encryption does not change the behavior of a bad actor. Officials like to throw around the term "safety" when having to explain the use of encryption. The public thinks, gee, that sounds good, okay, we believe you.

hitechRadio

This is a fallacy. Radio encryption does not change the behavior of a bad actor. Officials like to throw around the term "safety" when having to explain the use of encryption. The public thinks, gee, that sounds good, okay, we believe you.
And that is just your opinion!

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
And that is just your opinion!

Actually, it is not, This is your belief. Our schools will be no safer because bad actors can't monitor the police. For your statement to be true, there would have to be a reduction in bullying, violence, illegal substances, and people bringing weapons to schools.

hitechRadio

Actually, it is not, This is your belief. Our schools will be no safer because bad actors can't monitor the police. For your statement to be true, there would have to be a reduction in bullying, violence, illegal substances, and people bringing weapons to schools.
Again,,,your opinion, NOT FACT. I believe, it DOES help keep our Kids and Teacher's safer.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Moat public schools and universities are or go to it. Considering the schools deal with minors in most cases moat parents and public would agree with it.

I know several community services departments who have recreation programs after school dealing with minors that encrypted all parks and rec traffic since they give routes or times to names of parents and minors back forth.

So I am not surprised to see any schools secure their systems.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Again,,,your opinion, NOT FACT. I believe, it DOES help keep our Kids and Teacher's safer.

Just because you believe something, doesn't make it factual. I literally provide measurable outcomes and you ignored them because of what you feel is true. If you want to believe that this will make anyone safer, this is your opinion.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Yes, I too recall the times that the Columbine and Deer Creek shooters had scanners listening to Jeffco Public Schools Security and used that information to aid them. That would be a good narritive if it were not for the fact that it did not happen in either case. Here are the facts that you wanted.

As others have said, encryption does not stop a bad actor. Since the folks posting here actually live in the area and know what we are talking about, we can actually cite facts and specific cases involving Jeffco Public Schools. So far it looks like the only one posting opinions and claiming that they are facts are you.

Feel free to provide a counterexample for Jeffco Public Schools and I am sure folks would be more willing to believe your narrative. :)

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
There are many, MANY things you can do to secure a school. The fact that they did this was really not about safety but because they can attitude. If schools really cared about school safety they'd take proactive measures beyond stupid radio encryption. This WILL NOT stop anyone from bringing a gun to school, etc.

Does radio encryption increase safety? Nope! Just a fallacy like already mentioned.

What do you wanna make a bet public works goes encrypted next? Because safety? No. Because they can like I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.