Yet another (?) recording header decoded and playback tool....

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Thank you Troy :)

I record all the time and fill the controlled capacity of the recording, all the time. It's nice to be able to pull quickly the results. I ran it with the no less than 3 seconds duration, and received a 10mb html file for the return. Sweet! I'll give the 1 second duration a try :) I will say that it is a mix of everything I listen to and from trips that I routinely make within AZ, to NM and CA.

Thanks again,

You can open a command prompt (DOS) window (should be in the start menu under Accessories) and run the program from within that window:

x36read-0.6b <path to recordings> <min duration>

example:

x36read-0.6b "C\My Recordings" 1

will list all recordings that are 1 seconds or greater in length.

I'll probably add this as a prompted input in the next release.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Troy!
This works fantastic and restores a lot of fun looking through my audio files.

One question, how hard would it be to add support for the audio files from the original Home Patrol?

I'd not realized when I copied all my scanner audio files into a single folder that I was also copying my Home Patrol files into the new audio folder.
I'd only searched and copied wav files with a similar name structure.
While running your program, I noticed the majority of my files were being skipped.
When I looked at the files in the folder I noticed many of my files had an "Album Name" of "HomePatrol" yet still contained much of the same info.
That's when I realized your program was only reading the ones with an Album name of BCDx36HP indicating they were from the x36HP line of radios.

I'm not sure if adding the ability to do the same with the HomePatrol audio files would be something easy to add but it would be nice if it could be added.
Only a suggestion but figured I'd throw it out there.

I'd never realized I had so many audio files from the two different x36 Unidens I own!

Going on just the x36 and HomePatrol files though, it looks like a lot of the structure is similar.

I don't mess with audio files very often so far all I know, there is a way to edit the Album info in a file and see if your software will parse the data the same way it does for recordings made from an x36 model.

Anyway, thanks much for a neat little program. It sure makes listening to all my audio files from the 4 and 536HP's very easy that I've accumulated since these radios came out!

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I don't own a Home Patrol nor do I have any recordings from one. If you want to send me some, I can take a look

I'm attempting to attach a small wav file from a typical Home Patrol audio save.
It appears your program works off the ID3 or Metatag data.
I tried changing the Album info from HomePatrol to BCDx36HP but then your program would not even read those files created by a 536HP. I think I did a batch convert of the ID3 data and it changed something I cannot see in the metadata.

And just like your program, I had to add .txt to the end of the filename after .wav so it would upload with this message. I assume you will need to rename that .txt back off the filename first.

After I edited the Album ID3 info, even those files created by a 536HP would no longer parse any data with you small program but I'm not sure what changed.

This is no big deal so don't spend any time on it!!
I can also play with the ID3 or Metadata info on some of my HomePatrol created files from my end and see if I can figure out what needs to be changed so you app will read those. I saw a few free metadata or ID3 changing applications that can even batch edit all files in a folder.
If I can get one of those to work, that may be the easiest.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 2011-08-21_16-47-55.wav.txt
    175.7 KB · Views: 75

troymail

Silent Key
Latest Version

At long last, here is the latest version. Changes include:

• systems are now broken out into separate pages/listings (all in one file was getting far too large; the pages can still be long but it's better now than it was before)
  • all files are placed into a single directory along with a "table of contents"
  • radio identifier report now collapses consecutive id ranges
  • a new radio identifier report is now generated that shows radio identifiers that appear on multiple talkgroups
  • added a filter option for a given date
  • added interactive prompt for minimum duration recordings

This version was tested against 253k files containing 69 systems. It took about 35 minutes to execute across that data set on my Win7 I7 laptop.

Last edited:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
At long last, here is the latest version. Changes include:

• systems are now broken out into separate pages/listings (all in one file was getting far too large; the pages can still be long but it's better now than it was before)
  • all files are placed into a single directory along with a "table of contents"
  • radio identifier report now collapses consecutive id ranges
  • a new radio identifier report is now generated that shows radio identifiers that appear on multiple talkgroups
  • added a filter option for a given date
  • added interactive prompt for minimum duration recordings

This version was tested against 253k files containing 69 systems. It took about 35 minutes to execute across that data set on my Win7 I7 laptop.

Is there a special way of downloading and/or opening the file? I downloaded it, but it looks like it's a text file, and when I went to open it, sure enough, it 'opened' in wordpad. I must be missing something, right?

NWI_Scanner_Guy

My guess is that when you renamed it, Windows somehow kept the .txt extension.

You should be able to right click on the file and Rename it to

x36read-0.7b.exe

No, that's how it looks before I try to rename it. I can't find the .txt extension on/in the file in order to remove it.

Dewey

S-W-E-E-T !!! For some crazy reason, Firefox still does not like the reports, and will not follow the links away from the table contents (if you remember, Firefox wouldn't play the linked recordings in your earlier versions). Imagine that, something that Internet Exploiter can do better than one of it competitors! Thanks Troy... LOVING the program!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Perhaps.... Remove the copy you already pulled down. Pull it down again and rename it before trying to double click on it.

Just a thought -- if that doesn't work, we'll try something else.

What OS are you using?

Same results.

I've tried downloading it thru both Firefox and Chrome.

joeuser

The Wretched
Oh God, you zipped it! Its easier to change the extension! Your going to get all sorts, well, never mind - its native to XP and up so never mind! I appreciate the work you do on this program, its very cool. You really help out our community with this work & offering it for free. Bravo!

kd7eir

From where? When I try to rename the file, it looks like this.....

I'm sure it's something simple I'm overlooking because my brain is just dead tired.

You have Windows set to hide extensions for known file types, and that is hiding the .txt from the file name.

You need to remove the checkmark as indicated below.

folder.png

To get there go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View

After that, delete the .txt and save the file.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

You have Windows set to hide extensions for known file types, and that is hiding the .txt from the file name.

You need to remove the checkmark as indicated below.

folder.png

To get there go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View

After that, delete the .txt and save the file.

Yep, that was the problem alright.

Although your post came after Troy sent the zip file, I still appreciate your reply. I went in and unchecked that box, so I know I won't have a repeat of this particular problem.

:)

RonnieUSA

Oh God, you zipped it! Its easier to change the extension! Your going to get all sorts, well, never mind - its native to XP and up so never mind! I appreciate the work you do on this program, its very cool. You really help out our community with this work & offering it for free. Bravo!

You should really calm down, ever since XP the OS can unzip files.

Status
Not open for further replies.