Yet another (?) recording header decoded and playback tool....

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hmmmm... I was thinking the C: was causing a problem but I just tried it and it worked fine.

Can you open a command prompt (DOS window) and try running it from there -- type the name of the program and supply the full directory path/name on the command line and/or at the prompt?

Has anyone else been able to run either version of the program and get output?
I just ran the updated version on my desktop (Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit) and it worked with no problems on a folder with 200+ audio files I've collected on a newly minted Phase II system here locally.

My executable is in my "Downloads" folder, and the 'report' html file was sent, as designed, to the desktop.

smithken

Premium Subscriber
I tried this program out on both Windows 8.1 64 bit and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and at first I could not get an output file, both times the recordings were still on the SD card and x36read-0.2b.exe was in my download folder. The SD card was not in the scanner. On the Windows 7 machine I copied some of the folders with the recordings from the SD card to my desktop and ran x36read-0.2b from my download folder and I got an output file on my desktop. The output file looks good. When I click on the time in the timestamp column I get an error message from Firefox saying it doesn't understand the address and I might need another program, this could be a problem on my end. I haven't had time to try again on the Windows 8.1 machine.

troymail

Silent Key
I'm development testing using my default browser -Chrome. I also tested loading the results page and playback using IE 11. While it worked in IE 11, I was unhappy with all of the warnings and popups requiring response (and since I don't use IE I didn't waste time changing my settings to avoid the warnings). Chrome was much faster and more responsive during the testing.

I tried Firefox (latest version I believe - not sure). It appears that Firefox doesn't know how to play the recordings like Chrome and IE do without a problem. I'll add that to my list of things to look into.

I never intended to use the program against the SD card directly and never tried it but based on the feedback, I tried it -- over the USB cable..... I did find one issue there - it looks like the output file was trying to write the user's home directory on the drive assigned to the SD card (E:\). I made a quick test change to cause the output to go to my home desktop on C:\ and this worked. Using Chrome, I was even able to play the recordings via the HTML listing directly from the SD card over the USB cable.

The changes made in the program will be available in the next version (probably later today).

Keep the feedback coming.

lost_in_maine

Still no luck

Tried it today as you suggested from the command line
I stuck your Exe file right in the root of c....and tried with a folder named recordings
I get this as an output...
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Vishera>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

C:\>x36read-0.2b.exe
x36read-0.2b.exe v. 0.2b (3 Sept 2014)

x36read-0.2b.exe usage:
x36read-0.2b.exe <path to BCDx36HP recordings>
x36read-0.2b.exe <path to BCDx36HP recordings> [min. duration]

Suppressing files with less than 3 seconds of audio

You can change this by adding another parameter to the command line.

Please enter the directory name that contains your recordings:
c:\recordings

Error - can't open input durectory c:\recordings

troymail

Silent Key
Tried it today as you suggested from the command line
I stuck your Exe file right in the root of c....and tried with a folder named recordings
I get this as an output...
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Vishera>cd..

C:\Users>cd..

C:\>x36read-0.2b.exe
x36read-0.2b.exe v. 0.2b (3 Sept 2014)

x36read-0.2b.exe usage:
x36read-0.2b.exe <path to BCDx36HP recordings>
x36read-0.2b.exe <path to BCDx36HP recordings> [min. duration]

Suppressing files with less than 3 seconds of audio

You can change this by adding another parameter to the command line.

Please enter the directory name that contains your recordings:
c:\recordings

Error - can't open input durectory c:\recordings

Don't know what to tell ya..... If that is a valid directory and you have rights to access it, you shouldn't be getting that error. I just did exactly what you did - all from c:\ and it work as expected

Note: spelling error fixed in next version (-: (not that it will help you)

troymail

Silent Key
Update: I was able to recreate your situation but only by removing all files in c:\recordings. I also created the error by changing the file extension to a sole recording in the directory to something other than ".wav".

Feels a bit silly to ask but does c:\recordings contain either subfolders and/or BCDx36HP generated recording files that end with ".wav"?

BTW - the software also expects to find indicators in the file contents that the recordings are from a BCDx36HP.

troymail

Silent Key
Latest version

- now allows for reading from an alternate drive (i.e. E:\) while still ensuring the generated HTML log appears on the user desktop (i.e. C:\users\troy\desktop)
- Fixed a few typos
- started adding some statistics (can be seen at the bottom of the generated HTML page).

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Troy,
Downloaded version right above. Opened in command prompt.
Entered the file I made C:\recordings
Get message "You can select a filter...
or just Enter,
System Enter
Dept Enter
TG Enter
Site Enter
See something briefly about all files, but no generated HTML pages. Tried with Chrome, IE. Mozilla. Seems no luck. Will continue to watch posts. Thanks for your efforts.

Steve AA6IO

Steve AA6IO

troymail

Silent Key
Troy,
Downloaded version right above. Opened in command prompt.
Entered the file I made C:\recordings
Get message "You can select a filter...
or just Enter,
System Enter
Dept Enter
TG Enter
Site Enter
See something briefly about all files, but no generated HTML pages. Tried with Chrome, IE. Mozilla. Seems no luck. Will continue to watch posts. Thanks for your efforts.

Steve AA6IO

Steve AA6IO

Is c:\recordings a directory with BCDx36HP files in it? That's what the program is looking for.

What OS, etc. are you running?

Open a command prompt and run the "set" command. What does is say your settings/values are for %HOMEPATH% and %HOMEDRIVE%?

FWIW - I tested the latest version on WinXP (an old Pentium 4 machine I have) and it ran just as expected (same as on my development Win7 I7 laptop).

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Troy
C:\recordings has lots (and only) 536HP files.
OS is Windows 7 Home Premium Dell XPS 8300 64 bit
CMD Prompt; HOMEPATH \Users\Sherman HOMEDRIVE = C
Based on this information, I will put files in "recording" in C:\Users\Sherman
and see what happens.
Thanks
Steve

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Just tried the above Troy.
Same exact thing. Goes through filter (just Enter) Sys Dept TG Site (enter after each)
Seems to start but see no HTML anywhere.
Steve

Dewey

Just an FYI, I created a directory structure that mimics the x36 directory structure. That structure is nested in the "Uniden" directory created by Sentinel in "My Documents". So with that said, my recordings are located at "C:\Users\Dewey\Documents\Uniden\Audio\{time and date directories created by the x36 that contain the .wav files}\". When I run Troy's program, I point it to the "Audio" directory, and not the lower date and time directories that contain the .wav files, and it executes without problem. Could that possibly be the problem?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
OK, now getting beautiful list of info on Google Chrome Browser. Hitting the time/date, but says no file. Will try what Dewey mentions above.
Steve

troymail

Silent Key
Troy
C:\recordings has lots (and only) 536HP files.
OS is Windows 7 Home Premium Dell XPS 8300 64 bit
CMD Prompt; HOMEPATH \Users\Sherman HOMEDRIVE = C
Based on this information, I will put files in "recording" in C:\Users\Sherman
and see what happens.
Thanks
Steve

HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH is the Desktop location the output is written.

So, the output dire for the report HTML page would be:
C:\Users\Sherman \Desktop

The input path is whatever you enter - in this case C:\recordings

Curious - "lots" means how many? I've tested on my laptop against a folder with almost 50,000 files in it and it runs fine (on my machine). If you have large(r) numbers of files in C:\recordings the library function I am using may be erroring off because the list if too big. If this sounds like it might be an issue and to check this, create a folder with only a few (1 to some number less than 50,000) recordings and see if that works.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Maybe it is because in "Recording folder" all my wav files are in subfolders like 2014-09-03 with time. Maybe I need to put wave files directly in "Recording folder"???
Steve

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
OK, so I am getting a nice list with all the data as you show Troy on Chrome. Now getting the recordings on some of the time stamps in blue, but most coming up with message.
This webpage is not Found.
Steve

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Troy,
Now using program on many other of my saved audios from X36HP over past few weeks. Working beautifully. Very nice program. This should prove very useful. Thanks much.
Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.