Yet another Win96 noob/ generalized ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redchord11

Hello all,

I've been messing around with my Pro-96 and have Win96 all setup so theres no issues there.

I kind of just don't understand how to program it properly. Here's an example of what I did:

I live in NYB Bklyn South- so I went over to the trusty RR database and used bank0 as my NYPD, FDNY, EMS and some random things (which I'm now realizing probably isn't a good idea to mix all that?)

- http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1855

Using the "Channels" TAB I plug in the frequencies for the various Precints and I get mild traffic but not nearly as much as I thought I'd get. I feel like I'm not using the radio the right way , almost conventionally and not trunking. If I hear a dispatch and then a response- once they go off air- it'll scan through my other banks- Do I have to disable all other banks when wanting to listen to 1 thing in particular?

Rx Modes- which require MOT rather than FM?

I also don't quite understand how to program talk ID's and talk groups- does that box in the bottom right coincide with the frequencies I input in the left box?

Using the RR database sheet - I see PL tones and Input frequency- are these necessary to enter into win96 and if so- where?

I know I have A LOT to learn and I eventually will- but it's just a bit confusing at first.

Here is a screen cap of my .p96 I made- I basically left everything else set as is since I currently don't know what all that other stuff is yet. I found a premade .p96 from pa2600.com and was comparing- but I know it's area dependent. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading this babble as I know my post is all OVER the place..

Attachments

• p96.JPG
    p96.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 104

n2mdk

In NYC your better off using each bank for seperate agencies.
You should get a subscription to this site so you can use the software with direct download from the database, then things like PL will set themselves up.
MOT is for a Motorola Trunked system the talkgroups will come in when programming in Trunked systems.
I made up a p96 file for you load it into Win96 and take a look at the way it's set up.
It has NYPD, FDNY, EMS and the DOITT Trunked system on it They are programmed into banks 0, 1, 2 and 4

Last edited:

redchord11

wow- much appreciation for that. I will definitely subscribe to be able to do direct download - i didn't know that.

So now - after i loaded in that file you made- i was hearing a plethora of activity- but what I don't quite grasp is - i hear the dispatch and the response back and forth for a few seconds- but then it scans for more activity - is there any way to stick with 1 particular call? I switched it to manual to stay on that freq - but obviously after 30 secs of static - im sure the frequency has changed ( i get the whole trunking thing) - so how would i monitor that one call? Is the answer as simple as not scanning the other banks?

n2mdk

You can toggle the banks on and off by hitting the corresponding number on the keypad. If your getting static turn up the squelch. To hold on a channel or Talkgroup hit the PSE button while the scanner is stopped on that channel. I didn't lock anything out you can always do that by hitting the LOUT key when the scanner stops on an unwanted channel/frequency or TGID.
The one trunked bank is set to open so it will pick up things not programmed into the scanner you have to close the bank to stop that
UsingMAN will generally get you stuck on an active frequency or more frequently the active control channel, that's that sort of engine idling sound you hear. The scanner is always listening to the control channel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.