• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Yet Anouther LPE Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmiles

Moving on to my next project…I have a 800MHz LPE which is loaded with the Lynchburg test channels. The radio’s tag has the following info;

M/A-Com PRS
Model: KRD103103/A132

And the white sticker on the casting lip reads;

KRD 103 103/A103 R1A 98W18

The features menu is not currently in the menu list and the revisions menu reads;

800TEST
FLASH VER P1R08C00
DSP RAM K1r03c01
PRS VER 33.00
FLSH SIZ 1024K

I left out the self explanatory stuff. Upon receiving the radio, I did the same thing I always do when I get a “new” M/A-Com radio, I opened RadioMaint to save the .TRK, .ENC, .BIN & . DSP files. Everything was normal up to the point when RadioMaint queried the radio at the PROGRAM SELF TEST, which it apparently fails because I then get the error message;

“Radio not in program mode and/or not initialized. Reconnect radio.”

I retried several times, always with the same result. I knew I would not be able to read the personality from the radio because I have ProGrammer R18, but I should get the newer software error message. But ProGrammer craps out in the same spot.

So what’s failing here? Can it be fixed? What should I look for? I’ve ruled out a bad UDC, as I tried a known good front cover/UDC. The board looks fine and the radio seems to operate normally when you turn it on. Tx looks and sounds OK. I can’t Rx anything currently programmed into the radio. I did try to load a new one channel personality written in R18, but I get the same error as before.

Also, just out of idle scientific curiosity, I noticed that this radio has 1M of memory, but it has a C50 board installed. I have some known good C56 DSP’s so I dropped one in. When I turned the radio on I got a DSP ERR 0856. Isn’t there a way to replace a C50 with a C56 in a 1M LPE? I would assume I got this error because the radio is expecting to be reflashed, but K1r03c01 should work for digital voice. Or is something else going on here?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
So were you able to get the tracking data and feature encryption string, or not?

If you did, just go through recovery. If not, I'm not sure what I'd do. Maybe go through
recovery WITHOUT erasing the eprom.

I'd hate to trash a feature encryption string. But an email to the TAC should get you the feature encryption data, in any event. You'll just have to hope that the radio board (and ESN) match up to the radio's serial number.

Elroy

rmiles

Let me clarify, this is NOT GILMOORE's radio. That radio was successfully repaired and returned to him. This is another LPE that is my own. I'm not able to read anything from the radio, and the features menu is not currently available (not selected under "Programmable Menus") so I can't see the feature string to write it down.

I'd prefer not to clear the prom unless that is the only way to fix it. One thing I learned from the GILMOORE experience, is that if the radio had any value added feature which were purchased from a dealer, or other source, the feature string you get from M/A-Com will be the original, and not have those value added features. His radio had max sys/grps which were not in the original feature string. I had to purchase those for him after I spoke to TAC. So, he more-or-less had to pay for that upgrade twice. I'd prefer to avoid that with another radio.

This radio works perfectly fine, unless you try to read from or write to it. When you turn it on, it functions perfectly well. But for some reason, it will not pass the program self test. Even if clearing the prom were the only way to fix it, I don't know how I'd do it, since I can't clear it with RadioMaint anyway. Unless I can get it to pass program self test, both RadioMaint and ProGrammer are useless.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I would suggest disassembling the radio part way (remove the front cover assembly, anyway) and checking the connectors for the front cover and main board. Odd things happen if the lines of communication aren't adequately clean or the connectors aren't well seated.

If you have another LPE cover handy, swap it for test purposes. See if it'll read or program with it.

Elroy

rmiles

ElroyJetson said:
I would suggest disassembling the radio part way (remove the front cover assembly, anyway) and checking the connectors for the front cover and main board. Odd things happen if the lines of communication aren't adequately clean or the connectors aren't well seated.

If you have another LPE cover handy, swap it for test purposes. See if it'll read or program with it.

Elroy

I did just that when I found the problem. I took them fully apart to rule out all the peripheral components (switches, front cover flexs, etc.). I tried two other known good front covers that I have on LPE's I routinely use. The board work fine as fully assembled radios, except for the read/write problem. What on the board does the UDC interface with? Are there test points I could check for continuity? Perhaps there is simply a cold solder joint somewhere?

smackdaddy

Hello,

Just another idea. Are you using a RIB-less cable? That's a relatively old software version. I have encountered many older M/A Com software versions that will not properly function with a RIB-less cable. They do not always apply the proper voltage at the UDC to power the RIB-less circuitry when the radio is in programming mode. Just a thought.

Cheers
SD

JungleJim

Smackdaddy is correct, with flash codes up to version P1R09B01 you must use the rib and power supply. With versions P1R09C01 on up the ribless should work just fine.

To upgrade to the C56 you have to plug in the board and then re-flash the radio and load in the correct DSP code.

rmiles

Actually, I had not thought of that. I am using a Price ribless cable, and that would make perfect sense. I do have the TQ3370 and proper cable. I'll try it with the RIB and let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.