York county "Crime Prevention" security group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
I have just been wondering, and maybe others have to. Who and what exactly is the crime prevention group and how can I hear them? Obviously they are a security company with above average powers since they sit in Reagent Park and do RADAR and seem to have more advanced "stuff" then a regular security company. But where can I find out more and pissibly find out how to listen to their radio traffic, if any?

James

Phillipsc84 said:
I have just been wondering, and maybe others have to. Who and what exactly is the crime prevention group and how can I hear them? Obviously they are a security company with above average powers since they sit in Reagent Park and do RADAR and seem to have more advanced "stuff" then a regular security company. But where can I find out more and pissibly find out how to listen to their radio traffic, if any?

Advaced "stuff" ? Just my 2cents, maybe encrpted transmissions, if so you won't ever hear them. EVER. Then again if they are just "wanabees" you have to do some homework. Are they local, SO PD SLED FBI? Private?

I live in Columbia, guess I shouldn't even speculate

Curfew

What is it they are protecting in Reagent Park? Do they roam around in different areas? What is the company name of the guards? What freqs are they using???

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
The state laws in North and South Carolina provide for private security companies to act as a legal police agency, with enforcement and arrest powers, within a private community. The employees of the security companies must meet specific state standards.

The police who patrol the gated portion of Lake Wylie are an example of the private police. There are also private police patroling portions of the 4th ? Ward in Charlotte, near the BOA Stadium.

Metro and Wachenhut / Allied provide private police services in the Charlotte area.

I believe any community that pursues hiring a private police force must have a state legislator sponsor a bill before their legislature, and the legislature must approve the bill before full law enforcement powers are vested in the security company. Generally, the officers' powers only extend the the property being patrolled.

Remember PTL / Jim and Tammy Baker ? Reagent Park was part of the PTL development. In recent years, the Inspiration Network (cable tv) was there, but they are now building a new headquarters near my home.

I haven't been in Reagent Park in years, but it appears they are going through some new growth due to the housing push out of Charlotte. They are just off I-77, near Carowinds and the state line.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
To update, They have been seen mostly in Reagent Park and then traveling up Celanese (161). I would assume that this was just from their main office to the protectee's location. Also I saw them out at "Campground Massacre" (Haunted Trail)_ in Ft. Mill. The frequencies I do not know but from the single 800Mhz antenna I would assume possibly a trunked system but then again I haven't found any reference to them in the lists on here or with the FCC. Of course it could just bee that the license isn't something obvious. But I do know that they have full police powers and as far as I can tell only in Reagent Park.

IPD845

jeffmulter "believe any community that pursues hiring a private police force must have a state legislator sponsor a bill before their legislature, and the legislature must approve the bill before full law enforcement powers are vested in the security company. Generally, the officers' powers only extend the the property being patrolled."

Sir you are partially correct the power for security in South Carolina security's power is derived from S.C. Code of Laws Title 40, Chapter 18
"SECTION 40-18-110. Authority and arrest powers of those licensed or registered under chapter.
A person who is registered or licensed under this chapter and who is hired or employed to provide security services on specific property is granted the authority and arrest power given to sheriff's deputies. The security officer may arrest a person violating or charged with violating a criminal statute of this State but possesses the powers of arrest only on the property on which he is employed"
Now the legislature plays no part in who may and may not have security. Any one with a nickel can hire a licensed security company. Now the authority to arrest may be extended off the property they are paid to protect by a sheriffs deputy, Police officer, and other police agencies. Property may pertain to a person, place or thing.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Thanks, IPD. It appears that the same is also the case in N.C., and I was mistaken about legislative approval ...

http://www.ncdoj.com/law_enforcement/cle_cjets_programs_company_police.jsp

It always gets confusing, since I spend half the day in South Carolina, and half in North Carolina.

I was also incorrect in my spelling ... it is Regent Park.

Phillip -- you might also want to watch for IRS agents in the development, since they have a federal tax lien, to the tune of about $13 million, against the corporation that owns the golf course, some offices and the ROADS within the community, along with some condos in the tower. Having a vested interest in this property now, I'm such they have someone on-premises to monitor the corporations' business on a daily basis.

The roadways are in need of serious repair, according to reports in the local newspaper, but the county won't take over responsibility of the roads without the corporation making major improvements. That seems unlikely, considering the corporations' financial status. At the same time, the corporation is past deadline on submitting design plans for fixing the decaying towers started in the Heritage USA days, and the county plans on having it demolished in January unless plans are forthcoming in the near-future.

With regards to the Crime Prevention Group, keep in mind they may be using a commercial conventional or trunked system operated by an SMR company ... rather than owning their own radio system. This would be even more-likely if they provide security services throughout the Charlotte metro area.

If such is the case, they might have no licenses in their name.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jeff. I also mispelled Regent Park too. That makes more sense to just pay for service from another provider rather than own their own. I should have guessed that since I do the same on an LTR system out of charlotte. I'll have to look around and see If I see anythink that looks like a provider of 800Mhz service around and if im in the area just ask one of them or get out the scanner and catch them with Signal Stalker. Interesting note though about the IRS being there. If you haven't been by there recently you should check it out. I had Family that works with the production company "NarroWay" that used to work out of the old arena and studio. They had to relocate due to the new owners building the new road to cut through to Pineville. Also if you didn't know the once popular water park is nothing but a flat field now. Id love to know the date for demolition of the abandoned tower project so I can arrange a good seat for the show. :)

crony803

Phillipsc84 said:
Id love to know the date for demolition of the abandoned tower project so I can arrange a good seat for the show. :)

Is this a sure thing? I was told a while back that the Morning Star group bought the tower, and had to either start demolition or construction in the very near future. I do not which way they supposedly chose, but it's still sitting there being an eyesore. I'd love to see that thing dropped. It's out of place in the neighborhood...

crony803

jeffmulter said:
I haven't been in Reagent Park in years, but it appears they are going through some new growth due to the housing push out of Charlotte. They are just off I-77, near Carowinds and the state line.

Take a drive to the back, near the tower. If it's been that long, you'll probably be surprised at how it looks now. There's a lot of new development going on, and two housing developments out past the old hotel. Morning Star seems to be doing quite well and is putting quite a bit of money and work into the area around the hotel.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just to chime in, the laws about security in NC & SC are vastly different.

Unless it's changed in the last few years, If approved by the DOT (for roads and signage) security companies can use red and/or blue lights and are issued ticket books by SLED for traffic enforcement. So a security vechicle could pull you over and issue a valid traffic ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.