York County PA - Best antenna for SDS 100 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCPA

So this old dog is learning the new tricks of the SDS 100...pretty fast learning curve, creating a favorites list of the York system which mirrors my GI portable; and because I live in one of what the National Weather Service calls "the normally colder valleys" on the fringe of the Glen Rock (South System) tower I created a "York South" system to scan while at home.

The problem is that the factory NIB rubber antenna is barely adequate. Once I get out of the valley It is fine, even in-vehicle. Side by side it is catching 95% of what is received on the GI unit. Beginning of transmissions are sometimes clipped but that is to be expected with any scanner.

But inside the house...whoa, Nellie.

Any recommendations?

PCPA

Also HIGHLY relevant: Primary area for using the scanner is withing 10' vertically of the Met-Ed/First Energy Smart Meter....a mega signal robber.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Screenshot_20210722-231902_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20210722-231810_Chrome.jpg
These are two good replacements for the terrible stock antenna for the sds100. 800 megahertz antenna is excellent on 7 - 800 MHz and will give you fair performance on UHF. The second antenna it's designed to give you general coverage on VHF, UHF 7-800 MHz.

These are your standard antennas people replace a stock antenna with. You have to remember if you're going to be using an antenna on the radio you are limited but these are certainly an improvement over the stock antenna.

It also sounds like you're going to want to investigate the filter threads in the Uniden Tech forum as they can certainly help with clipped and missed transmissions. You can always toggle function 7 and see if IFX helps on an individual frequency.

I got these photos off of scannermaster and it looks like the first antenna is out of stock but I'm sure it's available somewhere. Both antennas fit the unique sds100 antenna connection. HTH... Bob.

PCPA

Thanks!

The ScannerMaster offering outwardly looks identical to the antenna on my G.I. portable.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep check your personal message, I just made a long post there in answer to your personal message that will probably be repeated on this thread tomorrow LOL.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you are interested primarily in the York County system. The Remtronix REM-820S is the best antenna. It works great monitoring York County from my location in northern Baltimore County. My scanner also is great traveling throughout York County. It is no doubt the best 700/800 MHz antenna you will find. I have a favorites list for York County that I would be happy to share with you.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes the 820s which is the first picture I posted above is a superior antenna for Bucks County PA also, although Scanner Master says it is out of stock it is available at Bearcat Warehouse.

PCPA

Thanks for the tip about Bearcat Warehouse. Order has been placed!

For some strange reason that company wasn't showing up in search engines.

PCPA

The Remtronix arrived today....a true game changer; or, more precisely, it puts me in the game.

Thank you all!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just remember it does work on UHF. I think it works on UHF better than some other people say but I think it works fine but! Not so much on vhf high.

That's cool that someone can recommend an antenna and it arrives while the thread is still going on LOL:LOL:

PCPA

Pulled in the NOAA weather radio WXL-40 stronger and clearer than the OEM antenna.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Pulled in the NOAA weather radio WXL-40 stronger and clearer than the OEM antenna.
Yeah and the REM 7 - 800 MHz stinks on VHF, try wrapping your hand around the stem of the antenna above the load and see if the weather gets even better LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.