York County, PA Low Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocguard

I know that what I'm about to explain isn't exactly skip or tropo, but I wasn't sure where else to post it in the forum.

While responding to a call with my York County fire department on Thursday night, the officer on the apparatus left the microphone off the hook for the mobile low band radio (33mhz), putting the mobile into PL defeat mode. While set on our "Fire 2 33.88mhz" channel, the radio was picking up transmissions, which, due to my extreme squirreliness, I identified as Carroll County Fire 1 33.94mhz. Once on scene, we switched to a fireground channel of 33.66mhz, and, while still in CSQ mode, it began to pick up Lancaster County EMS Ops 33.60mhz.

I know that skip usually occurs on the same frequency. Is what I experienced an atmospheric phenomenon, or something with the quality of the discriminator in the radio? I found it interesting that both situations had a frequency difference of 6mhz. I know most high-quality radios shouldn't recieve adjacent channel interference like this. If it matters, it's a MaxTrac mobile. Any input would be appreciated!

Gilligan

Database Admin
ocguard said:
I found it interesting that both situations had a frequency difference of 6mhz.
Just to clarify, the difference is 60 khz, or 0.06 MHz. However, this is still a HUGE difference in frequency for this kind of interference. And you're positive they were conducting ops on their dispatch channel and not on alternates?

ocguard

Certain of this... I was hearing the interference and wondering where it was coming from, I saw the "monitor" light lit on the mobile, recognized the transmission styles, and put two and two together.

Status
Not open for further replies.