York County Unication G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I am having some issues receiving York County on my G4 pager. I know I am within range as I have tired listening in York city and Shrewsbury. I have all the frequencies programmed for each site with it being a harris system. I have tired both programming the entire system together and with each site being on its own. Anyone have any suggestions?

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
WACN, System ID, RFSS and SITE Number # - Almost every post like this with the same problem the answer is ... review how to input those 4 in the PPS and then upload. These things are the distance receiving champs. ;0)

sbk1982

The G4 and G5 work fine on the York County System.
This is where I would start in regards to troubleshooting:

P25 Trunking System Tab -
WACN 45DDD
System ID 37
Site Trunking is not checked
Site List - 4 Sites - A, 14, 28, 3C
Control Channels - 23 frequencies
Full Spectrum Scan Disabled

tvengr

Well Known Member
P25 Trunking System Tab -
WACN 45DDD
System ID 37
Site Trunking is not checked
Site List - 4 Sites - A, 14, 28, 3C
Control Channels - 23 frequencies
Full Spectrum Scan Disabled
I agree 100 percent. That is what I have in my G5 for York Co. The RFSS ID and Site ID are the same for each of the 4 sites. A is North, 14 is South, 28 is Central, and 3C is West. You must use the hex values.

jazeigler

Premium Subscriber
Not so much a reply as a question…I am a responder in York Co…looking at purchasing and programming either a G4 or G5…love the functionality…the one thing I’m lost with is the ability of this device to function as a pager to notify my when said station (one of 3) that I work for is alerted for a call…last I knew YCDES was sending that via the POCSAG paging system that I currently have…what I need to know before I spend the money…will this or can this function both as a pager with scanner abilities or is it just able to be a scanner in my case? Thanks

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Not so much a reply as a question…I am a responder in York Co…looking at purchasing and programming either a G4 or G5…love the functionality…the one thing I’m lost with is the ability of this device to function as a pager to notify my when said station (one of 3) that I work for is alerted for a call…last I knew YCDES was sending that via the POCSAG paging system that I currently have…what I need to know before I spend the money…will this or can this function both as a pager with scanner abilities or is it just able to be a scanner in my case? Thanks
The G4/G5 were designed to support 2-tone paging over P25 systems. POCSAG is not supported AFAIK - at least Unication doesn't specify it on their product page. The G5 also does conventional 2-tone on its secondary band. Most people are using them to monitor voice on the trunking system.

tvengr

Well Known Member
what I need to know before I spend the money…will this or can this function both as a pager with scanner abilities or is it just able to be a scanner in my case? Thanks
That sounds like a question more appropriate for the Unication forum. Unication reps monitor that forum.

sbk1982

The county is working on 2-tone alerting. Notice was put out to all first responder agencies at the beginning of this year. These pagers are part of the plan, so if you buy one now, it will eventually accomplish what you're looking for.

No the pager does not receive POCSAG text messaging.

jazeigler

Premium Subscriber
The county is working on 2-tone alerting. Notice was put out to all first responder agencies at the beginning of this year. These pagers are part of the plan, so if you buy one now, it will eventually accomplish what you're looking for.

No the pager does not receive POCSAG text messaging.
Thank you!! Very much appreciated and I’ve done the homework and found you are correct with respects to the county moving that direction…unfortunately, with being overly involved as I am with emergency services in the county…truthfully, I never knew it was discussed until recently..close guarded secrets I guess or maybe folks don’t want to get high hopes up..anyway…I’m gonna bite the bullet and get one..when stuff is ready to roll…I’ll just add in the additional programming for the different sites I’m employed at. Thanks everyone! Be safe

sbk1982

Thank you!! Very much appreciated and I’ve done the homework and found you are correct with respects to the county moving that direction…unfortunately, with being overly involved as I am with emergency services in the county…truthfully, I never knew it was discussed until recently..close guarded secrets I guess or maybe folks don’t want to get high hopes up..anyway…I’m gonna bite the bullet and get one..when stuff is ready to roll…I’ll just add in the additional programming for the different sites I’m employed at. Thanks everyone! Be safe

I can tell you for fact that all agencies were notified earlier this year about the intention. If your agency leadership did not pass that information down then ask them why that might be.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
What’s the status on the two tone paging retuning? I know. I know. It’s only July. But anything moving ahead with that yet or is it still sitting buried in the to do pile?

sbk1982

Currently in development with the vendor engineers. Waiting on word of the results of recent testing. Hopefully they'll have something to test/demo soon.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Good to hear!!! Not my county. I only visit but I hate alpha paging. We fought getting moved to that in the 90’s. The sooner the voice can be added back as an addition the better.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Good to hear!!! Not my county. I only visit but I hate alpha paging. We fought getting moved to that in the 90’s. The sooner the voice can be added back as an addition the better.
When Montour was on low band they went to ALPHA paging because of low band being so unreliable on voice pagers in most parts of the county considering they only had 2 towers for the entire county. Now that they're VHF high simulcast with Columbia they are moving away from alpha paging but no idea when or if it will be phased out completely.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
When Montour was on low band they went to ALPHA paging because of low band being so unreliable on voice pagers in most parts of the county considering they only had 2 towers for the entire county. Now that they're VHF high simulcast with Columbia they are moving away from alpha paging but no idea when or if it will be phased out completely.

I used to get Columbia really well then got nothing for years. I’m assuming that complying with some mandates played into that but it seems like since the merger I can pick them up well enough to understand what’s being said at least 80% of the time again.I’ve always liked how Columbia did things so it’s nice to hear the dual county dispatching and over voice paying as well. Double bonus.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
I used to get Columbia really well then got nothing for years. I’m assuming that complying with some mandates played into that but it seems like since the merger I can pick them up well enough to understand what’s being said at least 80% of the time again.I’ve always liked how Columbia did things so it’s nice to hear the dual county dispatching and over voice paying as well. Double bonus.
They are still currently using the ALPHA paging along with two tone at least in Montour County for now but that could get phased out eventually once they switch to the STARNet system which should be sometime this spring or early summer. The last tower was just going up right before Christmas so it shouldn't be much longer. The P25 system is live but they're not using it yet because that tower isn't finished and they have to do coverage testing when there's leaves on the trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.