York Region P25 Testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbriden

I have had both York Region AND toronto both in my scanner from almost day 1 of activation and hear NOTHING so most likely everything is encrypted and we are witnessing the end of our Scanner hobby SIGH....

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I was in the Toronto area last week and heard lots on the new system.

As for York, they're still in the testing phase so I don't know what you're expecting to hear?

SCPD

QRT
The reasoning behind why they were investigating that particular setup wasn't shared with me.

Cool, I just would have thought it would be the other way around, some services dispatch out in the clear but the mobile units are digital or encrypted.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I can only guess that they want address details, nature of the call and contact information kept private.

But like I said, it was only one of the options they were investigating.

SCPD

QRT
I can only guess that they want address details, nature of the call and contact information kept private.

But like I said, it was only one of the options they were investigating.

That would make a lot of sense. They switch to the Dispatch/Ops channel for call details and switch over to TAC for the call...

An probably so the media and those vultures (tows) can't find where an accident or fire etc...will be at

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Many large fire departments are P25 and are very happy with it. The noise cancellation on the Harris P25 system that London uses works very well.

Off the top of my head (in this area)... Windsor, London, Brantford, Hamilton, Orangeville and St Catherines fire are all using P25. Some enc, most not.

VE3RADIO

That would make a lot of sense. They switch to the Dispatch/Ops channel for call details and switch over to TAC for the call...

An probably so the media and those vultures (tows) can't find where an accident or fire etc...will be at

The vultures keep traffic flowing, they are needed no matter what the cities and towns tell you..the instant response times keep traffic flowing.. all the politicians are using buzz words and talking about commute times and transit and bla bla bla.. yet they are then encrypting radio traffic, putting people out of work and causing even more delay on the highways as they will need to go to the list for a tow truck.. poor response times will ensue.. and longer commutes in traffic.

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
With there now being more talk groups on the P25 system than there are in total on the current system (police, fire and ems) and every single P25 tg is encrypted, it looks to me like we won't be hearing anything out of any York Region emergency service in the future.

Aurora

Oct 1st switchover announced today. ALL ENCRYPTED

YORK REGIONAL POLICE TO LAUNCH DIGITAL RADIO SYSTEM
York Regional Police will be launching a new digital voice radio system on Wednesday, October 1, 2014.
Since its inception in 1971, York Regional Police has been using a traditional analog voice radio system for communication with officers on the road. Over the years, significant technological improvements have been made to voice radio that now allow for increased signal coverage, improved sound quality and Global Positioning System (GPS) capabilities that ultimately improve officer and community safety.
The new radio system that will be implemented has been provided by Motorola and will be a part of the new dispatch centre at Police Headquarters in Aurora, will be placed in all York Regional Police cars and will be carried by all officers. The new system upgrade is Project 25 compliant which will allow for improved communication with other emergency services agencies in the event of a major emergency situation. Project 25 is a suite of standards for digital radio communications for use by federal, provincial and local public safety agencies in North America to enable them to communicate with other agencies and mutual aid response teams in emergencies.
As police radio transmissions can often contain private information, the new digital radio system will be encrypted, which means that radio transmissions will no longer be heard on public scanners. While this may pose an issue to media and others that have listened to our radio transmissions, we have a responsibility to ensure that information transmitted by radio is kept secure and confidential.
For those who have relied on scanners as a means of gathering information on what is happening in York Region are now asked to contact Media Relations Officers or the Duty Inspectors Office after hours. Officers will be available to answer questions on what’s happening throughout the region. We will also continue to provide updates on significant events through our social meida sites. If you don’t already, we encourage you to follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook to receive information updates. We also encourage you to log onto York Regional Police and use real-time reporting of motor vehicle collisions under Crime News and the Crime Prevention Map for information on calls for service and proactive police work in York Region.
For more information please contact Corporate Communications at 1-866-875-5423 x2664.
Prepared by: Constable Andy Pattenden September 24, 2014

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
I've heard that Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill fire will not be switching to the new system at the same time as YRP. Likely a few months behind.

polkaroo

Missed him again!

For those who have relied on scanners as a means of gathering information on what is happening in York Region are now asked to contact Media Relations Officers or the Duty Inspectors Office after hours. Officers will be available to answer questions on what’s happening throughout the region.

Well, all of us who listen to York are gathering information about York Region... keep calling!

"Is there anything happening?"
"No."
... "is there anything happening now?"
"no."
... "what about now?"

VE3RADIO

Well, all of us who listen to York are gathering information about York Region... keep calling!

"Is there anything happening?"
"No."
... "is there anything happening now?"
"no."
... "what about now?"

I agree this is a good plan.. might raise some eyebrows.. if we can get media and tow trucks to do this also.

I have also thought if you could coordinate the tow trucks to not respond to a single call for a week that you could force the hand that way as well.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
OPP can be heard using a digital scanner. They do broadcast a first available told channel however that is only 4 highways or incident that the opp witness.. not normaly for york region police area

SCPD

QRT
depends who has the police contract for York region.as for the 400 series highways,doesnt the OPP broadcast first available tow?

OPP broadcasts over the air to tow trucks in the GTA, those trucks still have to be on a list of approved chase trucks, York uses contract tow companies and prefers not to allow customers a choice of who they do business with after an accident even though the region and the cities within issue business licenses and plates. It's the end of independent towing industry but hopefully the contract companies will be hiring a few extra drivers now that the chase trucks won't have much work and will be going out of business, maybe some of those guys can get hired on.

Status
Not open for further replies.