You have shown us your installs now show us you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Almost looks like Ritter/Banner in the background.

Ok, here is one of me in my office before I retired. I have a Bendix-King radio on my belt out of view. Does this picture qualify as one where I'm operating a mobile? The King is capable of operating on 2 meters!

View attachment 42848

OPTIONAL READING - The material that follows is written by a retired person and somewhat war storyish.

The Gore Tex parka, minus liner, is lashed to the top of my pack behind my head. This was a warm day in mid May at a 9,300 foot pass. This was the first day of a three or four day patrol. The pack is real small and only contains first aid, sleeping bag, emergency overnight and avalanche evaluation/rescue gear. Our food, sleeping gear (sheets, blankets), stove, lights and all the other creatures of comfort are at a ranger station cabin that we put our food, sleeping bag, towels and reading material in the fall prior to me shutting the road down when the first good snow storm arrived. Yes, we had beds, electric lights, a wood stove, a cord of wood, everything but a bathroom and running water since the water system had to be shut down during winter. We would then ski out from this cabin each day. There were multi-night camping patrols too, but most of them were on the route I'm on here. The greatest amount of "backcountry" winter use we had was in the area of this patrol. I say "backcountry" in quotes because if you can drive to it in the summer and have a cabin with electricity you are not really in the backcountry even though the plowing ended nine miles from the cabin. The picture is taken in a large and famous roadless area called the Ansel Adams Wilderness, but the route only crossed it for three miles.

We increased the area covered on this trip by skiing up from the end of the plowing on one road and looping over to the plowing on another road. The latest we ever opened the road while I was in charge of it was July 7th. The latest on record was July 15th (1983) and the earliest was May 25th (1990). The Sierra Nevada accumulates a lot of snow, most of which is usually wetter than snow in areas to its east. I've witnessed the growing season at some high elevation meadows to be less than 10 days in heavy, late snowfall years such as the record Sierra year of 1983. People that live in the higher elevations of the Sierra and Rockies, as well as those at northerly latitudes, say they only have three seasons: cleaning up from winter, getting ready for winter and winter! Another expression is that we have nine months of winter and three months of poor sledding! At least that is what we used to say, winters are getting shorter.

SCPD

QRT
Almost looks like Ritter/Banner in the background.

You are very astute and observant. Banner is out of the view to the right of Ritter. What you are seeing on the left is the Minarets. The first time I crossed Mammoth Pass I followed a compass bearing as the terrain is weird on the west side of the pass. As I went down I noticed Ritter was always in the view, so the next time I went down I left the compass in my pack and just looked for the mountain. I ended up just where I needed to, which is right at the Red's Meadow resort.

There is a strange area due west of the pass I call the "Hoodoos" and the Mono County Search and Rescue team calls "the dells " The terrain does not follow hydrological features. Tributaries often join each other and end up in a dead end. Right next to that drainage there would be a very small drainage that would then follow the terrain and continue down the pass. Some of the large drainages are perpendicular to the downhill direction and others that are at weird. Sometimes people duck under the ropes warning people not to ski down the back side of Mammoth Mountain. They sometimes get in the hoodoos, become very confused and can't figure out how to get out. As trail signing in the summer, combined with well used hiking trails normally keep people from wandering into the area.

Some of the most involved search and rescue incidents have been caused by people who duck the ropes. About 99% of the people involved have no land navigation skills at all and don't have a pack with some extra food and additional clothing layers to keep them wam overnight. Some try to follow the San Joaquin River as they have heard the old statement of "if you get lost just follow the water downhill and you will locate 'civilization' ." The San Joaquin River becomes very hazardous to follow about 4 river miles south of Devil's Postpile National Monument so that doesn't work well.

Some of the lost people have FRS and/or GMRS radios and think that there won't be a problem as they can just call their friends or someone who listens for emergencies on each frequency. I kid you not, people actually think that if they turn off their privacy code they can call out and get help. Wow, no wonder there are SAR's in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.