You know what I would like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrova

With my psr500, here's something I'd like to see. It's simple thing, but kind of handy. I'd like to see the GRE people put a bit of white paint in that little bitty line on the volume and squelch control. Like I said, it's a simple litte thing, but it sure would be handy to me to look at it quickly and see where they're set at.

And what the heck, if they would do this, they'll probably sell zillions more of these great little radios, and so, yes, I'd be glad to accept an additional radio for the idea...
sv

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
For years I've added my own index line to knobs with Liquid Paper. It seems to hold up well, and if you need to touch it up, it's easy to find more.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
I've used florescent yellow model paint for years. I apply it with a tooth pick (can't find a cheap brush that is fine enough).

On my 500, I put it on the reverse of the volume control, opposite the protrusion, so I can see it. The detent on the knob faces to the rear when it's on. I also have it on the squelch so I know when I've moved it when adjusting the volume.

mrova

I there too...

That's exactly what I'm gonna do. I do wish they'd spend the extra penny or two and go ahead and do it, but it's not really a big deal.
sv

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Paint is not GRE's forte. My 500 is just a coupla months old, and I don't really carry it that much, but the keyboard paint is already wearing off. I doubt it will last much longer. Whiteout might be a better solution.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Paint is not GRE's forte.

It's more of a "forte" than Uniden, that's for sure. Even my original Pro-96 and 2096 have all their buttons still glossy and in great condition. I've had my PSR-500 since the first week they came out with no noticeable wear. And yes, mine goes around with me a lot, from the -40F weather in winter to the +80F we're having lately....

Your radio must be rubbing constantly against stuff or something....

mrova

I just use a piece of thin wire, and painted mine with white semi-gloss cause that's what I had laying around. Looks like it oughta looked from the factory.
sv

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I'm like kikito, had it from beginning week and not indications of wear.

The 600 has the paint strip btw.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Because the belt clip is so flimsy, I stick mine in my pocket. Perhaps that's why my keyboard paint is coming off.

Because the belt clip is so flimsy, I stick mine in my pocket. Perhaps that's why my keyboard paint is coming off.

Yes. Pocket carry is evil. It will wear all the numbering and lettering off. I am forced to do it now and then, and am VERY careful putting it in and taking it out, and am aware of the this issue. The clip isn't really that flimsy, but it is made to break before the bracket that holds it, as it should be. I think they are $2 to replace, and that is a heck of a lot better than having the keypad with worn letters / numbers. Of course it the radio hits pavement and shatters, that is a lot worse than worn lettering.

The OP hit on something about the lack of markings on the knob though. VERY annoying. I have learned to know the position by feel though. I just crank down to the point of it almost turning off, then I know how far by feel to turn it, so it isn't up in the range that can mess with the speaker (clipping). Still, yet another thing they need to fix on the next model.

Status
Not open for further replies.