You know you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCRay

Can't tell much from the picture, but it looks like it could be useful in certain applications.
Like disaster aid, or search and rescue, etc.

And no, I don't even know the seller.

Not sure where all the negative comments are coming from, unless just following the OPs lead.
Maybe I'm missing something?
I'm adding my own previous post to this.

I was missing something....
Now I get it, this negative barrage isn't just about the vest
It's an opportunity to make sport of the, usually well intended hams, who engage in amateur radio in a service capacity with HT radios
Yes, I suppose there are a lot of inexpensive Baofengs in use. Not everyone can afford more.
No wonder the hobby is heading into obscurity.
Intolerant old hams. You know who you are.

For the record:.my profile

Licensed Extra class
Ham shack equipment is Yaesu mainly. HF, VHF, UHF
Grumpy old man.
Training locally for emergency situation communication ( Baofengs welcome)

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Now I get it, this negative barrage isn't just about the vest
It's an opportunity to make sport of the, usually well intended hams, who engage in amateur radio in a service capacity with HT radios
Yes, I suppose there are a lot of inexpensive Baofengs in use. Not everyone can afford more.
No wonder the hobby is heading into obscurity.
Intolerant old hams. You know who you are.

For the record:.my profile

Licensed Extra class
Ham shack equipment is Yaesu mainly. HF, VHF, UHF
Grumpy old man.
Training locally for emergency situation communication ( Baofengs welcome)
And before anyone starts, I've been a ham for decades. Sometimes poking fun at our hobby is needed, lest we take ourselves too seriously.
(Translation: Lighten up, Francis!)

You are not alone. Lots of us (me included) have been hams for a very long time.

I personally do not care if a ham can only afford a Baofeng. I will happily tell them "welcome to the hobby".

As for the rest of this, see the "lighten up Francis!" above.
We do not make fun of hams for helping. We do not make fun of hams if they need to wear a vest while working along side the highway or in a parking lot.

Where we DO make fun of hams is when they take themselves FAR too seriously and start wearing them at the ham fests (yes, I've see it), IHOP, etc. It's a hobby.

Everyone else seems to get the humor in this. There are always a few hams that get hurt feelers. None of this was directed at you, it's only a lighthearted look at ourselves. If you can't laugh about some of this stuff, then maybe it's hitting a bit too close to home.

Seriously, lighten up. It's a hobby. This is the internet. We're having fun. It's Saturday night, go out and do something enjoyable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
does it come in adult sizes.....wait..wait, nevermind. i would be a 6 foot carrot and that would scare folks.

I can do one better.
My son was helping me change out the brake pads on my truck this afternoon. I had him doing most of the hard stuff. I had a good pair of jeans on and didn't want to get brake dust/caliper grease all over them. I have an old/worn set of coveralls I use, they were at one time bright orange, now more of a faded orangy color. I didn't notice that I had a greenish hat on also. My son looks up and goes "Hell no, I'm not doing this with a walking carrot".

I proceeded to stand next to the truck with my arms over my head and my legs spread so I'd look like a giant traffic cone.

At least he has a sense of humor….

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I had a good pair of jeans on and didn't want to get brake dust/caliper grease all over them.
For many years, our branch manager was a stickler for employee personal appearance. Long hair and visible piercings were discouraged for men. The only field people who were allowed to wear jeans were the pipefitters. Then we got a new branch manager who relaxed the "dress code". He tried to prove that he was one of us by wearing jeans to the office on days that he didn't have meetings with higher-ups or customers. But, we knew he wasn't ever going to actually be one of us because his idea of jeans were the designer variety with fancy embroidery on the pockets. Definitely not construction site attire.

As for wearing orange, this was Friday in Indianapolis: Gun violence survivor hopes his story will stop the trend amid “Wear Orange Day”

a417

Is it available in HiViz? (Preferably with reflective piping.)
radio_communications_armband_1024x1024@2x.jpg
I think the new Ham 2024 bylaws state you need contrasting hi-viz colors on scenes where you are not needed. I think if you wear the hi-viz orange, you need this over your arm to make sure you're not confused with the wand wavers.

LCRay

You are not alone. Lots of us (me included) have been hams for a very long time.

I personally do not care if a ham can only afford a Baofeng. I will happily tell them "welcome to the hobby".

As for the rest of this, see the "lighten up Francis!" above.
We do not make fun of hams for helping. We do not make fun of hams if they need to wear a vest while working along side the highway or in a parking lot.

Where we DO make fun of hams is when they take themselves FAR too seriously and start wearing them at the ham fests (yes, I've see it), IHOP, etc. It's a hobby.

Everyone else seems to get the humor in this. There are always a few hams that get hurt feelers. None of this was directed at you, it's only a lighthearted look at ourselves. If you can't laugh about some of this stuff, then maybe it's hitting a bit too close to home.

Seriously, lighten up. It's a hobby. This is the internet. We're having fun. It's Saturday night, go out and do something enjoyable.
I rarely post here.
No, I didn't take it personally.
It just struck me as looking down one's nose at a different group of hams and their radios.
No need to comment further.

BTW
Semper Paratus
USCG
Cape May NJ ( 1969)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I rarely post here.
No, I didn't take it personally.

Good, none of it is meant personally.

It just struck me as looking down one's nose at a different group of hams and their radios.

It's just humor. If we cannot laugh at ourselves, someone else will happily do it for us. Plus, like I said, it keeps us from getting too serious. Gotta remember this is a hobby.

BTW
Semper Paratus
USCG
Cape May NJ ( 1969)

Cape May also, 1993. Q142CD

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For many years, our branch manager was a stickler for employee personal appearance. Long hair and visible piercings were discouraged for men. The only field people who were allowed to wear jeans were the pipefitters. Then we got a new branch manager who relaxed the "dress code". He tried to prove that he was one of us by wearing jeans to the office on days that he didn't have meetings with higher-ups or customers. But, we knew he wasn't ever going to actually be one of us because his idea of jeans were the designer variety with fancy embroidery on the pockets. Definitely not construction site attire.

As for wearing orange, this was Friday in Indianapolis: Gun violence survivor hopes his story will stop the trend amid “Wear Orange Day”

When I moved into management, I tried switching from jeans and boots to dockers and some "nice" shoes. Lasted about a week, then a contractor cut a cable that fed one of our radio sites. Friday afternoon, so most of the team had already headed home. I ended up down in a manhole temporarily splicing the cable to get our dispatch center reconnected to the trunked system.

Haven't worn anything but jeans and boots since. But I did retain a service truck, all my tools and test equipment. Not a problem at work, and the techs know they are still likely to find me out in the field.

I think my last pair of new jeans were $25, absolutely not designer.

The job is just too unpredictable to dress up and try to look like someone I'm not. Upper management knows how I role and they don't have an issue with it. I've made it clear that if they make me dress up and/or take away the service truck, tools and everything else, I'd probably walk.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If that doesn't come with a "Kick Me" sign, it needs to.

Waiting for someone to swoop in and post about how it's the greatest headlight around and I'm a terrible person for speaking negatively about it.

That person would need a "Kick Me" sign, also.
That’s no lie!

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Needed at every Field Day [according to all those awarded the 'Worked All Memory Care Facilities' certificate], these reflective portable radio straps that read "NO CODE AMATEUR".

Radio_ID_Band_1__30979.1534641483.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.