You might be an OCPD dispatcher if...

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

I found this on myspace:

You choose a resturant not on how good the food is but how many times this week you've eaten at it.

You have 8 hours of radios not by choice but b/c there's not enough radio dispatchers... then you beg for phones on your overtime

one word - mandatory

All your coworkers are quiting, retiring, or just disappearing.

"come to 102 please"

2 tape recorders in the conference room is a typical daily occurance... well it was for a while there.

You can have a full conversation using 10 codes and signal codes and your friends will never understand.

You catch yourself talking to officers, emsa workers, fire people, and other dispatchers not b/c they are interesting but b/c they are up at the same hours you are.

Trainee= you can do anything you want

12 hour shifts ... aint nothin..

Betty Doakes is your new best friend.

Santa Fe is the devil

You dont know people by their names but by their initials

You are used to saying the radios are messed up again.

During a pursuit the radio conveniently goes out again.. and MA/COM blames it on too much static.

You're not really for sure how to do the armed robbery tone anymore.

You have to sign a memo to promise you'll come in for your overtime.

coming to work at 3 really means 2:53.

Last edited:

KE5EHI

phil_smith said:
You can have a full conversation using 10 codes and signal codes and your friends will never understand.

I think this one is better saying

"You can form full sentences using nothing but numbers"

CommShrek

A lot of that stuff holds true for Tulsa PD dispatch as well. A lot of the things there are exactly the same and mean exactly the same there.

oSutrooper

Ocpd

Being on OCPD dispatcher I can tell u that all of that is true... I have seen that on myspace and we live by that all the time.....

red8

Hey Phil,
So do Baton Rouge City and East Baton Rouge Sheriff live by that
all the time. They never have it easy. Especially the trainee part.

fireant

You receive page outs of fire calls over 3 hours later than they actually happen often already responded to the calls already earlier in the shift. What a great system glad to see my tax dollars going to such a wonderful system.

fireant

KK5FM

Dispatching is one of the most difficult and underappreciated jobs in the world. Officers often think you are an idiot, you take verbal abuse from citizens, the pay doesn't match the responsibility, all of the homeland security money is going to shiny new toys instead of the people who make it work, you are usually a civilian in a paramilitary structure, and the 99.9% of the job that is done right isn't recognized, but the .1% of mistakes makes national news.

dbestfirefighter

Dozer
Premium Subscriber
My favorite dispatch story (when i was a SO dispatcher). I went to go eat with some deputys and a couple of troopers while on duty (I was on dinner break) they all got free food except for me...so I looked at them and they all said what...(like thats what I should expect for service). Not that Im complaining about food industry giving LEO's free food. But I thought I was considered part of the LEO team....Big mistake on my part.... I got mine in the end though because those troopers and deputys answered every COW IN THE ROAD CALL for the next month...lol

car2back

dbestfirefighter said:
My favorite dispatch story (when i was a SO dispatcher). I went to go eat with some deputys and a couple of troopers while on duty (I was on dinner break) they all got free food except for me...so I looked at them and they all said what...(like thats what I should expect for service). Not that Im complaining about food industry giving LEO's free food. But I thought I was considered part of the LEO team....Big mistake on my part.... I got mine in the end though because those troopers and deputys answered every COW IN THE ROAD CALL for the next month...lol

haha, I used to get into fights over the phone with OHP about whose call it was when there was a cow in the road. I finally said, "look, Whose gonna work the wreck if someone hits it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.