Youloop / Spytenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
There have been several conversation threads in the airspy@groups.io e-list on the on the passive loops Youloop and Spytenna. If you are not a member, I encourage you to check it out. I'm in the market for a passive loop that is easy to transport so I can add it to my DX kit.

DX Kit.jpg

--
Mike

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I built one of these a few months back. Was designed by one of the Airspy engineers I understand, works well on my SDRplay RSP1A.

I bought the toroid and wire off amazon. I used 22g wire, but I'd advise something a bit smaller. It took me a few tries to get it wound without nicking the insulation.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I used RG8 for the main loop, and RG58 for the feedline. The feedline was a piece I salvaged from an antenna replacement on a game wardens truck, it has an FME connector on the end so I can change the ends to whatever I may need, SMA, BNC, etc.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I believe I've seen this exact schematic on another list. It seems like it would be well worth trying not only for portable use, but if you are close to an urban area with lots of MW, FM or TV stations. The lack of an amplifier which might cause issues using it on broadbanded SDRs might actually be a plus in this case. Remember that with loops, you're not looking to get the strongest signal, you're looking to have better signal quality (less noise and other interference). Good find....Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
The pics are from Thomas Witherspoon. He said a description of his loop construction will follow shortly in his blog.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 42
  • B.jpg
    B.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 43
  • C.jpg
    C.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 41
  • D.jpg
    D.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 41
  • E.jpg
    E.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 35
  • F.jpg
    F.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 32
  • G.jpg
    G.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 37
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 35
  • I.jpg
    I.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 43
  • J.jpg
    J.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 40

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I tried to google YouLoop but didn't come up with it. Do you have a link, Mike? the other Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Mike,
As far as I know, there are no links yet. I'd keep an eye on the Airspy.us website as the most likely place that it will show up first.

--
Mike2 :)

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Couple of variations, even though one is labeled "Youloop". The "SpyTenna3 added for reference.

--
Mike

Attachments

• antenna-mag-loop-coupling-balanced-b.jpg
    antenna-mag-loop-coupling-balanced-b.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 74
  • youloop.jpg
    youloop.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 78
  • SpyTenna3.png
    SpyTenna3.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The pics are from Thomas Witherspoon. He said a description of his loop construction will follow shortly in his blog.

Thomas put on a very interesting and informative presentation about SDR ("A New Era In Portable SDR DXing") in the field at the SWL Winterfest 10 days ago. Some of those pics appeared in the presentation, and he may post the presentation or other parts of it on his blog soon.

In a nutshell, he goes out in the field to monitor and DX chase, but quite often sets the SDR to record a slice of spectrum for a couple of hours while he goes out with his family. He can then surf through the recording in real time at his leisure in the comfort of his home.

That passive loop is one of the antennas he uses when he's out gallivanting about.

Jef Eichner returned with the latest episode in his loop antenna series also, although his series leans more toward small transmitting loops.

Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I've yet to make a Winterfest. :( Only been at this SWL-thing since 1967.

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Youssef commented that he expects the the released version of the Youloop to be right around $40. Oh, 8 of the BN-73-302 binocular cores arrived in the post the other day. A trip to Universal is now in order to pick up some appropriate coax for a homebrew attempt ... or two.

--
Mike

p1879

The Youloop is in at Airspy and on their website for sale. Mine is coming soon!
p1879

Status
Not open for further replies.