Youngstown Police Department digital switchover info

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholasserra

Thanks for the info. Yeah, YPD was still broadcasting call outs to cars on the analog system, but that's it, no responses. I took the live feed down the day of the switchover and stopped monitoring it.

Ray44512

Premium Subscriber
Sad

My old PRO-2001 keeps rolling along with no action except for Struthers, which I couldn't care less about. The Motorolas are silent, nothing on the bearcat but the water department and a far off forgotten FD. My home and car are quite quiet. From time to time I pass through the south side and felt a little more comfortable having a heads up on which streets were exploding with action. Ducked out of the way during a couple pursuits as well, but that knowledge is now gone. Oh well.

Nasby

If you decide to ever upgrade to a digital scanner, there are still some agencies in the Valley that can be monitored (not Ytown unfortunately).

But you are correct in that the good ole days of using an analog PRO-2001 for hearing the action are long gone now. Much like the steel mills that once ruled the area.

Schmetzy13

Hey everyone, I've been hearing the YPD dispatcher in the clear for about a week straight now. Nearly every car is still encrypted, but this "new" setup is at least something. I wonder if the media asked YPD to throw them a bone.

nicholasserra

I'm only hearing bits and pieces on 39500. Maybe I need to program in the other channels?

Just like Austintown did before they encrypted: the system sounds like garbage. I assumed when youngstown joined they'd upgrade the system. Still sounds like crap compared to the old analog radios. I'd love to hear the opinions of the dispatchers and cars.

Nasby

The system may sound crappy on a scanner but I'd bet you money, or a slice of Brier Hill Pizza, that the sytem sounds great on the commercial grade radios that the officers and dispatchers use.

Afterall, it was the complaints of poor radio coverage from the users of the analog YPD system that played a crucial role in their switchover to the new digital system.

Nasby

Hey everyone, I've been hearing the YPD dispatcher in the clear for about a week straight now. Nearly every car is still encrypted, but this "new" setup is at least something. I wonder if the media asked YPD to throw them a bone.

I'm pretty sure that the Vindy and local news channels have radios with receive only capabilities for YPD dispatch so they can cover events in the Valley

nicholasserra

The system may sound crappy on a scanner but I'd bet you money, or a slice of Brier Hill Pizza, that the sytem sounds great on the commercial grade radios that the officers and dispatchers use.

Afterall, it was the complaints of poor radio coverage from the users of the analog YPD system that played a crucial role in their switchover to the new digital system.

Yeah, you may be right.

I heard from a vindy reporter that the paper and the city got into it over the restricted radios. I don't think they have access. At least, I haven't heard that anything has changed.

Nasby

One of the Vindy reports actually threatened the City with a lawsuit over the issue.
Not sure what, if anything ever came of it though.

nicholasserra

Welp i'm not hearing anything but broken up dispatch randomly. If anyone has their system dialed in where it sounds good let me know the setup.

I'm on a BCD996XT. Not having issues listening to YFD on here. But seems like the YPD stuff is getting interrupted right in the middle of broadcasts. Maybe an issue with the trunking on my end.

Schmetzy13

I have a BCD436HP and a BC396XT setup and I'm able to hear all of the YPD dispatcher's radio traffic without any problems. I hear the "break-up" when a car answers shortly after the dispatcher due to the encryption. Every once in a while, a car will transmit in the clear.

I'd recommend checking to ensure that your frequencies are correct and also opening up your squelch more than normal. This is due to the fact that this system is running off of multiple towers throughout the area (Austintown, YSU, Boardman, Milton, Salem) and when a scanner receives multiple towers, it doesn't know which one to use (especially with the BC396XT).

Septa3371CSX1

Sounds like the encryption is set as selective and not strapped. Most likely case here is the dispatch console has the encryption selector in the off position while most of the mobiles and portables have it in the on position.

nicholasserra

I have a BCD436HP and a BC396XT setup and I'm able to hear all of the YPD dispatcher's radio traffic without any problems. I hear the "break-up" when a car answers shortly after the dispatcher due to the encryption. Every once in a while, a car will transmit in the clear.

I'd recommend checking to ensure that your frequencies are correct and also opening up your squelch more than normal. This is due to the fact that this system is running off of multiple towers throughout the area (Austintown, YSU, Boardman, Milton, Salem) and when a scanner receives multiple towers, it doesn't know which one to use (especially with the BC396XT).

Thank you, I tried all this, but didn't hear a single thing yesterday. Maybe they fixed their "issue".

nicholasserra

Has anyone else been able to get YPD dialed in on their scanner. Having no luck so far on mine. Wondering if anyone is still hearing it in the clear, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.