Your favorite choice for tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6HCB

Looking to pick up a new tripod for using on scene of incidents for photography and video. Will be mounting a Nikon DSLR, Sony P&S and a Sony HVR-A1U or similar production size camera. Height, adjustment, durability, easy of swapping electronics, etc etc. What do all of you use, like, dont like, recommend, etc?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I really depends on how much you want to spend, if you need a good Video tripod I would suggest Manfrotto.
Manfrotto 501HDV Head - Pro
This is a great tripod head and is the most important part, you could then put it on any good solid tripod. You should be able to find the previous generation to this head used on Ebay. This is the head I have on all my tripods, except a couple that are mainly photography tripods, and It works great.

eagleswings01

Another vote for Manfrotto - they make incredible tripods AND have incredible customer service!

OldDeadOne

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am considering getting a Manfrotto tripod when I get my first DSLR so I can have nice shots of wildlife,landscapes,etc Most people that talk about tripods on the DSLR forums I frequent like Manfrotto alot :)

eagleswings01

They really do make fantastic tripods, and their prices are reasonable considering what other companies are charging (Really Right Stuff, Bogen, etc).

Sportster77

Premium Subscriber
I recently picked up a Vanguard with a Vanguard BH50 ball head and so far it seems pretty good even with my Sigma 170-500 APO lens on my D80 equipped with a MB-D80 battery pack. Before that I used a Digital Solutions with a pan/tilt head and the only reason for the change was for the ball head.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I've got both a Vangard Alta Pro and a Manfroto 055CXPRO3 tripod along with various heads (3-way & Geared) and other accessories. Of the two the Manfroto gets the most use because of it's light weight though there are times when the heavier Vangard is the one that `gets the nod'. (One of my latest `passions' is `field' macro-photography and there are times when with a bag or two of lead shot hanging off the tripod just isn't quite enough weight to keep things as steady as I like, want, or need. [I have been doing a lot of my shooting out on the eastern plains of Colorado and the high steppes of Wyoming and both places can get quite windy, with Wyoming being more likely.])

Prior to my acquiring the Alta Pro tripod I'd been using another Vangard tripod somewhat similar to the Tracker 4. (Which my son now uses.) But, an old family friend managed to get me interested trying my hand at macro photography and he convinced me to get the Alta Pro. (It also somewhat helped that I was able to easily acquire it locally for a decent `deal of a price' along with my previous experiences with my Vangard tripod.) Along the way I also started collecting various assorted heads and accessories.

The Manfroto came into my possesion via a strange circumstance. That same old family friend suddenly died and as part of his will he gave it to me. Before he died we had been joking that eventually I'd decide that I'd like to have a lighter and better tripod to lug around than my Vangards and he was considering whether or not to write me into his will to get his new Manfroto. To say that *both* his `passing' *and* also writing me into his will was a big shock is an understatement. In fact I had started looking for one for myself only a few days before I received the news nad eventually tripod. We'd also already made plans for several `fieldtrips' later on this summer.

Anyhow... I don't think one can really go wrong with either brands/models tripods and heads though I will admit that there are some more interesting Manfroto heads available than there are from Vangard.

Status
Not open for further replies.