Your Favorite Ham Radio Logging Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
I have used the N3FJP software, which was OK, but now I use Ham Radio Deluxe Radio control and logging software. I have not seen anything better.

Ham Radio Deluxe > Home

I'm currently test-driving N3FJP's Amateur Contact Log 3.0 (45 days fully functional, $19.95 N3FJP's Amateur Radio Software ) So far, so good. It's just "ok" They have a ton of other specialty logging software too.

There are so many to choose from:

Logging - Software: Logging

What program are you using and what do you like/dislike about it?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Ham Radio Deluxe Been using it for years..It is now under new ownership, and will no longer be a free program...

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Where did you get that info? I just went to HRD's website and it's still free.

Dig around the forums. Version 5 is, and 5.1 will be free, versions after that will not be.

Also, In order to use QRZ as a lookup while logging, you'll need the XML subscription. Fred has said that "scraper" programs will be blocked from now on. Can't blame him, he's laying out a bundle to Keep QRZ running...

Reference :Our progress towards the future of HRD

and
Change in Free QRZ Lookups

RocketNJ

I Use the Ham Radio Deluxe logging program. Integrates to eQSL and Logbook of the World fine.
I also have the XML subscription to QRZ.com for callsign lookup. Works fine for what I do.

I do not use Ham Radio Deluxe to integrate to the radio since I use an SDR radio. I use a program called mini deluxe which translates a virtual serial cable to IP to allow the PowerSDR software to talk to the HRD Logbook and send frequency, mode, etc.

I use the HRD Rotor program to integrate my rotor control so that when I click on a spot in the DX cluster the antenna turns automatically if the beam heading field is valid for the spot.

Having everything integrated and automated makes using the HF station fun!

Go work those DX stations, the bands are getting hot.

K4APR

I tried N3FJP several years ago and I was not all that enthused with it. However, recently a friend of mine pointed out that the software was much better and that I should give it another shot. Downloaded the most recent version the other night and fired it up. It didn't look much different to me from the last time I had tried it, but appeared to have new functions hidden in menus. Apparently LoTW is all the rage, so I am in the excruciating process of getting that set up. Once I have that, I can integrate it into N3FJP and see if it's a good fit for me.

For now, I have a sprial steno pad and that really works well for me.

ve3zo

I use DXBase 2007, I have been using it for a while and it was recommended to me by a ham who has been licensed for 30 or so years and has 33 thousand or so contacts.

k8mcn

i would reccomend two programs

IMHO N3FJP's software is the best to use for most contests, very easy learning curve, uses low system resources, scans a DX cluster if you want,has minimal rig control, and is just very user friendly and intuitive in contests. After your contest, just export an ADIF file and import into Ham Radio Deluxe.

I think HRD is the best for your main log, but N3FJP makes an excellant addition for contesting as HRD is not at all "contest" friendly..
ps N3FJP networks very well for several stations running multi in a contest or for field day.

HRD is supposed to have one more "free" update, then the word is it will become a "paid" program--how much and how good is yet to be seen.

k8mcn

Where did you get that info? I just went to HRD's website and it's still free.
Simon sold the program--cant blame him, worked his butt off for years to make it what it is and he now is really involved in software defined radios Check out SDR-RADIO.com > Home

....new owners of HRD have stated there will be one more free update and after that, time will tell..........

k8wtf

I've been using N3FJP's ACLog. I mainly use it because it is a very simple, uncluttered package. I tried HRD and a few others when I first started looking, and I settled on ACLog for its simplicity.

Also, while I don't contest much, the contesting software available is really nice and customized to the specific rules and requirements of the contests they support. I will be making use of their ARRL 10 meter contest package this weekend.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that ACLog will not meet my needs forever. It has only the most basic tie-in for rig control (I only use it for logging mode and freq), and it's search and reporting is a little archaic. Also, I don't think the software is under active development any longer. I don't think there have been any updates in 2 years or so.

For the time being though, since I'm just getting my feet wet with HF, ACLog suits me pretty well. When I do eventually switch, I'll continue to use their contest logs.

Status
Not open for further replies.