Your local Radio shack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stavro35

I am wondering if your local Radio shack market's and sell's scanner's? I moved from Southeast Georgia where my local store didn't have scanner's in their store.To another town in Northwest Washington,same story. I don't understand why they even bother having a market share in the scaner world at all? Sell off the scanner's to someone that will market them and have someone that knows about them.

I realize there is no money in them. But I am tired of going into Radio shack and bugged about buying a battery or friggin cell phone contract.

John_M

There are scanners in my local RS. The windows have Cingular stickers all over them. They may be better off letting some of the Ham stores that sell Uniden scanners sell their scanners also.

daleduke17

The two Radio Shack stores here in town have scanners, along with most of the stores in the surrounding towns.

I visit the one in the mall down the street from where I live just to see what the prices are on stuff (and give my wife Christmas ideas). I was in one about thirty minutes from here, and had to describe in detail why I was looking so hard for a Pro-96. He told me "The 97 is the same, just cheaper". He was totally clueless to the P25 idea (other clerks at other places have been as well*).

*- Now, if a couple here and there aren't up on stuff like that, then, that's cool. When it seems to be an entire STORE of people are clueless on stuff, then, that is bad news.

Too bad Radio Shack is seemingly turning into Everything-but-Radios Shack. I have NEXTEL, I'm happy. All I want is some coax, maybe some connectors, a couple pieces for my computer, and that is it. No cell phones, no satellite systems (I already have Dish, thanks!), no little gadget-y toys. I am not angry at the clerks, as they just have to shill that stuff as part of their jobs, but, the top-level people who think that is all people want from there.

N4JNW

PhoneShack blows..

I remember when I was young... RadioShack WAS RadioShack... Ham radio's, CB's, Scanners, Shortwave recievers, Project kits.. Ahh the memories...

I pity the corporate kiss-butt that proped the idea to boot all the good stuff out of the stores and market keyboards and computers.

rpowley

Most of the R/S's around me have minimal scanner stock There are two within a 15 mile radius that seem to keep the full line in stock.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
In SW Montana they had the Pro-96 next to two others. I asked if they had the 2096 in the store warehouse, and the salesman said they never was a 2096!!!!! They sould name it cellshack.

timmer

None of this is surprising. The Radio Shacks in my city are the same as described above. Very little knowledge of scanners. I bought a pro-83 recently and the clerk acted like I was annoying the hell out of him for asking if they had any in stock. The fact is, none of the retail stores can find good help. Hell, I work in a factory type job and the company

InlandAZ

junior17172003 said:
Why is it still called RADIO Shack, anyway?
Sad but true - It's more a Cell Phone, junk toy shack. I've had to order my last several purchases over the internet (apparently they're cutting back on what they carry "in store"). So, why bother with brick and mortar at all?

It's a shame... I've had to locate other suppliers (just can't find what I need at the local Shack).

timmer

(continued) I work for can't find any decent help. You're lucky if you can find anyone who isn't on drugs (or selling them). So, in this regard the Shack isn't any diffrent than any other retailer. The bottom line is money. If they're not making money on a certain item, they're either going to discontinue selling it or keep selling it but do it half-assed and not spend any time training their clerks on how to sell it. Aparently, they've chosen the latter.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
The three I know of that are nearby do. Another good thing that I am hearing is rare now is that in one of these stores they have someone that really knows his stuff. All of the scanners in that store work and there is always one on with the local stuff programed (mostly Mot Type II.) Also any question you may have he is very helpful.

SLWilson

In stock

Our local RS has a few scanners. Mostly computer stuff now, a few TV components. Junky cellular stuff. They DON'T have any trunking or "expensive" scanners in the store though. They want you to PAY for it there & have it shipped to your house !!!!
Steve :(

Chev_am

I seriously can't relate to what any of you are talking about. RadioShack still sells Cbs, Shortwave radios, Scanners (with trunking), Antennas, Coax, Kits. All of that. They have a small section for Cell phones only takes up about 15% of the wall to the left. Maybe it's yet to happen here in New York.:(

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I call Radio Shack Rat Shack LOL. I see more junk is coming but radios are not. I had to go like 50 miles to get pro96.....?

trixwagen

Hey, Radio Shack goes where the profits are. If the same number of people bought scanners as they do cell phones, there would be a greater selection of scanners on the shelves and a more radio-savvy staff (in a perfect world).

I'm still wondering where all the HAM radio equipment went from Radio Shack. Not very profitable, apparently.

timmer

Same here with ordering and having it shipped to your house. The local Shack does not carry Pro-96 or 2096. Just not enough people buying them, I guess. I don't really have a problem with ordering and having it shipped to my house. Saves me a trip.

mkh

trixwagen said:
Hey, Radio Shack goes where the profits are. If the same number of people bought scanners as they do cell phones, there would be a greater selection of scanners on the shelves and a more radio-savvy staff (in a perfect world).

I'm still wondering where all the HAM radio equipment went from Radio Shack. Not very profitable, apparently.

That's why they have been in financial trouble. Maybe it is time to put the radio back into Radio Shack.

Stores in my area (Jacksonville, FL) don't seem to carry much in the line of scanners. Perhaps because Jacksonville and a lot of other stuff locally is encrypted.

MK

The stores in my area carry very few scanners. Most of the ones they have are the low price units with bubble plastic packaging. RS just doesn't sell enough scanners to keep them in every stores inventory.

I expect scanners to be around for up to 10 years, maybe less. By that time communications for emergency services will be digital and encrypted. There are numerous plans in motion right now to light up large major cities with wireless data communications. As that happens the cost of emergency radio communications will be reduced and the time of deployment will be shortened. No more waiting half a decade for design, budget, and approval. Enjoy the hobby while you can. In ten years we will be talking, not typing, on wireless broadband and reminiscing about the good old days of scanning.

KLH

Feed Provider
My store sells scanners, and are usually well stocked on the popular ones (PRO 97, 2055, 96, 2096).
It's all in the market. If a store doesn't sell scanners, then there is no need to have 2 feet of space wasted to something that is never sells in that store.

RS does make some pretty good money on some of those scanners/accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.