TRX-2: Your Opinions On The TRX-2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Hi,

I want everyones thoughts and opinions on the TRX-2.

1. What features you like?
  2. Don't like?
  3. Why you bought the TRX-2 over the Uniden models?
  4. How is it on simulcast?
  5. Etc....

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Forget it. Save your money and get a Unication Pager OR SDS100/200 if you need P25 Digital AT ALL. My WS1080 is an expensive WX radio now. Whistlers are so bad on Simulcast *especially mobile and Phase II that it drove me to buy Unication. Never been happier now.

pgates

1. Having all the entitlements in-place when you purchase. No need to purchase anything additional if you want to explore monitoring other modes.
    2. Updateable onboard database that is easily loaded from the front panel, if you're in need of a rough-and-ready monitoring of a new area.
    3. Small magnetically-mounted remote head for easy mobile installation. It's the only part of my TRX-2 you can see anywhere in my car and takes very little dash space. Concerned about theft? Take it off the mount and stow it. Radio will run without the head attached, once started.
    4. "object-oriented" configuration which allows for much flexibility in scanning, if you choose.
    5. Front-of-radio headphone jack.
    6. LED alert for specific talk groups or frequencies, if you choose.
    7. Easy to remove previously-skipped channels.
    8. I like the search options: spectrum sweeper, service search, limit search, tuning.
    9. V-scanner!
    10. I like that it will play a busy signal sound (if I choose) for encrypted channels. Just so I know something's going on.
  2. Don't like?
    1. I wish I could create new virtual scanners from the front panel.
    2. I think it's slow. I haven't measured this and, it could be my configuration but, it doesn't seem to swap through channels very quickly.
    3. The painfully long boot-up time. Although, that also could possibly be improved through some attention to my configuration.
    1. I have a bit of a history with GRE scanners (the design company that market scanning receivers under their own name as well as quite a few for Radio Shack). I still use my well-loved PSR-500 nearly daily. Whistler Group purchased the intellectual property from GRE when they were no longer able to carry on as a viable business. That IP is much of what we see in Whistler scanning receivers.
    2. The TRX-2 was a better value for me as it included all the modes that interested me as well as the database updates.
    1. Uncertain. There are strong opinions about this but, I don't know that I have any experience with it. Not all areas have services with multicast radio systems. And, even if you are in a multicast area, your experience with it is likely going to be determined by your location and your configuration of the receiver.
  5. I love using both of my TRX-2 receivers, one in my vehicle and, one in my home.

ScubaJungle

From what I've heard, Whistler is more effective at decoding noisy/weak DMR signals.
While I don't have one - I do have a BCD436HP, and while it works fine - it is not great with weak/noisy digital signals. My $20 rtl-sdr blog v3 dongle blows it away in terms of that. For a decent strength signal, there's not much issue, although I do find that there are some issues with cap+ systems and missed transmissions.
If DMR isnt a concern for you, then this wouldnt matter anyway.

samcken

Premium Subscriber
I got a great deal on my TRX-2 through the Whistler scratch/dent page. It was my main scanner and I was very happy with it for everything I scanned except:

4. Simulcast. Most first responders in my area are jumping onto the new statewide system and the TRX-2 is more garble than not due to the simulcast in my area. I finally locked out that trunked system, it was too annoying/frustrating.

I was gifted a SDS200 ( I must live right) which has no simulcast issues (in my experience). YMMV

CycleSycho

:) Only three replies and it so far hasn't degraded into a quagmire of this or that and why. Did you think ppl would actually sway you, or is this another Whistler/Uniden point/counterpoint post? There is a whole lot of posting on these points already... :)

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
I agree with a lot of info post #3 said. I have not had any problems with simulcast. Has great sensitivity as far as a reutceiver. I also have a 536hp which receives great as well so it is a matter of choice as to which scanner to get. Having all 3 upgrades with purchase is a plus. I am sure that are some things that are negative, buy I can't think of any.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Last year I was trying to decide between several models and it came down to a TRX-1 and SDS-100. Unless I need that tri-color LED to be on 100% of the time that the squelch is open, I should have bought the SDS-100. I wrote an extensive review. Several items have since been fixed, but too many remain, which is why I recently bought the SDS.

visegrip72

I have a TRX-1, which is basically the same thing, just handheld. I do think my answers may be a bit bias.

• The biggest thing I like about the TRX line is that Whistler shares their API. This allows software developers to create their own software for the scanner. I really appreciate when companies do this. They also have updated the document over time. Another positive in showing they care.
  • The amount of information they send from the scanner to software - some of that info I have no clue what it means or does.
  • I too have the GRE PSR-500, and like that interface, had similar prior to that. There are some uses on the TRX that took a bit to get used to, but I am OK with most of the use style.
  • I also like having more than the 20 "banks" the PSR-500 had. The object oriented method is a shift, but it is sorta nice.
  • Ability to record audio, even though I don't use, it is nice to know it exists.
  • Support seemed fine to me, but maybe I didn't have reason for issues.

2. Simulcast issues I have where if I go mobile, the scanner is almost useless in some areas it breaks up so bad. Thankfully #4 below makes this acceptable.

3. Personal incentive for software development. History with similar PSR-500 and its software. Another thing actually is the support/community here. Most of the members in this group are great. There may well be and hopefully are just as great members in the other forum, but I do appreciate the members here and how helpful everyone tries to be. I do miss some of the stars of the forum who may have moved on, but there are still many that remain to keep the torch strong.

4. Totally location & system based issues. In my area in South Florida, where I live exactly, I have issues. I mainly use the scanner in a "desktop" mode, hooked up to my pc and use an external yagi I created. After creating the yagi antenna, it was a lot better, not sure if perfect, but totally more acceptable. When I go mobile, at the fringe area of my county's system, it works great - basically too far away for all but one broadcast, so pretty much not simulcast then. If not for the yagi working as well as it did, I'd only have the scanner for software support or listening to the non-local public service system. Simulcast here is that bad, at times I would just turn off the scanner and be annoyed. I really hate to say that as the scanner is nice, but location and the simulcast is just that annoying for me that I pretty much gave up listening till I made the yagi. Didn't want to shell out a bunch of cash for another scanner either.

The painfully long boot-up time. Although, that also could possibly be improved through some attention to my configuration.
Boot up time = use a smaller sized MicroSD. There's a thread somewhere on that. Switching from a 16g to 1-2g chip makes HUGE difference in speed. If you do not record audio, totally waste using bigger chip.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Thank you for the replies!

I can't find a SDS200 in stock, so that is why I been thinking about getting the TRX-2.

So I wanted to hear everyones opinions on it :)

To see if it is worth getting, or holding off a long while for the sds200 to get in stock.

My main reason for the TRX-2, would be DMR and Simulcast. I do like the removable head option too.

I do have another question: For recording, can I program it to program ONLY certain channels as it scans?
Say I scan 1-5, but want only 3 to record. And not the rest. That possible with the TRX-2? The sds200, records but does them all and not select channels. Hopefully the TRX-2 will record certain channels, and not them all :)

Let me know, Thanks!!!

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Try Hutch and Son in Evansville,In
New uniden seller a good place that I have known for many years.
Call Shane he can help. OR Josh.Or order online I confirmed they have 2 right now.

Thank you for the replies!

I can't find a SDS200 in stock, so that is why I been thinking about getting the TRX-2.

So I wanted to hear everyones opinions on it :)

To see if it is worth getting, or holding off a long while for the sds200 to get in stock.

My main reason for the TRX-2, would be DMR and Simulcast. I do like the removable head option too.

I do have another question: For recording, can I program it to program ONLY certain channels as it scans?
Say I scan 1-5, but want only 3 to record. And not the rest. That possible with the TRX-2? The sds200, records but does them all and not select channels. Hopefully the TRX-2 will record certain channels, and not them all :)

Let me know, Thanks!!!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

As long as you are not listening to a very busy system, the TRX-2 should work fine for DMR. As I believe others have already stated, the reason Whistler does not charge extra for DMR is because their scanners do not trunk-track DMR systems so they don't have to pay a licensing fee. Uniden, on the other hand, *does* pay the fee, so if you get the DMR upgrade the scanner can lock onto the control channel and follow the voice grants like it does on a P25 system. The Whistler scanners just scan the voice channels looking for traffic, which may work just fine for you.

On the other hand, if you are buying a TRX-2 to listen to a simulcast system, chances are very good that you will be disappointed. Sure, you may 'win the simulcast lottery' and be in a location where the signal from one tower is so much stronger than the signals from other towers that the effects of simulcast will be minimized and reception will be acceptable. Most people are not that lucky. The fact that Whistler at one time announced that they were developing a new line of scanners specifically designed to handle simulcast confirms that even they admit that the TRX-1/TRX-2 cannot do so.

The remote head IS cool if you are planning to put the scanner in a vehicle, and there are many people who wish Uniden scanners had that feature.

And before anyone asks, while I do not have a TRX-2 I will probably pick one up at some point since a lot of NDXN and DMR systems are being stood up locally and just scanning the voice channels will more than likely be satisfactory. I *do*, however, have a WS1095. Nice little scanner. If it worked on simulcast it would be perfect ... but it doesn't. Cannot even lock on the CC for the local P25 system, while my SDS200 works great on it.

baker50021

I have a WS-1088, TRX-1 and SDS100 and might add have been scanning since the 70's.
Everyone has pretty much covered the basics like simulcast issues, a couple of my thoughts:
Uniden has a few features that I love (1) the ability to hold on a system. (2) DND Priority setting (3) Close Call (4) The looks and flexibility of the display (5) Overall radio volume
Whistler has a few features that I also love (1) ability to update scanlists directly from radio reference (update Radio Reference if needed) (2) ability to export manually entered data to a CSV (3) Object oriented scanning
Since I never met a scanner that I didn't like, you be the judge...

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The TRX series have a problem wih LSM systems due to a defect in the alignment of the receiver components. There is a whole post on it.

Paul

gmclam

Premium Subscriber

Everything is on an SD card now. I can program in the entire USA. The tri-color LED makes it such that you can tell who you're hearing w/o looking at the display. But it also has the nice display like the PSR-310 & PSR-410.

2.Don't like?
EZ Scan lacks a lot of abilities. I worked with Whistler to get some new things added, but it still lacks. I want to be able to "share" programming with my other GRE brand radios, not have something "on an island". But the bigger problem is how poorly it handles reception of simulcast signals. I also found the audio output to be low on most conventional analog channels.

3.Why you bought the TRX-2 over the Uniden models?
Because I am a GRE-guy. I like the higher sensitivity and the user interface. When I was comparing the TRX with SDS from Uniden, the MSRPs were close. Unfortunately the value is not.

How is it on simulcast?
Horrible. I now own an SDS.

4. Etc....
I wrote a review last year on the TRX-1. Most of the points are still relevant.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
  • 4. How is it on simulcast?
If it's anything like the TRX-1, simulcast receive is pretty much non-existent. Even from within the coverage area. Then again my experience may differ from yours, it's a gamble. I sold my TRX-1 to help fund an SDS100. Though the SDS is mediocre on analog it's a champion with simulcast

DeDawg

Hi,

2. Don't like?
  5. Etc....
Likes: I found the scanlist easier to understand and enable from the menu (there may be other methods) that the (how do you recall them all) hit and miss keystrokes on a Uniden. Progarams easily with the supplied software.

Do not like: Very slow boot times, but as I recall, the Uniden equivalent was about the same. USB connection for software and hardware updates is terrible to get to work. At least, unlike Uniden, new firmware is not coming out twice a week.

Why bought: Had a Uniden 536 and found the P25 PII audio unitelligible and too harsh to try and learn to hear. Traded for the TRX-2 in hopes of better digital audio.

Simulcast: Live on an island with few P25 PII systems, none simulcast.

Other: Audio is still horrible on digital, but that is partly my degraded hearing. Just do not listen to polices much and avoid it.

rgchristy

Premium Subscriber
The features will not mean anything, if you can't listen to what you want to. I live outside of Philadelphia, PA. When trying to listen to their system, my BCD436hp works great, and my TRX-1 and PSR800 are dead. Please make sure that you can receive what you want to listen to, before deciding on features.

Status
Not open for further replies.