Your thread Viper mission critical vulnerabilities was deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Why was this deleted?
Who deleted it?
It was an attempt at reasoned discussion of vulnerabilities of the VIPER system.
Is someone afraid of discussing problems?
This is not going to give bad actors ideas, because it is already happening.
I only mentioned paranoia, because I din't want it to be dismissed out of hand.

Deleteing discussions of vulnerabilities Is not going to make then go away.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I deleted the thread at the request of the VIPER administrators, and I told you that.

There is no reason to fight me on this - I made an executive decision and we don't normally "censor" data but I did this as a courtesy request from the highest levels of that administration staff.

Don't fight me on this. Move along.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
This was the message that I sent to the VIPER staff... in the interest of full disclosure.

In the interest of saving us all a lot of time, I’ve removed the thread. However, that doesn’t prevent anyone from reposting the same thoughts.

Security by obscurity doesn’t work… and I’m not inclined to chase down any further stuff like this. I’d consider this just a courtesy, and I may not have the time nor inclination to address something like this again (read: this is borderline censorship regardless of the climate)

So, as I posted above. Don't fight me on this further... I'm warning you. Move on.

spacellamaman

In the interest of saving us all a lot of time, I’ve removed the thread. However, that doesn’t prevent anyone from reposting the same thoughts.

Security by obscurity doesn’t work… and I’m not inclined to chase down any further stuff like this. I’d consider this just a courtesy, and I may not have the time nor inclination to address something like this again (read: this is borderline censorship regardless of the climate)

I appreciate that you followed full disclosure to all parties here, VIPER admins and all of us RR folks. I am very opposed to censorship, however considering the topic matter (not having read the post however, unfortunately) I would have been irritated in general, but still understanding of the whole real-world situation requiring tricky decisions. its a position i am happy i am not in.

however reading the response to the VIPER admins, i have to say i have zero problems with the decision now. on balance i think that was the best possible response, in content and in tone. i feel transparency should be encouraged, supported and incentivized, and therefore i would like to contribute an " 'atta boy!".

and now i'm gonna see if i can track down a cached file/archived page to see what the thread actually said. musta been juicy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.