Yukon Mobile Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Just noticed that the Yukon appears to be migrating to P25. Did a quick Google search and appears this started back in 2009 and the info is just being submitted over 10 years later? I understand there are probably are not a lot of people up there with scanners Otherwise, looks interesting! I wonder about encryption. RCMP for sure.

Some reading here;

mciupa

I'm pretty sure there are people in the Western forum that have worked up that way and are familiar with this system.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I lived up there for a couple years.
100% RCMP are encrypted. There is not much info I can find on the system that replaced MDMRS. Appears to be a mix of analogue and digital from what I saw in the database. It appears that the new(MRS) system is now protected in TAFL. I believe it is still hosted and operated by Northwest Tel. Haven’t been back that way since before MDMRS was decommissioned.

Interesting. Just saw the trunk system in the database. This may be unrelated to the EFJ media release from 2009. Interesting to see both a VHF site and a 700MHz site in Whitehorse.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The RCMP repeater listed as P25 in the database under public safety for Whitehorse was analogue when I lived there. They had switched from GE MPD portables to Kenwood portables not long before I moved there.

Based on a photo posted by YARA, of one of their repeaters colocated at a NWTel site, out side of Whitehorse, the MRS is likely conventional. There is definitely not enough traffic to justify a full on trunk system in the territory. The only way I can see having a 6 channel trunk site in Whitehorse is if the City of Whitehorse(bylaw, public works, and the fire department), ATCO electric, and Yukon Electric Corporation and ALL YTG departments are users.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
The RCMP repeater listed as P25 in the database under public safety for Whitehorse was analogue when I lived there. They had switched from GE MPD portables to Kenwood portables not long before I moved there.

based on a photo posted by YARA, of one of their repeaters colocated at a NWTel site, out side of Whitehorse, the MRS is likely conventional. There is definitely not enough traffic to justify a full on trunk system in the territory. The only way I can see having a 6 channel trunk site in Whitehorse is if the City of Whitehorse(bylaw, public works, and the fire department), ATCO electric, and Yukon Electric Corporation and ALL YTG departments are users.

Interesting. Maybe the Mounties are the soul users of it similar to RCMP/RNC VHF out in Newfoundland and Labrador. And perhaps there is not talkgroup info because the Mounties are all ENC :confused:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Based on a photo posted by YARA, of one of their repeaters colocated at a NWTel site, outside of Whitehorse, the MRS is likely conventional. There is definitely not enough traffic to justify a full on trunk system in the territory. The only way I can see having a 6 channel trunk site in Whitehorse is if the city, RCMP, CBSA, CYXY, ATCO electric and Yukon Electric Corporation have all signed on to the system.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Interesting. Maybe the Mounties are the soul users of it similar to RCMP/RNC VHF out in Newfoundland and Labrador. And perhaps there is not talkgroup info because the Mounties are all ENC :confused:

Not a chance. There is absolutely no way the RCMP are the only user.

It’s a city of about 25,000. Absolutely no way in hell they generate enough traffic for a 6 channel trunk site.

I could see the need for 3 RF channels, IF that included their dispatch using radios tied into the consoles to dispatch for the entire territory AND the city of Whitehorse. The entire territory is less than 41,000 people.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Not a chance. There is absolutely no way the RCMP are the only user.

It’s a city of about 25,000. Absolutely no way in hell they generate enough traffic for a 6 channel trunk site.

I could see the need for 3 RF channels, IF that included their dispatch using radios tied into the consoles to dispatch for the entire territory AND the city of Whitehorse. The entire territory is less than 41,000 people.

Interesting point. We will have to be on the lookout for talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.