Yuma area scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertscan

Is there anyone scanning the Yuma area?
Can someone help me with Yuma area frequencies?
I programmed scanner ( RS Pro-197 ) for local news and most they say is Encrypted.
I'm too far from Yuma to find out on my own. any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

John

N5WMT

Premium Subscriber
John,
Look at the data base in RR. Rural Metro is pretty active on 154.325 but does use 800 some and is supposed to go there completely I have read. La Paz County on 154.40. SO, Yuma Fire are all encripted. BLM fire is on the air during fire season. Am un sure about DPS or highway department.

John

Phoenix805

Are you listening to the old analog frequencies or trying to listen to the new digital trunked system?
If you haven't already I'd put in a site or two near you and put in a wild card and see what happens. According to the RR data base it looks like PD is encrypted but fire is not. I haven't listened much (I'm in Phoenix) so I can't confirm that. I do have a local Phoenix site programmed in that carries some DPS and ADOT traffic. I think I was getting Yuma Sheriff but I think they went encrypted so I locked them out.

Yuma Regional Communications System, (YRCS) Trunking System, Yuma, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies New digital YRCS system)
Yuma County, Arizona (AZ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Old analog ffrequencies

desertscan

I did most all the programming that was on RR for Yuma.
Yuma (simulcast)
Yuma
Yuma county
APS
DPS
MCAS
BLM
I live in El Centro About an hour away and did the programming in EC and then the scanner was taken to Yuma. It's for local news.
As we all know RR does not always have all programming for each area. not sumitted = not posted
I'm hoping that there is someone that is/was in the area that has refined the scanning for the area.
I'm looking for anything that they can listen to to be informed on what is going on that is news worthy.

John

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I've been wondering the same about both Yuma and La Paz counties. From listening to the YRCS, I occasionally pick up some talkgroups off of the White Tanks and South Mtn sites, where the dispatcher is in the clear, but the mobile/portable units are encrypted. TG 205 for example, has a dispatcher talking to various Paul units, but those units are encrypted. And about the only thing the dispatcher ever says, is an acknowledgement of whatever the Paul unit said to the dispatcher, (Paul 26, 10-4) so I can't get a grasp on what agency this may be.
I want to take a road trip down to Yuma and/or out to Quartzsite one of these days, and just hang out for a couple of hours, listening to the various systems, conventional and trunked, and try to figure them out.
I don't think there are many, if any at all, scanner listeners in those two counties, that are also members here. So no one is submitting anything, unless someone makes a day trip to one of those counties, like I want to do.

Last edited:

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
Picking up the following down here in Tucson...

205 - Dispatcher in the clear, units are encrypted
508 - ??
510 - ??
511 - ??
1026 - Full time encryption
1030 - Full time encryption
1035 - YRCS/AZWIN techs
1109 - ADOT Enforcement
1121 - ADOT Tucson-1
1122 - ADOT Tucson, chat channel ?
2001 - Full time encryption
2002 - Full time encryption

Phoenix805

I've gotten a lot of hits in Phoenix off the North Mountain, South Mountain, White Tanks, Thompson Peak, and Towers Mountain sites. Of course a lot of that is DPS and ADOT traffic in the Phoenix area. I've only gotten Yuma PD and Yuma County once or twice, probably when someone was in the valley and used these sites to reach home.

I also have LOTS of 'unknow' talkgroup activity and I don't have a clue who they are. And a good majority of them are encrypted, so I lock them out and don't listen.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2354; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I heard 2001 one day about a month ago. I'm assuming it was an exercise, and they were in the clear. One comment I can recall was asking about how many body bags they had. Otherwise, outside of the DPS Metro Phoenix and ADOT/ALERT/Enforcement TG's for Phoenix, I have:
542 DPS Yuma
1000 Radio Techs A, now encrypted (Law Enforcement?)
1015 Encrypted
1016 Encrypted
1020 Radio Tech E/DPS CI A (Encrypted)
1021 DPS CI B (Encrypted)
1025 Encrypted
1026 Encrypted
1027 Encrypted
1028 Encrypted
1100 Once heard surveillance that sounded like it was related to a worker's compensation investigation; once heard an employee of a contract barricade/traffic control company talking to ADOT Phoenix TOC about a job being completed
1108 Once heard some car-to-car communications with very little radio discipline
1115 ADOT Yuma
1121 ADOT Tucson
And I've had a bunch of 200, 300 and a few 600 series talkgroups, either full encryption, or base clear/mobiles encrypted. I don't keep them in the programming though.
I do not recall hearing 1101 ADOT Landscape or 1103 ADOT Phoenix TOC, however.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Yuma FD PD Somerton FD, PD, San Luis Fire and Police Tri Valley Ambulance and WElton, and Tacna VFDs are ALL Encrypted Full Time. BLM Law just recently went to YRCS, as did LAPAz County SO.

Rural Metro is still on 154.325 for dispatch and east side (Foothills) fires and 154.400 (Ch-5) for West side fires. They have 4 staffed engines and 5 staffed ambulances.

BLM fire is on 173.825 however they only have one engine in Yuma.

Winterhaven Fire is dispatched on 154.430 along with all of the other Imperal county fire stations, and are on the RCS on County fire TG

As far as YRCS, most ops are encrypted but mutual aid TGs for Fire EMS nets are IN THE CLEAR.
When 2 FDs are on the fire or with RM,, they go to one of 5 tactical TGs that are in the clear.
There is a ALL call hailing TG in the clear. There is also a Air to ground for helicopter ops that is in the clear.

Airs is not used too much anymore here as most agenies are on the YRCS.
DPS and CHP are both on conventional and loud and clear in Yuma.

Both DOD bases are encrypted 380 P25 trunked systems however search the vhf air band, still lots to listen to.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this helps but yesterday 5/30. I copied traffic on TG 1115 which I have listed as DPS Yuma 1. However, the chatter did not sound like DPS.

KB7MIB

TG 1115 should be ADOT Yuma according to the database. TG 542 should be DPS District 4-Yuma according to the database. (They may patch from UHF about as often as DPS does with the Metro channels in Phoenix. Which is almost never the past several months now when I've been listening.)

E5911, you should submit the clear FD/EMS mutual-aid/tactical TG's and the air-ground TG for inclusion to the database, as well as update which TG's on the YRCS and any other trunked systems that are encrypted. There doesn't seem to be many people in Yuma or La Paz counties that are members here, so your info would be invaluable to anyone who makes a visit down there.

Last edited:

2wayfreq

YCSO:
I see Yuma County Sheriff listed in the DB on their old VHF channels. And, I don't see any YCSO TG on the YRCS. I'm sure they are probably encrypted though.

Border Patrol: Anyone have additional channels for the area besides 163.625 NAC 20C? Thanks

KB7MIB

There's an ArizonaFedCom group on Yahoo groups if you're interested specifically in federal stuff, such as the USBP.

There's also the general scanning interest ArizonaScanner group. I think there's more people on that group than there is here on the RR forums.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.