• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Zastone and other dpmr radio ambe+2c vocoder

Status
Not open for further replies.

princo

Hey guys,

I bought a pair of Zastone zt-9908 radios. For those of you not familiar with them, they are digital radios using the dpmr standard. I did a little digging (ok, a lot of digging) and found some dirt on the vocoder used. It uses a new flavor of vocoder developed by a few people from Tsinghua University. The vocoder is called ASELP. It is more specifically, Advanced Sinusoidal Excitation Linear Prediction.

This vocoder apparently outperforms the ambe+2 vocoder.

And for those of you interested, I have found the university research document with the vocoders' guts. I'm not sure if it is what can be used to create a decoder, but the algorithms are there.
And as far as I know, the vocoder ambe+2c (not the actual ambe+2) is actually just ASELP.

But hopefully, we can get some use out of this for something, so I'm attaching the pdf of the vocoder. *warning it is in Chinese.

Attachments

• aselp vocoder.pdf
    506.1 KB · Views: 1,875

princo

Anyone have the know-how to take a mathematical formula and turn it into useable software?

(Sorry for the self bump)

rescuecomm

How does the DPMR radios work? Have you used them in mixed mode? (Some FM channels and some digital). I was definitely interested about getting these for the church operations (with proper licensing of course).

Bob

princo

Well, they are an interesting breed of digital radio. They use a digital vocoder and a very narrow bandwidth (6.25khz)

The trouble I've been having is that unlike DMR (MotoTRBO) radios, the dPmr radios have several vocoders to choose from and that causes issues with interoperability. For example, DMR uses AMBE+2. But dPmr can use AMBE+2, ASELP, SELP, RALCWI and the chinese market the cheapest ones with AMBE+2c (Which in the limited testing I've done, it's just their clever name for ASELP)

There is little known about ASELP and what I posted above is about the only available information I've been able to find. I know who wrote it, but just like the guy who invented AMBE and IMBE and AMBE+2, they are keeping it a trade secret.

RALCWI is supposed to be an open standard and the vocoder chips are easily available from CML Microcircuits. And they are a great company. Providing samples and great support. But it's just less attractive than the plain old DVSI crap.

So, for your application, I would recommend just using some cheap baofeng radios and using them on MURS or GMRS.

But if you do go the dPmr route, stick to buying the same radio every time. And I'm not sure how much it would cost to get a license that fits that emission designator.

Or you could just get some cheap DMR radios and then you can have a channel for your church and even program it to work on the world-wide DMR-MARC network. the Zastone 9908 dPmr radios I have can do 32bit encryption and can selectively call one radio but not another, and you can even send short text messages between them. And the two radios cost me 193 bucks on amazon. So really it's about budget, compatibility and features.

I am however currently working on a cheap usb dongle that will act as a low power hotspot between the dpmr radios so you theoretically could be in one state and have an internet connected link to another. Or where ever you choose. I actually plan to use three stationary hotspot dongles, and a mobile one connected to a 4g modem in my car, that way I can use the radios across the state and not pay through the nose for a repeater system.

Let me know if you need anything specific answered. :)

rescuecomm

The business radio license was $460.00 for two channels about three years ago. That is with me doing the application and sending it to the MRFAC coordinator. I would prefer not to be on FRS/MURS freqs for various reasons. I'll keep the Zastones in mind when the time comes.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.