Zello help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fire1429

Trying to connect my uniden bcd436hp to a android phone on the zello app but can’t get the vox to work properly. It keeps picking up audio from around the room instead of the scanner. Can some one help

DC31

Feed Provider
Your issue is most likely the cable between the scanner and the phone. Scanner will have a mono output and the phone jack is stereo and a mic input also. You will need a TRRS plug to plug into the phone jack and some sort of adapter cable to get the audio from the scanner output to the two correct mic contacts on the trrs plug. Somewhere in the past forum posts there is one describing this better than I can. If I find it, I will update this.

found it.

Last edited:

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
I made that topic linked above. Never did get around to updating it with my results.

I ordered an audio cable with a male 3.5mm TRRS for the phone and and regular 3.5mm male for the scanner end and had no luck getting it to work. 🤷‍♂️

DC31

Feed Provider
I made that topic linked above. Never did get around to updating it with my results.

I ordered an audio cable with a male 3.5mm TRRS for the phone and and regular 3.5mm male for the scanner end and had no luck getting it to work. 🤷‍♂️
As I recall, I made mine work but I don’t remember the details now. I think there were two cables involved... maybe it was a splitter to get separate mic and audio jacks from the trrs, then a 3.5 mm cable from the scanner output to the mic input.

DC31

Feed Provider
This is what you are looking for:

Be very careful. Splitters that split the TRRS to Two HEADPHONES are very common. That won't work in your case. You need to split into a headphone jack and a mic jack. In the above link, note the two different color jacks. One has a mic symbol and one has a headphone symbol.

You may end up as I have with a drawer full of adapter cables the I THOUGHT were correct...

I made the Zello feed work the way that you are attempting but gave it up because the phone app kept crashing or something similar.

I now very successfully run a Zello feed using an SDR stick (rtl_airband) on a Raspberry pi3 and Zellostream.

aaknitt/zellostream: Python script to stream audio one ... - GitHubhttps://github.com › aaknitt › zellostream

If you are new to Linux, it can be a little challenging...

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Not sure if the phone app has an option to select its audio source but if your picking up sound from the phone mic it usually means the cable your plugging into your phone is not triggering the audio source to switch from the phone mic to the microphone connector as the source.
Generally speaking when you plug in headphones into a phone it causes the phone to by pass the mic and speakers of the phone and divert audio to the jack and what every you have plugged in

fire1429

Update I used a 3.5 male mic and audio cable from the scanner to the android phone and it worked. Just set settings on the phone to where the screen always stays on and used the vox function on the zello app and it’s been running now three days straight with out any problems.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Keep an eye on the phones battery.
In less that a year you will see swelling and it can become dangerous.
I used to run a phone repair shop and ran some spare nexus ( year ago) and samsung devices on world community grid and they ran all the time.. i had to replace batteries every 6-12 moths.

Status
Not open for further replies.