Zello ROIP

RadioGuy3007

Database Admin
Has anyone setup a zello feed using a ROIP (Radio Over IP) gateway for streaming a radio channel? I was looking at doing it with a rasberry pi but decided not to. The radio does have a 3.5 jack out on it for audio.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Not for that, but I am running one on a GMRS repeater. I wouldn't advise against using the cheaper ROIP-1 ( white) unit. It injects an annoying high pitch tone, and its kinda buggy with its VOX and its easily swamped by local RF of any kind.

Thorndike113

Does anyone know how to do Zello over a raspberry pi hotspot that is currently being used for DMR? I find that DMR on Ham Radio is dead and I want to put the thing to better use. I am currently running a Boomerang mini pi-star.

The reason I ask is that the pi-star is already setup with a radio in it, and it seems as though it would be pretty simple to just flash the Zello stuff to an SD card and plug it in and start talking.

a417

The reason I ask is that the pi-star is already setup with a radio in it, and it seems as though it would be pretty simple to just flash the Zello stuff to an SD card and plug it in and start talking.
If you already have a working raspi running raspian, you can install WINE, the Zello, and use it that way. YMMV.

DC31

Feed Provider
Does anyone know how to do Zello over a raspberry pi hotspot that is currently being used for DMR? I find that DMR on Ham Radio is dead and I want to put the thing to better use. I am currently running a Boomerang mini pi-star.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Not for that, but I am running one on a GMRS repeater. I wouldn't advise against using the cheaper ROIP-1 ( white) unit. It injects an annoying high pitch tone, and its kinda buggy with its VOX and its easily swamped by local RF of any kind.
Can you expand on how you're doing this? I'm wanting to do some experimenting. Maybe add in the ability to do talk/listen over Zello so I can use my Zello app as a remote.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Zello on PC - ROIP-1 box , then it’s being fed into a HT mic/audio Jack , which transmits to repeater.
Haven’t had time to see if the roip interface could be fed into the RICK controller yet. Kinda lost interest. May pick up some time in the future

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Trying out something with a deactivated Android phone. USB-C adapter that has a 3.5mm TRRS and USB charging port, then the B-Tech APRS-K1 cable to go from the TRRS to BF radio in my case a DM-1701. Set up for Vox on both devices. We'll see.

a417

older kenwood mobile radio filtered audio out --> mic in on stripped down thin client running headless, which is running WINE (on debian) with older Zello PC program using VOX. PC output to a old used RIGBlaster to accessory port mic in on radio for transmit.

proof of concept, uglier than hell, but it works.

gwsteel62

Premium Subscriber
Trying out something with a deactivated Android phone. USB-C adapter that has a 3.5mm TRRS and USB charging port, then the B-Tech APRS-K1 cable to go from the TRRS to BF radio in my case a DM-1701. Set up for Vox on both devices. We'll see.
Please let us know how this works out. I just received my BTECH APRS-K1 cable yesterday and I'm about to attempt a very similar project with an old android phone and a BF unit.

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
Please let us know how this works out. I just received my BTECH APRS-K1 cable yesterday and I'm about to attempt a very similar project with an old android phone and a BF unit.
It wasn't too bad. It definitely had a lot of tweaking to perform, setting speaker and mic volumes, setting the app to auto-start, run in the background, disable some of the alert tones, etc. The cable/adapter I got for the phone seems to not let the audio work while the phones charging although some people have commented that using it as a headphone adapter while charging worked ok. That may be just my phone being quirky or maybe not getting the sequence of opening apps doing the connections in the right sequence. I found that if I ever changed the channel on my BF radio that I had to re-enable VOX. I found the radio volume had to be kinda high. Overall it wasn't a bad setup. If the phone could stay charging and get 2-way audio then I'd say it was a nice cheap setup.

DuaneN

Zello on PC - ROIP-1 box , then it’s being fed into a HT mic/audio Jack , which transmits to repeater.
Haven’t had time to see if the roip interface could be fed into the RICK controller yet. Kinda lost interest. May pick up some time in the future
Would be great if you could lead me in the right direction. I'm also trying to see if the ROIP interface could work with the RICK accessory port on the controller.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Would be great if you could lead me in the right direction. I'm also trying to see if the ROIP interface could work with the RICK accessory port on the controller.
I haven’t touched the project in about 6 months. Been messing around with Allstar/ hamvoip and playing with linking that way.

DuaneN

I haven’t touched the project in about 6 months. Been messing around with Allstar/ hamvoip and playing with linking that way.
I'm going to give it a shot as soon as I get the RICK up and running.

Thanks!

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
I’ve never found confirmation in any RICK manuals, but I believe the accy port mirrors one of the ports. Which one, I can’t answer. So, I’m not sure you will get bi directional audio

DuaneN

Thanks. I'll look into this. There..might be a way in software. We'll see.

Thankd.

IU0LFT

20230908_104320.jpg

I used this device for a while, connected to a Motorola DM4601 on one side and Zello on the other, I could use Zello to transmit and receive on air... in parallel with other radios.
If I remember correctly, inside there is a USB-RS232 converter and a circuit to emulate the PTT.
The problem is that it needs a PC constantly running, since it requires audio in and out from sound card
Giuseppe