Zenith 1000D battery pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypeZero

I recently bought a Zenith 1000D at an auction. I've lurked at this place long enough to know that I'm pretty much required to take and post pictures, so here you go:

Zenith 1000D pictures by a6mTypeZero - Photobucket

Anyway, I thought all it needed was batteries, until I opened the battery pack. Apparently, someone who owned it before I did stored it with batteries, which then leaked and caused the damage to the inside of the pack that you see. I guess what I'd like to know is: What are my options? I found these two sites

Zenith Trans-Oceanic Vintage Battery
Transoceanic Radio Battery - Brand new!

but I just don't know about buying something that's aftermarket and that takes different batteries. I thought it might be cheaper to rip out the guts of the battery pack and replace everything, but I don't even know what parts to look for to do that or even if I had the relevant skills to do it, though I think if one of the better Radio Shacks had the right parts, I could probably get by with good directions on what to do.

Do any of you guys have experience with the two products in the above links? Is ripping out and replacing everything inside the battery pack a job that mere mortals can attempt? Should I decide to sell the radio later, will any of the above hurt the value of the radio? Am I missing any angles here? Any help or guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

Dorpmuller

The two links you posted are for the tube Transoceanics. Yours is solid state and takes 9 D cells, 8 for the radio and one for the dial lamp. You could rebuild the battery box (big bucks on greedbay if you can find one) with springs from a battery holder in your junkbox.

Additionally, you'd need to replace all the electrolytics in the radio-these are 50 years old now. And every Royal 1000 I've done needs an alignment with a signal generator.

Here's the place to go for some real help: Antique Radio Forums :: Index . Excellent group with hundreds of years combined restoration experience.

If you decide you don't want to take it on, I'll take the radio if you decide to sell it. :cool:

Rich

TypeZero

The two links you posted are for the tube Transoceanics. Yours is solid state and takes 9 D cells, 8 for the radio and one for the dial lamp. You could rebuild the battery box (big bucks on greedbay if you can find one) with springs from a battery holder in your junkbox.

Additionally, you'd need to replace all the electrolytics in the radio-these are 50 years old now. And every Royal 1000 I've done needs an alignment with a signal generator.

Here's the place to go for some real help: Antique Radio Forums :: Index . Excellent group with hundreds of years combined restoration experience.

If you decide you don't want to take it on, I'll take the radio if you decide to sell it. :cool:

Rich

Thanks for the tip about those links. I'm really new to this stuff (The extent of my radio fixing experience is buying an external antenna for a "yard sale special" and plugging it in), so I'm glad I didn't plunk down the money on one of those boxes now. Also, good catch on the electrolytics. That should be common sense, but I didn't even thing about it. That's another reason I came here first.

I've also determined that the dial doesn't move the slide anymore (It acts like it wants to move, but doesn't), so I can't change stations. I have no idea what it will take to get to the dial cord drive, but it looks like I might need a fourth dimensional screwdriver.

I'll check out your link this evening, when I have more time, but for right now, I think I should sit on this thing until I've acquired more knowledge/skills. I'd hate to mess in up in the course of fixing it. If nothing else, I've got a nice conversation piece.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.