Zenith Transoceanic 1000-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbigkilla

I got one of these from my Dad, installed some batteries and presto, good to go. I've gone through the bands several times trying to pick up something and have found I can't pick much up. Antenna is in great shape, but I'm just not sure if these bands aren't used anymore or I just have something wrong with my radio. Also I am in the right forum correct? Thanks anybody for your help.

Shortwavewave

I beleive that was the fisrt transistor radio zenith made.

try using an extranal antenna if it has a jack for it, if not use an alagator clip on the whip and some random longwire(or just wrap the wire around the antenna)

Are you picking up local AM stations?

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Try after dark or as the sun is rising. Try between 5900-6200mhz at night and if you want to try during the day look at roughly 11000-14000.

Sounds like it may need some work tho. But let us know if this help!

ridgescan

Probably the contacts in the band tumbler have a glaze on them-gently but with purpose, work the selector back and forth and see if that gives you better contact in each band:) That's a COOL piece of radio history! I have the Zenith Royal 3000-1 from 1959. It has qiurks but performs beautifully! Do you know what year yours is from? 73s

ridgescan

Also, the back of the case is accessible-open it up and locate the antenna terminals-see if the white wire from the 'waverod' antenna is connected or not.

mrbigkilla

Well everybody, tried out the radio again tonight and got some stuff, maybe 1-2 per spectrum, very faint but legible. Is this normal or do you pick up quite a bit of stuff? I really enjoy it and want to get it working good just not to sure what is what and don't want to ruin anything inside. Any more info would be useful. Thanks again all, and as for what year its from I guessing around 1964-65 as I still have a booklet from the original owner documenting stations he picked up, spectrum, station and time.

ridgescan

Well everybody, tried out the radio again tonight and got some stuff, maybe 1-2 per spectrum, very faint but legible. Is this normal or do you pick up quite a bit of stuff? I really enjoy it and want to get it working good just not to sure what is what and don't want to ruin anything inside. Any more info would be useful. Thanks again all, and as for what year its from I guessing around 1964-65 as I still have a booklet from the original owner documenting stations he picked up, spectrum, station and time.
Start with this: what state are you in? Are you in a 'hole' like a valley or surrounded by mountain ranges? Do this test- extend the antenna all the way out, turn on the radio to SW band, then touch the end of the antenna. Does the static get 'louder' when you touch it? If so then we have a connected antenna. If all you can get is a few weaky sigs then we have to go outside with an antenna. If you wish, try this to increase your antenna power: get a METAL tape measure and secure the end of it to the antenna, then extend out the tape measure across the room in an east/west fashion, then start tuning and see if your stations have increased. In the morning clusters of stations are operating around from 8-12MHZ....in the evening, the cluster of stations would be operating around from 5-8MHZ. These are generalized to get you in the ballpark:) Have fun and come back with any findings!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

One thing to keep in mind is that we're at the low point of the sunspot cycle right now, so it might be kind of difficult to catch stuff, especially during the summer when atmospheric noise is at it's highest, and with an older, less sensitive receiver to boot.

Try listening between 7100 and 7300 kHz and around 5500 kHz in the evenings; that will likely be your best chance at catching stations as atmostpheric noise is lower at night, and the SW broadcasters seem to pop up more during those hours.

That being said, I have an old Transoceanic H-500 (tube-type) which still performs quite well when conditions are right, so don't discount the older receivers; it just takes a bit more effort to find the stations.

mrbigkilla

Ok, so what type of stuff does everybody usually pick up? From what I've found, alot of talk radio, fair amount of spanish channels and the normal AM. I remember being younger and using this and getting all sorts of cool stuff, am I just old now and don't appreciate it as much. Thanks again everybody for all your help.

ridgescan

Ok, so what type of stuff does everybody usually pick up? From what I've found, alot of talk radio, fair amount of spanish channels and the normal AM. I remember being younger and using this and getting all sorts of cool stuff, am I just old now and don't appreciate it as much. Thanks again everybody for all your help.
You try what I suggested above with the antenna?? There's all kinds of stuff on SW but I would like to establish that we have a fully functioning radio:)

trixwagen

I'm a big fan of the insane propaganda of Radio Habana Cuba. 6000 kHz if you are keeping score. Ok, not a big fan.

I also try to find the pirates on 6925 kHz.

Used to listen to BBC until they pulled the plug on North America seven years ago.

Did I mention that shortwave is dead?

mrbigkilla

Well I tried it out this morning around 5:45am and WOW did I pick up a bunch of stuff!! I was headed to work so I didn't have a lot of time but realized that the radio obviously works. So any other info on this post would be appreciated. Also does anyone have any parts for this radio? I'm looking for the cover that goes on the dial for changing the station. Thanks a ton and appreciate everybody's help!!

ke5ldo

Yahoo has a user group you might try: the transoceanic fanatics. go to yahoo and search for this one. TONS of information.

trixwagen

Alright, perhaps my eulogy was a little premature, but the golden age of shortwave is definately behind us.

I'll add: SUVs are dead.

Same disclaimer as shortwave.

No its not, its the primary sorce of radio in other countries, yes we have a few repeaters from other places, but it sure aint dead, and wont be for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.