ZeroMatic and dwell Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cbman417

Does the slope, threshold and delay, have anything to do with p25? Like gargled sounds or high or low tones and voices? Thank you Im on the Moswin 700mhz talkgroups.

On Whistler ws1080, what should the Dwell setting be? For best quality of audio on 700xxxmhz.

Ubbe

Zeromatic are only used while doing searches, not scanning or monitoring trunked systems. It is ment to make a search stop on the middle of a frequencys carrier and not some KHz offset, which could happen if it is strong enough.

/Ubbe

Cbman417

Does the slope, threshold and delay, have anything to do with p25? Like gargled sounds or high or low tones and voices? Thank you Im on the Moswin 700mhz talkgroups.
What should the Dwell settings be on p25 system? Mine is on default, auto. Thank you

tvengr

Well Known Member
On Whistler ws1080, what should the Dwell setting be? For best quality of audio on 700xxxmhz.
For any system being entered manually, under Site Options, Trunking Tables must be set to Auto Fill for any system with 700 MHz frequencies. For garbled audio from simulcast distortion, turn off digital AGC. The AGC action can amplify audio problems.

Last edited:

Cbman417

For any system being entered manually, under Site Options, Trunking Tables must be set to Auto Fill for any system with 700 MHz frequencies. For garbled audio from simulcast distortion, turn off digital AGC. The AGC action can amplify audio problems.
So on ezscan for 700mhz,suppose to be on auto fiil? This is for Moswin. And agc off for audio problem? Thank you sir.

Cbman417

tvengr

Well Known Member
The dwell time is how long you will stay on the same system while scanning. Delay is how long you will remain on a frequency or talkgroup after the transmission is completed.

Ubbe

So if i have alot of channels in a scan list should I leave it on auto? Because I sometimes only hear dispatch and miss car or other way around. Thank you.
If you let the scanner wait longer for someone to respond you probably will hear both sides of a conversation. You do that by increasing the delay time for the talk group.

Most users in the systems I monitor seems to think before they talk so there's a 3-5 sec delay until they transmit, so I have 5-10sec delay on my talk groups. Longer delay times just makes it take longer until you hear another TG being active after the first when have closed down. Use a too short delay time and you often hear only a one sided conversation that makes it hard to understand what's going on.

/Ubbe

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The dwell time is how long you will stay on the same system while scanning. Delay is how long you will remain on a frequency or talkgroup after the transmission is completed.
My understanding of the Dwell time from the PSR-500 and 600 days is that it is the amount of time the radio sits on and decodes the control channel data for a site.
A site with a lot of CC data could take well over 1 second to scroll through a complete data cycle before repeating so you would want the dwell time set to however long it takes a given CC to start repeating data.

Another user here did some tests on the Moswin statewide system here when it was still a fairly new system and found a complete cycle of CC data was under 600 milliseconds so we could set our dwell times for 0.6 seconds and be assured we did not miss any CC data per scan cycle of the system.
This setting should be the same as the site hold time used by Uniden models although Uniden's do not allow fine tuning values less than one second intervals.

Cbman417

My understanding of the Dwell time from the PSR-500 and 600 days is that it is the amount of time the radio sits on and decodes the control channel data for a site.
A site with a lot of CC data could take well over 1 second to scroll through a complete data cycle before repeating so you would want the dwell time set to however long it takes a given CC to start repeating data.

Another user here did some tests on the Moswin statewide system here when it was still a fairly new system and found a complete cycle of CC data was under 600 milliseconds so we could set our dwell times for 0.6 seconds and be assured we did not miss any CC data per scan cycle of the system.
This setting should be the same as the site hold time used by Uniden models although Uniden's do not allow fine tuning values less than one second intervals.
Im using a ws1080 so .6 is a good dwell setting for Moswin? And turn AGC off?

eyes00only

Laying in bed this morning I realized that was the obvious answer....... DAH, however I would say Delay is how long after the transmission is received.

Cbman417

Laying in bed this morning I realized that was the obvious answer....... DAH, however I would say Delay is how long after the transmission is received.
O know at delay, I need to known about Dwell setting for p25 system mine is the Moswin 700xxxx mhz.

If i put .6 in for the dwell on the unit what should the data Decode thresholds be on the trunked radio system on the ezscan, Low: High:?

talkpair

Here's a post I made a few years ago after testing the dwell setting on VHF-Moswin P25:

kd5hiy

Evening everyone. Do either of these settings, dwell or delay, have anything to do with the receiver cutting out while receiving a signal, and the FM flashing on the screen very quickly on the TRX-1. Driving me crazy.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Evening everyone. Do either of these settings, dwell or delay, have anything to do with the receiver cutting out while receiving a signal, and the FM flashing on the screen very quickly on the TRX-1. Driving me crazy.
You may be suffering from simulcast distortion if you are monitoring this system:
As talkpair noted, priorities will cause transmissions to drop out at regular intervals.
If it is not a priority problem, try setting the squelch to minimum and turning on the attenuator. Also, many of the PD talkgroups are encrypted and cannot be received. What conventional frequencies or trunked systems are you having problems with?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.