• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Zetron 4010 and Kenwood NX5700

rockinromac1

Feed Provider
Hey Everyone,

We recently had 2 of our CPI Boxes fail for our Dispatch. Was wondering if anyone has tried hooking up a Zetron 4010 to a Kenwood NX5700 or if that is even possible, and if it is possible what I will need to get it working.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

kb4mdz

Wow, no response yet.

Well, (if I remember correctly) a 4010 can use local keying if you program that slot for local instead of tone or DC. RX Audio, TX Audio, Gnd, PTT signal (relay contact out of the 4010, again, if I remember correctly, and a Valid RX signal, COR or whatever.

I don't have any more Zetron documentation, but keep asking around.

Or, dig up some replacement CPI's via e-B*y..

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
You could give a bit more info. Is the radio local to the console ? If so going local control is the easiest. Really only need the PTT line from the console if your already using 4W. If its remote just order a new TRA and hook it up.

rockinromac1

Feed Provider
You could give a bit more info. Is the radio local to the console ? If so going local control is the easiest. Really only need the PTT line from the console if your already using 4W. If its remote just order a new TRA and hook it up.
Not sure what you mean by local, if you mean near the console, yes it is, ill most likely be mounting it to the desk under the console if I can get this to work. I'm new to this consoles stuff, the person who installed all of this passed away last year so i'm playing catch up. How do I tell if we are using 4 Wire? And how do I go about hooking all of this up? I really appreciate any help! As for ordering new CPI Panels, we just installed new repeaters, Tait TB9400's which I believe do not support tone. If im wrong about that please let me know as well as that would make this way easier. Let me know with any other questions or if I wasn't clear with anything.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
If you do not have the ability to reprogram the 4010 for local control then thats not an option. Im suprised at 2 CPI remote panels dying at the same time unless it was storm related.
it might be you could call Phil at CPI- I think he said they could do some repairs even though the business was closed.
or- as someone else mentioned- buying another brand remote controller.

rockinromac1

Feed Provider
If you do not have the ability to reprogram the 4010 for local control then thats not an option. Im suprised at 2 CPI remote panels dying at the same time unless it was storm related.
it might be you could call Phil at CPI- I think he said they could do some repairs even though the business was closed.
or- as someone else mentioned- buying another brand remote controller.
I do have the ability to reprogram it. We were going to be moving away from tone control anyway so I'd prefer to setup local control.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
Ok so thats good- but you still need the pin out for the local connections on the punchblock. And then your will need to be able to program the NX-5700 for remote PTT as well as the DB-25 pinout for it for audio in and out and maybe TOR/COR. You said the radio would be close to the 4010- so no worries on distance issues.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Moving away from tone control to what?

Local control is sometimes referred to as E&M (ear and mouth) and is RX audio, TX audio, PTT and COR. EIA Tone control is a set of standard which use audio tones to signal various functions. Here is an excerp from Codan's P25 Training guide which can be found at https://cdn.codancomms.com/general-...des/Codan_TG-001-4-0-0-P25-Training-Guide.pdf on pages 66 and 67.
WIXCpvt.png

VEsnj5W.png

As you can see there are various functions. Tone remote is typically done in one of two ways...two wire (half duplex) or four wire (full duplex). It's old school telephone technology (but very reliable). For the most part, 4 wire (two pair) is what you see in use today as it lets you hear audio from the radio such as permit/busy tones as two wire was really only popular as it was cheapest to order up a dry pair from the phone company for remote dispatching back in the day and now you can't even order that circuit.

Anyway, the CPI model number tells you whether the TRA is two wire or four wire. Tone remote is good for in building stuff where you may need more than 100 feet of cable to interface between the console and radio (1000 feet is easy for a tone remote setup).

FireMarshalRob

Feed Provider
Not sure what you mean by local, if you mean near the console, yes it is, ill most likely be mounting it to the desk under the console if I can get this to work. I'm new to this consoles stuff, the person who installed all of this passed away last year so i'm playing catch up. How do I tell if we are using 4 Wire? And how do I go about hooking all of this up? I really appreciate any help! As for ordering new CPI Panels, we just installed new repeaters, Tait TB9400's which I believe do not support tone. If im wrong about that please let me know as well as that would make this way easier. Let me know with any other questions or if I wasn't clear with anything.
As of right now the 9400 support only 4 wire e & m unless you have a 9100 console gateway. The 4010 will do local control e & m so it can be a direct connection.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
Yes, you can interface an NX-5700 to a Zetron 4010 using local control. I have 6 interfaced to a 4010 desktop. You need to reprogram the cardslot on the 4010 for E&M/Local control. You need to connect pins to the back of the NX5700 for PTT control, TX and RX in/out (audio) and COR/TOR in/out. You will also have to program the NX-5700 to send the right info to the right pin.

You need to run your cable from those to the appropriate connections on your 66 block pin for pin. You will have to adjust your audio pots for the card as the audio. Depending on who set up the console initially, you may need to run a ground line from the NX5700 to the analog ground on the 66 block.