• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Zetron 4010

Status
Not open for further replies.

AUGOLD

Anyone out there who has programmed one? I had one donated to our 501(c)3 for our VHF radio system

PACNWDude

Yes. they use their own software and cable, which was about $125 a few years back. Then it is just setting the strapping on cards, with the appropriate cards for what is being connected, radios or telephone. One of Zetron's better products. Came in desktop and rack mounted versions.

AUGOLD

I called my local Zetron dealer Zetron and was advised Zetron no longer offers the cable or software and the shop doesn't mess with any, not in service and they had one that will be decommissioned in a month.

12dbsinad

I called my local Zetron dealer Zetron and was advised Zetron no longer offers the cable or software and the shop doesn't mess with any, not in service and they had one that will be decommissioned in a month.
That's a bunch of BS. Zetron still supports 4000 series. Do you know how many 4000 series systems are still out there? As a matte of fact, I just got an updated email about increased pricing. The 4000 is still listed (although it went up substantially). It's listed under "special services" for legacy equipment. You can even still buy parts for it.

They just don't want to bother with it and all focus is on the MAX systems now.

PACNWDude

+1 on the 4010 still being supported. Still on the Zetron website. Another thing to note, the 4010 was made for a very long time, and comes in a DOS and windows XP version. So, programming that 4010 will require the programming cable and the appropriate software for your version. It will be DOS if older and XP if newer. You will have to contact Zetron, not some reseller, to determine which version you have or if it was upgraded at some point with a new XP supported chipset.

sfd745

Reverend Higgy
Database Admin
The 4010 series console requires a DOS software package for firmware 1.60 and lower. Each firmware upgrade had its own software package, however 1.6 will work with all previous versions. Firmware over 1.62 is windows based and there is several versions of that as well. I do not recall what the latest version is. You can upgrade the firmware by swapping the firmware chip on the base board, however that is usually $400 per chip.

The cables are really easy to make in house, but you can buy them direct from Zetron for about $150 if memory serves me.

The schematics and related documentation is freely available online. They are straight forward consoles, but you need to know what you have to have a good base knowledge of pinouts, connectors, cabling, audio levels and tuning.

AUGOLD

That's a bunch of BS. Zetron still supports 4000 series. Do you know how many 4000 series systems are still out there? As a matte of fact, I just got an updated email about increased pricing. The 4000 is still listed (although it went up substantially). It's listed under "special services" for legacy equipment. You can even still buy parts for it.

They just don't want to bother with it and all focus is on the MAX systems now.
The shop in my area said they would not mess with one would not service one and offered zero help, and all but one of their customers had one in service and would be taken out within a month. The rep did not mention calling Zetron direct I guess because it would take money from their pockets. Only repeating what the shop told me. I do have a good relationship with another shop, a Motorola dealer and service shop, I need a Moto SmartRIB and he called all of their shops trying to find one for me to give me as they have no use for them because they don't touch legacy Moto radios, my luck none of the 5 shops still had one around and I can't find one, one sold on eBay a while back and I hope I can catch another on there I still have another Moto shop I've dealt with and my stepfather signed a 90k maintenance contract plus spending 3.8 million with them building his PD's Type 2 SmartZone trunking system years ago with them every year until he retired, they have helped me out in pinch before.

Status
Not open for further replies.