Zip 11735 and the NY data base

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The ny data base has a zip-code search. When using this site or m.radioreference.com, the zip 11735, only reflects Nassau county. This is incorrect. 11735 covers the following.
Farmingdale (Nassau county)
Farmingdale village (Nassau county)
South Farmingdale (Nassau county)
East Farmingdale (Suffolk County)

The problem is that nothing registered to the Suffolk county side shows in the data base quick jump section. Or the fact that 11735 covers 2 different counties. Things like East Farmingdale fire dept, East Farmingdale Water Suny Farmingdale and all the other businesses that reside in East Farmingdale (Suffolk County) do not show up..

Are you aware of this and is there a fix?

Also, Why is East Farmingdale Volunteer Fire listed under 2 different headings? Local Fire/EMS and Other Fire/EMS. 482.9000 is listed in both sections. Is there a fix for this as well?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Also, Why is East Farmingdale Volunteer Fire listed under 2 different headings? Local Fire/EMS and Other Fire/EMS. 482.9000 is listed in both sections. Is there a fix for this as well?

The "fix" for that would've been to submit a correction to the Suffolk County page, but I've taken care of it already. I'll have a look at the rest of the frequencies to make sure there are no other duplicates on the page when I get a chance.

Lindsay will have to take a look at the other issue of the zip code spanning both counties.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I see something was done with only 1 of the east Farmingdale fire freqs. Please combine all east Farmingdale entries into either one of the two headings. There is still east Farmingdale under both. They should be grouped together.

As far as Lindsay, let him know that the zip 11735 is the only zip on long island that covers 2 different counties.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
As I said, I will work on the rest of the entries in those categories when I get a chance.

In the future, please notify us of any corrections to the database using the submit function, rather than posting them in the forum.

Submit Data to RadioReference

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
In the future, please notify us of any corrections to the database using the submit function, rather than posting them in the forum.

I have done that multiple times in the past and my many requests to combine all of the east farm fd went unanswered. Found that submit feature useless. I pm'ed 2 different ny data admins back then and again, nothing was done. Not sure if they understood or not. I, am from this area and know this area. I know some admins are not familiar with some areas and will tend to leave stuff alone. This is not the way this site should be, with stuff scattered and out of order...

My issue back then was East farm fire was listed under "other fire/ems" when it belongs in "local fire/ems", with all the other fire departments/fire districts. The section "other fire/ems" is 95% ambulance companys. The other 5% is the 6 fire department entries listed below that do not belong in the ambulance section...

471.12500 cold spring fire department
478.17500 commack fire-amb
453.16250 East Farmingdale Crossband Repeater
483.80000 East Farmingdale Fire Dispatch
45.32000 East Farmingdale Volunteer Fire Company
46.30000 North Lindenhurst Volunteer Fire Company

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I took a look at your prior submissions, and I will do what I can to clean up both counties. Be patient, I was not around 2 years ago when you made those submissions.

ipfd320

Banned
i also had the same problems...but it wouldnt let me in to the submissions page--This was for Nassau County---ISLAND PK fire dept add to the list

465.1000 as fireground-pl is 100.0--2 watt
465.3250 as administrative-pl not known--2 watt
460.4250 unknown use--pl not known--25 watt---input is 465.4250

if this could be updated it would be appreciated

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I took a look at your prior submissions, and I will do what I can to clean up both counties.

I'm not sure if your confused or not when you say "clean up both counties". The zip code thing is 1 issue and the grouping the fire departments in Suffolk county is the other issue. Take your time and if you need any assistance or have any questions, please feel free to pm me.

Be patient, I was not around 2 years ago when you made those submissions.

Its all good, its not your fault and I know this. I left RR.com for a few years and now that I am back its almost perfect. I should have applied for a db admin job back then. I dont think any of the db admins at the time were from or familiar with Long Island...

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
i also had the same problems...but it wouldnt let me in to the submissions page--This was for Nassau County---ISLAND PK fire dept add to the list

Wow and I thought the Suffolk fire dept page was bad.. There are fire districts, fire company's and fire departments all over the place. All fire department, districts and company's should all fall under fire. First aid and vollie ambulance should all be under other fire/ems. I also don't see wantagh levittown voille ambulance listed there anywhere.. Who ever is labeling these fire departments has not got a clue about organization skills

And on the suffolk page it says "Some Suffolk County FD's operate on this TRS". Yet there are no fire departments listed in the suffolk trs...

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I'm not sure if your confused or not when you say "clean up both counties". The zip code thing is 1 issue and the grouping the fire departments in Suffolk county is the other issue.

I'm not confused in the least. I've already reported the zip code issue to Lindsay (although I'm not sure if the DB allows a zip to span multiple counties). My point is that both counties, Nassau and Suffolk, suffer from the same poor organization of the local Fire/EMS frequencies. I reorganized the entire state a few weeks ago, but left those categories on the island as-is for the time being until I had time to go through them in depth.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

I just tested the submit function for Nassau and it's working just fine. Please try this link, copy and paste that info and I'll get it added for you.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I have done that multiple times in the past and my many requests to combine all of the east farm fd went unanswered. Found that submit feature useless. I pm'ed 2 different ny data admins back then and again, nothing was done. Not sure if they understood or not. I, am from this area and know this area. I know some admins are not familiar with some areas and will tend to leave stuff alone. This is not the way this site should be, with stuff scattered and out of order...

My issue back then was East farm fire was listed under "other fire/ems" when it belongs in "local fire/ems", with all the other fire departments/fire districts. The section "other fire/ems" is 95% ambulance companys. The other 5% is the 6 fire department entries listed below that do not belong in the ambulance section...

Dave,
I have the opposite thought. The submissions I work, I usually queue and put in my own scanners to see if there is a positive hit. I guess you can say I give it one last check just to make sure the information being added to the database is valid and current. I never understood how someone across the country could validate the submitted data. If I was unable to verify with my own scanner if the info was correct, I would reach out to the submitter to question them on the frequency or change. Some people just like to add new or pending fcc frequencies in for submission and that isn't the way it works.

Also - when I stepped up, it must have been after you submitted information for approval, or you would have heard from me.

Finally - I never agreed with the way Nassau and Suffolk were aligned. I brought this up when I was first "upgraded" to a db admin, and I was told that the info was in there correctly. So, I left it alone. I irks me how it is setup with towns / districts. I would be much easier to read the way I have my own personal lists setup IMHO, but I guess everyone has their own opinion.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I never understood how someone across the country could validate the submitted data.

That was the big problem and never made any sense..

Finally - I never agreed with the way Nassau and Suffolk were aligned. I brought this up when I was first "upgraded" to a db admin, and I was told that the info was in there correctly. So, I left it alone.

And I would bet that that admin was not from Long Island..

I irks me how it is setup with towns / districts. I would be much easier to read the way I have my own personal lists setup IMHO, but I guess everyone has their own opinion.

The Suffolk page is pretty good. There are a few fd's in the ems section that don't belong but then there is also the town break downs as well. Imo, the page should have fire depts, ems depts, village pd, town services etc etc. Basically when one clicks local fire the are not getting all the info where it belongs. As far as fire districts , departments and company's being separated, all fd should be a whole. or the fire depts should be broken down by divisions. There are a few ways to list all this but it really should be done to benefit people using the paid downloading service..

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Update on the zip code issue:

Per Lindsay, the zip code database is provided by the USPS and references a single county entity per zip code. Accounting for one minor exception like this would require a fairly large code change to the database. The purpose of the zip code "search" function is really just to help steer someone in the direction of data in the database. Anyone who lives in East Farmingdale should already be well aware of the Nassau/Suffolk issue with the 11735 zip code, and would probably know enough to check Suffolk County for any East Farmingdale frequencies they might be looking for.

D

DaveNF2G

Maybe, but "entry level" includes people who know only enough to enter their zip code and then assume that everything they want to hear will be downloaded and scanned. Someone who is new to scanning might have no idea about the relationship between East Farmingdale and the two counties.

I have no solution to suggest, either, except for possibly double listing East Farmindale under its true zipcode and again under the closest zipcode in the other county.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Maybe, but "entry level" includes people who know only enough to enter their zip code and then assume that everything they want to hear will be downloaded and scanned. Someone who is new to scanning might have no idea about the relationship between East Farmingdale and the two counties.

Very true.

I have no solution to suggest, either, except for possibly double listing East Farmindale under its true zipcode and again under the closest zipcode in the other county.

The true zipcode for East Farmingdale (Suffolk County) is 11735.
The true zipcode for Farmingdale, Farmingdale village and South Farmingdale (Nassau County) is 11735. I have seen other sites that use a zip function give a choice between the 2 counties.

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Well, we don't right now, so that's just kind of the way it is. Sorry.

Is that something that may happen in the future?

Another question,

When I view Suffolk fire departments on m.radioreference.com, the info is in freq order. At RadioReference.com, and on a desktop pc, this info is in alphabetical order. Is there a way or going to be a way to toggle how info is listed? It is nice to have the ability to see it in freq order when trying to see all users in the county sharing the same freq but its a little troublesome trying to look up a certain department by name....

sjman79

I keep a close eye on the Nassau section, and agree that straight alphabetical might be better. But, I think there is a system in place, based on how fire protection is administered in NY State. Municipalities (cities/inc. villages) must provide protection and may have their own departments or contract out. Those departments run by cities/villages are under the municipalities section. Fire districts are under the local fire section. Independent fire companies are in the other fire/ems section. So, by type of fire protection entity-municipal department, fire district or independent fire company, the listing is logical. It is not overly helpful to someone just looking for frequencies, and for whom such details are likely irrelevant. And, in fact, there are a few misplaced entries based even on that system, which I could submit separately (e.g. Valley Stream is an incorporated village, while Wantagh is a hamlet with a fire district.)

After a quick look, it seems that the same system was applied to Suffolk. I'm not sure how well the system was followed in other NY counties, or if in fact this classification was actually used, but it seems to me to be the case and largely correct for that classification system.

D

DaveNF2G

Information that was derived from my old website would not have been classified geopolitically below the county level. I had a straight alphabetical listing of departments by name within each county.

Status
Not open for further replies.